Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2016, 09:23   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom 35, Corroboree
iNavx--new user

We bought an iPad3 and installed iNax on it to use for a stand alone chart navigation system. It installed OK, but the tutorials and the help screens are not really good. I have some questions, but there is no one to ask for help--all you get are iNavx forum threads that don't answer what I need to know. So here goes with my most important question:

Near the top of the screen there is the instruments banner, and the instruments shown on my banner are different from those shown on other people's banners and on the tutorials--and these other people don't know the answer to my question. For example, the instruments that show on my banner are:

Vessel name
HDG (heading)
VAR (variation)
Alt (altitude_
Con (connection--presumably to the GPS)
HPE (horizontal position error)
LAT (Latitude)
LON (longitude)
SYT (System time)
UTC (Universal Coordinated Time)
AWP (something to do with waypoints)

What I want to show are COG, (course over ground) and SOG (speed over ground). I have the switches for those turned on, but they do not appear in the ribbon or in the Instruments view when you touch "Instruments" in the bottom tray on the display.

Thinking that the COG and the SOG would come onto the ribbon when I was moving, I did a test. I took the iPad in the car for a drive around town, but the COG and the SOG did not appear.

I have Location Services turned on in the iPad, so it should be receiving and calculating course and speed data, but it is not showing those things on the ribbon.

So my questions are, 1) how do I get the COG and SOG to appear in the instruments ribbon? and 2) is the ribbon editable so that I can set the order of the instruments that display?

Thanks to anyone who can help me.

Eric
ewsponberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 09:49   #2
cruiser

Re: iNavx--new user

Just tap on the wheel cog settings, then fill in your details and settings. If you have any difficulties, consult YouTube videos for help or email the app creator, he's very good about getting back to you the same day.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 10:02   #3
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Just tap on the wheel cog settings, then fill in your details and settings. If you have any difficulties, consult YouTube videos for help or email the app creator, he's very good about getting back to you the same day.
I did all that, and the COG and the SOC are turned on, but they don't show up on the ribbon.

Who is the app creator, and how do I get hold of him?

Eric
Old 29-06-2016, 10:19   #4
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewsponberg View Post
I did all that, and the COG and the SOC are turned on, but they don't show up on the ribbon.

Who is the app creator, and how do I get hold of him?

Eric
Eric "the naval architect,"

First off, a polite "please" and "thank you" goes a long way with me.

Ken "the anchorage bum and occasional RN."

Go the the screen I show in the picture. And try tapping on the right arrow next to my boat name Orinoco. This turns on the instrument bar. If the bar isn't showing, tap it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	274.7 KB
ID:	127144  
Old 29-06-2016, 10:22   #5
cruiser

Or, go to this screen and choose "preferences."
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	177
Size:	223.7 KB
ID:	127145  
Old 29-06-2016, 10:24   #6
cruiser

This window will then pop up. Choose everything, making each of the choices green.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	147
Size:	223.7 KB
ID:	127146  
Old 29-06-2016, 10:36   #7
cruiser

One final possibility. Did you purchase a cellular iPad? The cellular model is the one with the GPS antenna built in which makes it a stand alone device.
Old 29-06-2016, 10:46   #8

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

The ribbon on top displays all elements, you can SCROLL it to the left/right if there are more elements then space!

Envoyé de mon iPad à l'aide de Cruisers Sailing Forum
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 10:52   #9
Marine Service Provider

Hi Kenomac,

Yes, thank you for your help. Sorry if I am not being polite, I am usually a stickler for that myself. I am feeling a bit frustrated that the help available for this app seems to be only available in FAQs and forums that don't seem to address this specific problem. I am sure I must be doing something wrong or am missing some obvious setting. I do appreciate your assistance.

Yes, I got to the instruments screen, and I have all the instruments turned on that I want on, including COG and SOG. But COG and SOG are not showing up in the instrument ribbon anywhere, even when I slide it one way or another. And, if I select the "Instruments" tab on the bottom tray to bring up the big view of the showable instruments, it does not show COG or SOG there either.

As for the iPad, I was advised to buy an iPad2 or higher with a "wifi" connection as opposed to an AT&T or Verison connection, so that's what I did. I bought an iPad3 with 64GB of memory with "wifi". I have a friend who has an iPad2 with a "wifi" connection, and his unit works fine with iNavx.

You had mentioned the writer of the app--I don't know who that is or how to get hold of him.

Thanks for any further assistance that you can give.

Eric
Old 29-06-2016, 11:16   #10

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewsponberg View Post
Hi Kenomac,

Yes, thank you for your help. Sorry if I am not being polite, I am usually a stickler for that myself. I am feeling a bit frustrated that the help available for this app seems to be only available in FAQs and forums that don't seem to address this specific problem. I am sure I must be doing something wrong or am missing some obvious setting. I do appreciate your assistance.

Yes, I got to the instruments screen, and I have all the instruments turned on that I want on, including COG and SOG. But COG and SOG are not showing up in the instrument ribbon anywhere, even when I slide it one way or another. And, if I select the "Instruments" tab on the bottom tray to bring up the big view of the showable instruments, it does not show COG or SOG there either.

As for the iPad, I was advised to buy an iPad2 or higher with a "wifi" connection as opposed to an AT&T or Verison connection, so that's what I did. I bought an iPad3 with 64GB of memory with "wifi". I have a friend who has an iPad2 with a "wifi" connection, and his unit works fine with iNavx.

You had mentioned the writer of the app--I don't know who that is or how to get hold of him.

Thanks for any further assistance that you can give.

Eric
Unfortunately the Wifi version of the Ipad does not have a GPS antenna so you'll need to purchase a bluetooth GPS antenna if you want to use ANY navigation apps. Also I really don't like the fact that InavX requires you to purchase the normally freely available NOAA charts.
pcmm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 11:27   #11
cruiser

You need to purchase the extra gps antenna. It won't work if it's the wifi model. Is there a way you can return the ipad and purchase the verizon or at&t model? Your friend's ipad must be a model with an internal gps antenna.

This is THE problem.
Old 29-06-2016, 11:30   #12

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30

I had the same problem with the GPS issue. Bought a "Bad Elf" GPS that plugs in and all worked great.
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 14:10   #13
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
Unfortunately the Wifi version of the Ipad does not have a GPS antenna so you'll need to purchase a bluetooth GPS antenna if you want to use ANY navigation apps. Also I really don't like the fact that InavX requires you to purchase the normally freely available NOAA charts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
You need to purchase the extra gps antenna. It won't work if it's the wifi model. Is there a way you can return the ipad and purchase the verizon or at&t model? Your friend's ipad must be a model with an internal gps antenna.

This is THE problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mottseng View Post
I had the same problem with the GPS issue. Bought a "Bad Elf" GPS that plugs in and all worked great.
Thank you all for your advice. I guess I have to purchase a new GPS unit, although I wonder why would that affect the COG and the SOG windows appearingm or not, in the instruments ribbon? As for the charts, I was able to download the NOAA east coast charts for free, and they downloaded OK. There are hundreds of charts, and it took some time. One friend has an iPad2 with wifi and he does not seem to have this problem. I am checking on another friend and what iPad he has. I bought this iPad3 as a used but refurbished model to manufacturers specs through Glyde.com. It was in excellent condition, but after 30 days (and I think I am past that) I don't think I can return it. I like it so far, and if all I need is a new separate GPS antenna, I am willing to buy one.

Thanks for your advice, I'll start researching GPS models, including the Bad Elf--thanks for that.

Eric
Old 01-07-2016, 20:01   #14

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence
iNavx--new user

You have to have an "active route" selected and be moving to get all your checked "on" instrument settings to show up. Try that and if it doesn't work, then you will need an external GPS. Just moving without a route selected won't show them all. I have an older IPad and a 128Gb Air 2 both with Verizon cellular.

Do you get Latitude and Longitude position to show up in the Instrument Bar If so, you might have GPS.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 05:48   #15
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Clark H356 View Post
You have to have an "active route" selected and be moving to get all your checked "on" instrument settings to show up. Try that and if it doesn't work, then you will need an external GPS. Just moving without a route selected won't show them all. I have an older IPad and a 128Gb Air 2 both with Verizon cellular.

Do you get Latitude and Longitude position to show up in the Instrument Bar If so, you might have GPS.
Thanks, J Clark. The one time I had the iPad3 out on the boat, it was not getting a "connection" (CON instrument). When I had it in the car, it was giving me a connection, I think through the local cell towers, and the boat icon could be seen roving around town on the screen. Still, it would not show COG or SOG. So I don't think I need to have a route entered, but at the same time I seem to not have a built-in GPS antenna in this iPad 3 wifi, and that is why I do not have full functionality, as confirmed by the others above.

See my next entry for an update on my research of this problem.

Thanks for your help,

Eric

Tags
iNavX