Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2016, 10:18   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Miura 31
iNavX update Aug 23, 2016 - Problems

I have been using iNavX on my iPad for a number of years with few problems. However, the latest update has changed the layout totally. Not only this, but some of my Navionics chart folios have disappeared and I cannot get GRIBs anymore. Anybody else having these problems?
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 10:31   #2

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41
Re: iNavX update Aug 23, 2016 - Problems

I learned the hard way that an Ipad doesn't really make a good chartplotter. maybe for casual route planning but not a chart plaotter. on a recent crossing of lake ontario in calm weather (glassy calm) the ipad overheated 2twice and shut down. leaving me without electronic nav for 2 45 minute periods while I let it cool down. I'm spending the money for a real chartplotter now.
pcmm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 10:39   #3
Marine Service Provider

I did not ask if an iPad was a good chart plotter. I asked if anybody else had a problem with the latest update of the iNavX app. If you want to debate the iPad as a chart plotter, please start your own thread with that subject header.
Old 24-08-2016, 11:57   #4

Boat: Rafiki 37

I use it, and thanks to your note will hold off doing the update. I see it is a point-0 update, which means a major update. I usually skip these till the inevitable point-1 comes out to fix all the problems.

Sorry to hear about your issues. I did have a problem a couple of years back and the support at iNavX was superb. Have you tried contacting them?

... but perhaps they're busy dealing with all the problems .
Old 24-08-2016, 12:26   #5
Marine Service Provider

Mike, I think they must be busy. I wrote to support earlier today but have had no reply. Problem is I have to do a test sail of the new Exqisite x5 in the morning but the boat has no charts in the plotter as yet. I normally just use my iPad, but now am a bit screwed. Ah well, just will have to hope I will be able to make some kind of plan first thing before going down to the boat. John.
Old 24-08-2016, 13:50   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

I've found their tech support for both OSX and IOS products to be the best of any marine app I've used... they are responsive to both bug fixes and feature enhancements....
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 10:46   #7

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

I've not updated yet but on our 4 week trip from the Annapolis area to Martha's Vineyard and back we had some serious hiccups on the iPad Air 2 - our vessel indicator completely disappeared and we had to reboot - once while coming into a new harb or at night. Scary. The iPad worked great, by the way
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 11:14   #8
Marine Service Provider

I must admit that I am quite surprised that no iNavX users have updated their systems yet - they must all be out sailing and enjoying themselves!

Just to update those that are interested, I have had a reply from the support team acknowledging they were aware of the GRIB problem, but could not understand that my chart folios (both 3XG and 46XG missing but 30XG was still available) had disappeared off the system. They have promised to rectify the problem and I have sent them all the requested information with the relevant screen grabs to try and show what has happened. The ball is now back in their court and I await a solution. Knowing the Apple methods of updates and the software update delays, this may take some time and I do suggest that users of the App wait for a further published update before updating their iPads. This is all very frustrating but, fortunately, I do not need the App right at the moment other than a bit of test sailing in the bay.
Old 25-08-2016, 11:50   #9

I have been using iNavx for a while, about 6 months after the original iPad was released.
One update, I found an area of the Chesapeake that would load the wrong charts. I was planning a night passage through tug infested waters. I contacted the developer, and he corrected promptly. Before I needed it. Do I have some paper charts? Yes. Another chartplotter? Yes.
On my only trip to a country 90 miles south of us did I have the only high detail charts? ( on somebody else's boat) Yes. But that's all just opinion.menu.
I just tried loading iNavx on an iPhone that never had it installed, and 4.7.4 loaded. App Store said an update was available, but I am going to load a couple charts first. Apples App Store would not open, but I was able to access the purchased menu.
Almost all my charts are NOAA, but they don't have detailed maps of other countries.
Redpcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 12:16   #10
cruiser

Thanks for the heads up. I'll wait until October to update one ipad, then see how it works prior to updating the other two and the iphone.

The original ipad won't present a problem since there hasn't been an uodate for three years.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 13:19   #11

Yes I can confirm I've got major problems with iNavX version 5 after the recent update. I run two identical iPads and they both crash iNavX on startup. After deleting the app, reinstalling and downloading charts again I could make it run UNTIL I tried to connect to the NMEA wifi. Instant crash again. I've managed a workaround by using TCP/IP Instead of UDP, but that took a reconfiguration of the NMEA wifi router. Using TCP/IP means you can only have one iPad connected at a time.
INavX have told me 2 to 3 weeks until the fix is done which is unbelievable.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
patrickvela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 21:26   #12

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence
iNavX update Aug 23, 2016 - Problems

I just got back on my boat after being on the hard for a MaxProp refurbishment, new cutlass bearing and bottom paint. INavX has crashed on both IPad Air 2 with 128 GB memory and IPhone 6s with 128 GB. Can't connect to my UDP set up Digital Yacht IAIS on either one. I also don't like the new bottom menu or the Routes functionality. When something works why change it?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 23:16   #13
cruiser

Can someone show me a screenshot of what the new INavx screen and menu looks like.

How does the app update? Is it automatic or am I given the choice on the iPad or iphone prior to the update so I can choose as to whether or not I want the update?

Ken
Old 25-08-2016, 23:59   #14
Marine Service Provider

Ken, the iNavX App updates itself if you have automatic updates set to on in your "settings" > "App Store" app. However, if that is turned off, you need to do a manual update when the App Store shows one is available.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1472194052.317419.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	130097

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1472194087.701080.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	130098

Routes are now accessed via the waypoints menu.
The chart page is identical to the old version with the exception of the "more" tab at the bottom, which brings up the weather, settings and a lot of the previous stuff.

I took the iPad on a sail yesterday and the chart worked as it did in the past - I am still missing my 3XG and 46XG purchased chart sets and cannot get GRIB files and since receiving the first reply to my query regarding the problems, the iNavX team are very quiet and no further correspondence has been received. I really cannot understand why the company has changed the app — Do not try and fix something If it ain't broke is still a good rule to go by!
Old 26-08-2016, 00:28   #15
cruiser

Thanks, I turned all the automatic update settings to "off" on our devices. I think what saved me was the cellular data update was turned off and I hadn't yet connected to a wifi source.

Thanks

Ken

Tags
iNavX