Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2012, 02:52   #16
Registered User
 
engele's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: On the boat -> PNW -> Mexico -> Central America
Boat: Seafarer 38
Posts: 360
Inavx uses a stupid system for charts. You have to buy them from xtraverse. Xtraverse will only allow you to re download them for two years, so in effect it's a rental as eventually you will update your iPad, buy a new one, or need to restore and lose your charts. This isn't a big deal if you sail USA only, but after paying fifty bucks for it, I would never do it again. If you are okay with that go ahead and buy it.
__________________

engele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 02:55   #17
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Currently in Spain
Boat: Hanse 385
Posts: 653
Re: iNavX Worth It If Getting a Full Blown System Soon?

Yeah I have to agree. The app itself is amazing.
Charts.. Not so much. If they supported other chart types + user installing charts they'd have a winner.
As it is I'm just hoping OpenCPN comes out with a kick ass iPad version soon.

Si
__________________

__________________
simonpickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 03:05   #18
Registered User
 
engele's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: On the boat -> PNW -> Mexico -> Central America
Boat: Seafarer 38
Posts: 360
Just tried to open up inavx again to see if the chart situation has changed. I even tried to buy the Navionics charts for the region we are sailing in and found out that I needed an x-traverse data plan in order to download the charts I had already purchased last year. On top of that, without signing up for the data plan I couldn't re download the charts I have already purchased.

In Short, the chart situation is worse than I thought, and it was already bad. Avoid inavx like the plague until the chart situation is resolved. I felt ripped off when I bought it and still do. On top of all of the rest, most of the charts are Raster Charts (USA), instead of vector charts.

There are many good plotter software packages that are not a rip off. Use your judgement and find one. The developer seems like an okay guy, but the chart situation pisses me off. If he would give refunds, I wouldn't be as pissed, but there is no warning of the shortfalls on a fifty dollar app. It's nuts.
engele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 03:09   #19
Registered User
 
engele's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: On the boat -> PNW -> Mexico -> Central America
Boat: Seafarer 38
Posts: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonpickard
Yeah I have to agree. The app itself is amazing.
Charts.. Not so much. If they supported other chart types + user installing charts they'd have a winner.
As it is I'm just hoping OpenCPN comes out with a kick ass iPad version soon.

Si
It would be nice if they mentioned that charts were with a third party subscription service on the iTunes page. Not just that it uses charts from x-traverse, but that you need an x-traverse data plan, and that x-traverse charts can only be downloaded for two years with a data plan and there is no way to back up your chart investment.

To anyone considering the app, take a look at x-traverse.com, read the fine print on the user agreement, and decide after that.
engele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 04:38   #20
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,172
Images: 15
Re: iNavX Worth It If Getting a Full Blown System Soon?

I like iNavX, but give this a try:

Memory Map | Mapping Software | Topographic Maps

More intuitive, easier to use. I use my phone as a backup for paper all the time. MM tracks easily, and I've not investigated all the other features, but I do believe it integrates with other devices.

ps: I've never bought a chart for iNavX, ever. I get them from NOAA, for free. You download BSB files.
__________________
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 07:49   #21
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Currently in Spain
Boat: Hanse 385
Posts: 653
Re: iNavX Worth It If Getting a Full Blown System Soon?

Does Memory Map work ok for you? It gets slated on the App Store!
__________________
simonpickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 09:24   #22
Registered User
 
engele's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: On the boat -> PNW -> Mexico -> Central America
Boat: Seafarer 38
Posts: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamif27
I like iNavX, but give this a try:

Memory Map | Mapping Software | Topographic Maps

More intuitive, easier to use. I use my phone as a backup for paper all the time. MM tracks easily, and I've not investigated all the other features, but I do believe it integrates with other devices.

ps: I've never bought a chart for iNavX, ever. I get them from NOAA, for free. You download BSB files.
NOAA only covers the USA
engele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 22:01   #23
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: On boat Panama
Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37 Elite cat
Posts: 13
Re: iNavX Worth It If Getting a Full Blown System Soon?

Question is what does the chart plotter chips for different areas cost? I love Inavx and ipad here in central America. San blas needs to be eyeballed cause the orig. maps were 1915 or so, but a handheld and a chart is easy. I also like my open CPN, free maps and the ability to split screen with google earth on my laptop with gps puck. Question is does your chart plotter use better or different maps than Inavx? I think not. Correct me if wrong. What is your boat worth, why not have all the redundant safety stuff you need. My cat came with 4 handheld gps when purchased. I bought my boat 3 months ago it is my first and I didn't know how to sail, after a month of work and bad trades here in Panama I was able to head out to. San Blas . Yea my engine mounts failed, I had engine outs from bad diesel, drug anchor in a storm, had to sit on a sand bank for 20 hours til high tide, had to carry the anchor out on my shoulder and set it to winch out, was embarrassed, got bruise and battered getting the engine fuel system bled in 9-12 ft seas, while trying to sail away from the coast, and this was all in one month, my first month on a 24 yr old cat that had set on the hard for 3.5 years. Did I see feel smell eat things no one else has, yes!
__________________
macpowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 22:13   #24
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Currently in Spain
Boat: Hanse 385
Posts: 653
Re: iNavX Worth It If Getting a Full Blown System Soon?

"Question is does your chart plotter use better or different maps than Inavx? I think not. Correct me if wrong."

They can use the same maps, but you have to buy them twice. That's what sucks.
__________________
simonpickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 11:36   #25
Registered User
 
engele's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: On the boat -> PNW -> Mexico -> Central America
Boat: Seafarer 38
Posts: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by macpowell
Question is what does the chart plotter chips for different areas cost? I love Inavx and ipad here in central America. San blas needs to be eyeballed cause the orig. maps were 1915 or so, but a handheld and a chart is easy. I also like my open CPN, free maps and the ability to split screen with google earth on my laptop with gps puck. Question is does your chart plotter use better or different maps than Inavx? I think not. Correct me if wrong. What is your boat worth, why not have all the redundant safety stuff you need. My cat came with 4 handheld gps when purchased. I bought my boat 3 months ago it is my first and I didn't know how to sail, after a month of work and bad trades here in Panama I was able to head out to. San Blas . Yea my engine mounts failed, I had engine outs from bad diesel, drug anchor in a storm, had to sit on a sand bank for 20 hours til high tide, had to carry the anchor out on my shoulder and set it to winch out, was embarrassed, got bruise and battered getting the engine fuel system bled in 9-12 ft seas, while trying to sail away from the coast, and this was all in one month, my first month on a 24 yr old cat that had set on the hard for 3.5 years. Did I see feel smell eat things no one else has, yes!

INavx uses raster charts rather than vector charts and you cannot load charts you already own, you are tied into X-traverse which requires a subscription if you want to download charts again (new ipad, ipad restore, etc.) I agree that having all tools cheaply available is a good idea, but there are cheaper better alternatives than getting tied into the x-traverse scam.
engele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:37   #26
Registered User
 
Pete the Cat's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Maine and California
Boat: Tartan 37 "Velera"
Posts: 338
Re: iNavX Worth It If Getting a Full Blown System Soon?

Inavx is a completely useless app. The folks who created it should be in jail. Charts do not quilt. Is anything but intuitive to use. Really hard to believe they were able to get this far with such a pathetic product. Personally, I think this product is not only poorly designed, it is dangerous because you cannot access charts of contiguous areas easily. Some attorney will eventually put them out of business when some cannot access the next chart in time. Save your money and maybe your life, avoid this app.
__________________
Ray Durkee
S/V Velera
Tartan 37
Castine, Maine
Pete the Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 20:31   #27
Registered User
 
appick's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Grand Rapids MI
Boat: 1973 Easterly 36
Posts: 446
Re: iNavX Worth It If Getting a Full Blown System Soon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete the Cat View Post
Inavx is a completely useless app. The folks who created it should be in jail. Charts do not quilt. Is anything but intuitive to use. Really hard to believe they were able to get this far with such a pathetic product. Personally, I think this product is not only poorly designed, it is dangerous because you cannot access charts of contiguous areas easily. Some attorney will eventually put them out of business when some cannot access the next chart in time. Save your money and maybe your life, avoid this app.

I know this is am old thread but... It never fails someone doesn't know HOW to use something so they bash it. I bet your VCR was terrible too because of the clock, never mind the directions in the printed manual!!! Pete how fast are you going that you need to flip through different map pages that quickly? You must have one of those racing catamarans or a fast power boat. The idea would be to put in your waypoints before navigating the route. This way you know where you're headed. The interface seems pretty logical to me I was able to figure it out in under 2 min. Once you get the hang of it. Use the plus or minus signs to see maps of a larger or smaller area. Or tap one of the red outline areas in a map and the option comes up to pull up that map. It really isn't as hard as your making it sound. Not even close to dangerous. I have no stake in it, I'm just a satisfied customer with a few hundred cruising miles on it over the last two years. It's a great app for a great price especially when compared to the several others I saw that were close to the $90 range! I got inavx for $30!
__________________
"If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea." Antoine de
appick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 20:48   #28
cruiser

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,130
Re: iNavX Worth It If Getting a Full Blown System Soon?

US raster and vector charts are both free. The app has nothing to do with that.

There's a lot of people here who don't understand the difference between the charts and the app. The rest of us are happy.
__________________

__________________
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
iNavX

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 17:19.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.