Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2013, 03:29   #1
cruiser

Inavx - if I upgrade my Ipad / Ipad mini

Ok, so I have searched through a few threads and this question has not really been answered to my satisfaction.

I want to get started in Inavx, so, I am going to buy a cheapo early generation Ipad and Ipad mini, and the xtraverse charts I am going to buy for my local sailing area. So, yes, thats two devices - an Ipad and Ipad Mini.

Right, now, a couple years down the track I might shout myself an upgrade and get a fancy new Ipad Air Generation XX and Ipad mini with super duper retina better than ever display blah blah or whatever the hell is available in the year 2016. So, in short then, two new Ipad devices.

I see no issue transferring the Inavx App to each new device. But - it is not clear that I will be able to transfer all the charts I have paid my good money for, to the new Ipad and Ipad mini devices from the old. Note: I am not talking about chart updates, I realise I will have to pay a yearly subscription to get updates, it is the charts themselves - are they forever? If I buy them from Xtraverse for exclusive use with Inavx, will I be able to transfer those charts direct to two new Ipad & Mini devices a few years down the track?
LBW399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:19   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Inavx - if I upgrade my Ipad / Ipad mini

I doubt it -- the charts are downloaded and unlocked in your specific device. You would have to ask the publisher to do it. Possibly there is some policy to allow you to migrate old charts to a new device.

The charts are forever, apparently. I'll tell you a good story about that --

I use INavX and Navionics charts as a backup plotter on my boat. They are two or three years out of date, but since they are just backup, that's good enough for me for the moment.

Last summer I sailed into the Bay of Biscay and off the edge of the charts of my main navigation system, which made me exceedingly nervous. What is worse is that I didn't have those charts on my IPad, either, although they were part of the area I had bought. I had simply not downloaded them as I had not needed them.

Imagine my surprise when I found out that I could still download charts. Un-updated ones, curiously enough -- charts of that age, which corresponded to my license. It was nice not to have to buy a whole new license, since I am not planning to keep the IPlod much longer.

That's Navionics Europe -- it may vary by publisher.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:25   #3

Boat: Contest 36'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I'll tell you a good story about that -- I use INavX and Navionics.

Kiwi... I think they will be considered an "in-app purchase" which can then be "restored" on the new device. There is a limit to how many devices can have these at one time, but you deactivate the old. It's done all the time. Let me tell you a story about...... Oh, Never mind
Old 12-11-2013, 11:03   #4
cruiser

Heh heh, thanks Windlove and Dock -- no worries about the mention of Navionics.

My concern is not with the App transfer, its the charts in themselves.
If you are having to "re-buy" your X-traverse charts each time you uprgrade your Ipads, then that is not very good is it.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:58   #5

Boat: Contest 36'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi399 View Post
If you are having to "re-buy" your X-traverse charts each time you uprgrade your Ipads, then that is not very good is it.
Unless I am missing something, the purchased charts will be a part of the restore process after installing the app on the new device. At least that's the way it works in Navionics and Garmin... I have both apps. If I load the app on a new device I then have to go in to the settings of the app and select "Restore in-app Purchases" and it downloads the charts I have purchased on the other device.

You'll be fine.
Old 12-11-2013, 20:37   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

When I got a new ipad I moved all my charts to the new one with no issues. I have the same charts on the last two iPhones as well.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 21:57   #7
cruiser

Talking Re: Inavx - if I upgrade my Ipad / Ipad mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
When I got a new ipad I moved all my charts to the new one with no issues. I have the same charts on the last two iPhones as well.
How can I not trust an attorney....

Ok, so you definitely talking the X-traverse charts the sell specifically for Inavx?
Old 12-11-2013, 22:22   #8
Marine Service Provider

X-traverse sells a lot of different charts, I can't swear that they all work the same way. But the Navionics charts I have were portable to new items (I think up to five). It may be worth the phone call to x-traverse to confirm your concerns.

Old 12-11-2013, 22:35   #9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
X-traverse sells a lot of different charts, I can't swear that they all work the same way. But the Navionics charts I have were portable to new items (I think up to five). It may be worth the phone call to x-traverse to confirm your concerns.
Sorted then. Cheers.
Old 13-11-2013, 14:03   #10
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
How can I not trust an attorney....
If it helps at all I also hold a 100tonn captains license. We all know captains are the pinnacle of honesty (especially fishing guids).

And I once stayed in a Holliday Inn Express.

I really would check the TOS for each of the charts thou. It crossed my mind that the Carribean Navionics, and EU may have different rules about different devices.

Old 13-11-2013, 14:29   #11

Boat: Watkins Sea Wolf 25

Quote:
If I buy them from Xtraverse for exclusive use with Inavx, will I be able to transfer those charts direct to two new Ipad & Mini devices a few years down the track?
If you bought the charts as an "in-app purchase," they will be transferred to any and all new devices using the SAME Apple ID, along with the updated app when you install it. What's more, any updates you purchased before switching gadgets will also transfer. The only caveat is that you must use the SAME Apple ID.

I have several Apple devices and whatever I buy on one of them auto-downloads (a setting preference) to all the others. And I did not buy them all at the same time. When setting up any new Apple device, you'll be asked for an Apple ID. Use the same one as the old device and you will have access to everything you bought with that Apple ID.

As a fail-safe, make sure you back up the contents of all your devices, using something like iCloud, SugarSync or an external hard drive--or all three, as I do.
Old 13-11-2013, 16:51   #12

Boat: Hanse 385

Another thread about the messy world of digital charts.
The more I look into an elegant solution the more I want to scream.

What I want:
The same charts on my Plotter, iPad, Macbook Pro. All syncing the same routes, etc.

What we have:
Nothing talks with anything else. And you have to buy the exact same chart in the example above, 3 different times.

I wish they'd all meet in a room and sort this mess out.
simonpickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2013, 17:36   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonpickard View Post
Another thread about the messy world of digital charts.
The more I look into an elegant solution the more I want to scream.

What I want:
The same charts on my Plotter, iPad, Macbook Pro. All syncing the same routes, etc.

What we have:
Nothing talks with anything else. And you have to buy the exact same chart in the example above, 3 different times.

I wish they'd all meet in a room and sort this mess out.
The charts on your iPad and MacBook Pro should always be the same IF the same Apple ID is used on both devices. Can't speak to the plotter.
Old 13-11-2013, 18:17   #14

Boat: Hanse 385

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFeather View Post
The charts on your iPad and MacBook Pro should always be the same IF the same Apple ID is used on both devices. Can't speak to the plotter.
Nope, guess again.
I asked this. The licencing for the iPad is different then for Windows / Mac.

You have to buy them again. Nothing is linked to your AppleID when it comes to charts.
simonpickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2013, 18:24   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonpickard View Post
Nope, guess again.
I asked this. The licencing for the iPad is different then for Windows / Mac.

You have to buy them again. Nothing is linked to your AppleID when it comes to charts.
If you're running Windows software on iOS (using Quartz or Wine or something similar), then of course you'd have to buy them twice, since an iPad can't actually "run" anything except an app. I understood the OP to have meant that he bought all of his charts as in-app purchases for his iOS device. I gather you didn't? Does this mean the only apps available for charts do not run on all iOS devices, only on iPad/iPhone? That'd be a handy piece of info to have, since if that's the case, it'd make more sense to buy the Microsoft software, then use Quartz or Wine to run it on iOS without having to buy it again. NB: This presumes the iMac/MacBook Pro/MacBook Air in question has an Intel chipset.

Tags
iNavX, Ipad