Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2013, 12:19   #1

Boat: 40'
iOS or Android?

Have managed to thoroughly confuse myself reading previous threads on nav & weather apps but start with a more basic question.

It's soon time for new phones and to add tablet(s) for back up etc as next year's plans call for travel outside our home waters and comfort zone. Figure it would be best to keep 2 phones + tablet on the same platform. What's your thought on IOS/Android choice considering nav, weather and other apps? Any other factors to consider in making a choice? (I'm assuming there are few votes out there for Windows but tell me if I'm wrong.)

thanks,
ChasD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2013, 13:10   #2

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34
Re: IOS OR ANDROID?

My wife has an iPhone and iPad, I have a Nexus 7. Both work fine and have good marine navigation aps. I use MxMariner on the Nexus for backup to my chartplotter. I also use Plan2Nav for its Active Captain database. There are similar aps for the Apple.

Apple probably makes the best product but Android is close and somewhat cheaper.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2013, 13:39   #3

I also use both, and pretty much agree with David. Both have good apps available, so not much basis to chose one vs the other on that front. I cannot think of any boat related app we use that is not equivalent on both platforms.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2013, 04:37   #4

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Whichever floats your boat. And presumably there's Win 8, too. Anyway, hardware-specific features -- like when is GPS available to the system -- are probably more significant that OS or hardware brand.

If cost matters, I suspect "equivalent" Android devices are still (and always will be) less expensive than Apple products; different business models.

FWIW, we use two different cell providers -- because in the early days of cellular coverage, we looked for higher-probability of connectivity no matter where we were. That's less of an issue now, but we do still find areas where one of us can connect while the other can't. My point is only that it might pay to spread your variouseggs over several baskets...

-Chris
Old 19-12-2013, 06:07   #5

Boat: Hunter 40.5

while a good question, you might as well be asking "Ginger or Mary Ann?" They both have their benefits. IOS charges a premium for their solution. App developers tend to focus on IOS because there is more revenue on that platform, but, IMHO, there will be more hardware & software innovation on android because it is more competitive and open.

I use both OSs, but not too heavily for sailing as I am trying to get away from work. But the ability to swap batteries is a big PLUS.
Old 19-12-2013, 06:40   #6

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

If you want security for your personal data on the device the choice NOT to make is Android.

More "open" means more vulnerable, and while Apple fixes bugs and security issues with updates that are pushed at you (you should allow that) Android is backed by the device makers who are less aggressive (or totally negligent) about updates.

"Android's share of mobile malware has increased by almost double in the last quarter, and now pegs in at 96 percent of the mobile malware market" Android accounts for most mobile malware, says F-Secure | ZDNet

Then again, there's Google's own policies about collecting your data to sell targeted ads at you. YOU are their product, the customer is their advertisers. How much do you trust them now and in the future?
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2013, 09:44   #7

Boat: Newport 28

The main factor in security, is the diligence of the user. I would bet that a vast majority of people that have "malware" attacks via their device, have inadvertently allowed questionable software by not paying attention to certain signals (horrible reviews, questionable permissions, etc). The report does mention that a lot of instances are also Premium SMS variants. Most of my experiences with those, while annoying, can be stopped via simple means. There are also mobile security options for Android, and I imagine iOS as well.

As for the rest though, I imagine both are comparable in apps. I've toyed with a few on my G2, and they seem reasonable. iOS does have a pertty hefty developer base, and I'm sure there are some really exceptional options for it, and usually sooner than a Droid release (I've seen that a lot, devs will get the iOS out first, and Droid 2nd).

iOS is a very stable platform. It's a nice advantage they enjoy, since they don't have multiple manufacturers changing things around. It's very user friendly for new users to smartphones/tablets. You lose some customization and personalizing that android offers, but that's also depending on what you look for. But you also have a lot more options in regards to phones, features, sizes, and whatnot when you go android. I personally don't like Apple myself, but that's a personal opinion of mine, and it's based on the company, not the products. But I have also had Android phones for going on 5 years now, never a single issue with them (I don't go "cheap" with the models, I always stay at least upper-mid range, though lately, it's been the upper models at release (Thunderbolt, Galaxy Nexus, and now the LG G2 - amazing phone, btw). That will also be something to remember: The "cheaper" the phone, the less satisfied you will be with the experience.

Another thing, is if you currently have either currently? Sometimes it's easier to stay with one over the other, if you already have it.
CharlzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2013, 12:53   #8
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Apple, there is no substitute........

dave
Old 19-12-2013, 15:06   #9

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Apple, there is no substitute........ dave
I agree, my iPhone 3GS is 4 years old & still works fine, I'am about ready to upgrade & it'll be another iPhone. I also like the performance & security of the apps from apple. I have a iPad also & the nav apps on it is much more useable because of its screen size.
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2013, 15:27   #10

Re: iOS or Android?

I'm a web developer looking to find an off-line way to make a living when I move aboard this summer. I'm curious to know what apps live-aboards find useful or would like to see developed.

I've thought of making an app that will download Google-Map data along with free chart data and make both available off-line on a Cellphone or computer. Is this a app any one on here would pay $1.99 for?
erobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2013, 16:53   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by erobert View Post
I'm a web developer looking to find an off-line way to make a living when I move aboard this summer. I'm curious to know what apps live-aboards find useful or would like to see developed.

I've thought of making an app that will download Google-Map data along with free chart data and make both available off-line on a Cellphone or computer. Is this a app any one on here would pay $1.99 for?
Most chart apps and google earth already work offline, so not sure this is the best market.
Old 19-12-2013, 17:02   #12

Boat: Beneteau 323
We have iOS (x1), Android (×4) and Windows 8.1 (x1) on our cruising boat.

We primarily use Android amd Windows 8.1.
svseachange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2013, 17:08   #13

Boat: Beneteau 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
Most chart apps and google earth already work offline, so not sure this is the best market.
+1 The market is already crowded. You are probably financially better off using your programming skills to create boring, profitable software or selling your time to somebody else.
svseachange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 08:39   #14

Boat: 40'

Thanks. Was attracted to move from Apple to take advantage of less expensive Android tablets but seems that it may be just as easy to keep the Apple phones and whatever tablet makes sense.

Does anyone have a means of creating a route on the PC (Open CPN) and then loading them onto nav apps on mobile devices?
ChasD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 08:46   #15

Android runs OpenCPN, so I assume you could do it quite easily. Might ask on the OpenCPN forum here at CF.