Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2016, 06:16   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom 35, Corroboree
Re: iNavx--new user

UPDATE: Here is what I have learned lately. First, my friend with the iPad 2 does not really know, as it turns out, if his unit is wifi only or rigged with an AT&T or Verizon antenna, but it is probably one or the other. I'll be visiting with him this afternoon to learn more. The other friend has an iPad Air 2 with a Verizon connection, as it turns out, and so he has the latest model iPad with the proper antenna.

I was directed to a website by Francis Fustier, a French sailor, who give a very cogent discussion on the appropriate iPads to use for navigation:

Link: What iPad for navigation ? [Update] – Navigation Mac

Basically, he says that the iPad 3 and 4 are the worst models to use, mostly because they are not new enough technology over the iPad 2 to make the purchase worthwhile, besides which their batteries are poorer, taking 5 hours 40 minutes to recharge, wheras the iPad 2 takes 2 hours less (3 h 40 m) to charge. The Air models have the best screens for daylight viewing, plus their batteries are better and recharge in 3 h 30 m. If you have an older iPad 2, keep it, it works fine, but it will likely go obsolete soon. If you go new, get the iPad Air or the iPad Air 2, they are the best (also the most expensive).

I also contacted Glyde.com where I bought my iPad 3, and since they are a used machine dealer, you get only 72 hours to return your purchase. Gee, it takes you longer than that just to open the thing up and get it set up for your own navigation. If you are new to this stuff, like me, it is hard to act more quickly. So I can't return it for a refund, but I can sell it back to them for about half what I paid for it. So there is some recourse to minimize my loss.

So here are my options with associated costs. Note that I spent $259.94 for the iPad 3, and $68.89 for the Lifeproof watertight case = $328.83 total cost. If I keep the iPad 3, I have not lost any money. If I sell the iPad 3 and purchase an iPad 2, I can keep the WT cover. If I buy an Air or Air 2, I also have to buy a new WT cover.

Option #1: Keep the iPad 3 and purchase a bluetooth GPS (Dual XGPS150A = $84.95 plus shipping. This is probably the cheapest and easiest solution, but maybe not the ideal technology.

Option #2: Sell the iPad 3 back to Glyde.com, and buy an iPad 2 with 64 GB memory and AT&T antenna. Out of pocket cost = $179.00. I keep the WT case, and I make back approx. $126.00 or so selling the iPad 3 back. Net extra cost considering the buy-back = $53.00. Cheaper cost overall, perhaps better technology with the older model.

Option #3: Sell the iPad 3 back to Glyde.com, and buy an iPad Air with 64 GB memory and AT&T Antenna. Needs a new WT case to fit the new model iPad. Out of pocket cost = iPad Air $329.00 + WT case $39.99 = $368.99. Less the buy-back price, net extra cost = $242.99.

Option #4: Sell the iPad 3 back to Glyde.com, buy buy an iPad Air 2 with either 64 for 128 GB memory and AT&T antenna. Needs new WT case to fit the new model iPad. Out of pocket cost = iPad Air 2 64 GB $567.00 + WT case $116.99 = $683.99. Less the buy-back price, net extra cost = $557.99. Out of pocket cost = iPad Air 2 128 GB $657.00 + WT case $116.99 = $733.99. Less the buy-back price, net extra cost = $607.99.

So, I will consider all of the above and make a decision which will have to take into account the size of my wallet. See the next entry for another thought and question to which I do not know the answer.

I hope the above data helps someone else with this problem.

Eric
ewsponberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 06:22   #17
Marine Service Provider

In setting up our boat for extended cruising, we are also contemplating getting a satellite communicator such as the Iridium Go sat phone which has voice as well as text and email capability, or the Delorme unit which can supply email and text capability, but not voice. I believe both of these units must have a GPS antenna, so will an iPad be able to communicate with either of these and use their GPS capability to do the navigation? Then if so, do I not need the extra Bluetooth GPS? Does anyone have experience with this set-up?

I really appreciate your feedback.

Eric
Old 02-07-2016, 07:08   #18

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence

Eric: I have a Globalstar 1700 with a Redpoint optimizer I used with X Gate. I used the XGate subscription while cruising in Florida a couple of years ago for getting Internet while offshore. I also have a SpotGen3. I don't think either of them would provide a GPS signal you could use on the IPad. I am familiar with the DeLorme InReach as my mountain climbing son has one and we text on it. It has built in GPS like the Spot but more capability, but I don't think you could link it's GPS either. I think your best bet is to trade up for an IPad with GPS, otherwise you are going to be always somewhat compromised.

I have one of my IPads (the old one) in a waterproof case, but I also use my latest one in the cockpit. I have a full Bimini and full enclosure I use from October through Mid May. I use my IPad with INavX to show AIS targets and it is strictly a backup to my on-board older Raymarine system with Radar/sonar/6000 Autopilot system.

I also use Navionics on the IPad and use it now for logging.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1467467875.941079.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	127279Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1467467967.848261.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	127280

I also use a laptop integrated into my Raymarine system to display repeated information from the Chartplotter and it will also display Class A AIS targets

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 07:27   #19
Marine Service Provider

Thanks, J Clark. I don't have all that other electronic stuff, and there is not enough room to put it on my boat anyway. I am looking for the simplest and least expensive way to have electronic charts and capability on the boat with the minimum of installation. When this boat was built, in 1987, none of this electronic stuff even existed. So the fact that a stand-alone iPad could give me the capability I want, that seems like a very simple solution. Yes, I will likely have to upgrade to a better iPad, so I am considering that. I also have a message into Delorme to ask them specifically if their Explorer model can feed the GPS location information into iNavX on the iPad. I'll keep reporting back what I find. I can't be the only person with this predicament.

Thanks for your help.

Eric
Old 02-07-2016, 09:33   #20
cruiser

Eric,

Sell your ipad and lifeproof case on ebay, then you'll only be down 10-15%.

Purchase an ipad air 1 or air 2 on ebay, looking for one with an apple care plan. You should be able to find a cellular model air 2 with 128gb for under $450. Then buy a lifeproof case for it.

Then you'll be all set for six years.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:52   #21

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I would be more comfortable with several GPS receivers, rather than one shared one.
donradcliffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 11:45   #22
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
I would be more comfortable with several GPS receivers, rather than one shared one.
His smart phone would make two. Extra nice if it happens to be an iphone 6 with the ability to run INavx for $29.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:15   #23

If you plan to use the iPad as your sole navigation system, and can afford it, then I recommend keeping the current iPad as a backup and purchasing a new iPad Air 2 or even the iPad Pro. I'm almost certain that the charts you purchase can be used on up to two devices, so no extra charting costs that way. Electronics can and do fail, and I'm a sucker for redundancy. That's on top of the paper charts that you should always have aboard as well

Also, do you have a way to power the iPad while under way? I use an iPaid Air 2 and estimate I could get through a 5-6 hour leg before the battery dies.
antoniofhowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:01   #24
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by antoniofhowe View Post
If you plan to use the iPad as your sole navigation system, and can afford it, then I recommend keeping the current iPad as a backup and purchasing a new iPad Air 2 or even the iPad Pro. I'm almost certain that the charts you purchase can be used on up to two devices, so no extra charting costs that way. Electronics can and do fail, and I'm a sucker for redundancy. That's on top of the paper charts that you should always have aboard as well

Also, do you have a way to power the iPad while under way? I use an iPaid Air 2 and estimate I could get through a 5-6 hour leg before the battery dies.
We figure we'll use an iPad for primary navigation with perhaps a backup on our computers. I like the concept of the iPad as a stand-alone device that does not have to be wired or linked to any other devices, which we don't have anyway. We also have two sextants and will get paper charts so that we can navigate celestially. We were pretty proficient with celestial navigation about 40 years ago when we crossed the Atlantic and Caribbean in a much smaller boat. So we are re-learning our skills now. We have very limited space on the boat and can manage an iPad for navigation, but how many back ups does one really need? Do you have back ups for your back ups, and perhaps one needs more back ups for those? With more backups, there is more management and maintenance. The charts on the iPad are the primary navigation source, perhaps we'll have the charts on the computer as well, and we have the sextants and paper charts, plus a hand bearing compass.

The iPad and our cell phones can charge off the DC system. the AC system, and directly off the solar panels through the solar controller--there is a USB charging port there, and I can plug in a port replicator (multiplier) to charge multiple devices at the same time.

Thanks for your input. At this point we are thinking of selling the iPad 3 and buying an iPad 2, which is the least expensive option with the least number of devices for the best performance. I'll stay posted with what we finally decide.

Eric
Old 10-07-2016, 07:54   #25
Marine Service Provider

I elected to go ahead with selling back the iPad 3 to Glyde and buying a refurbished iPad 2. This all happened very quickly. At Glyde, you get to pick your selling price (and Glyde makes recommendations) and the higher you pick the longer it may take. I chose the middle ground, best selling price, kind of in the middle, and it sold within 24 hours. Glyde sent me a box to send the unit onto the next owner, and they will credit my account which I can transfer to my bank.

In the meantime, I bought the iPad 2 with cellular, and it came in a few days. We had it out on the boat yesterday, and it seemed to work flawlessly, giving us speed over ground, course over ground, accurate Lat-Lon, and the system time and Greenwich time ticked away identically second for second. So for the minimum extra investment, we seem to have a working chart plotter. I am relieved! And thank you to all who contributed your advice--all the comments helped me home into the solution that was best for us for the time being.

One other thing happened, however. The Lifeproof waterproof case would not close tightly all around over the new iPad 2. I don't know the reason, as it is supposed to fit it. I went back to the seller who quickly agreed to take it back and issue a refund. I ordered another new one from a different source and it should be here in a few days.

Thanks again to all who helped, and I hope this thread helps others.

Eric

Tags
iNavX