Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2013, 18:49   #16

Boat: Watkins Sea Wolf 25
Re: Inavx - if I upgrade my Ipad / Ipad mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonpickard View Post
Nope, guess again.
I asked this. The licencing for the iPad is different then for Windows / Mac.

You have to buy them again. Nothing is linked to your AppleID when it comes to charts.
Sorry for the double post, but I just realized something: When you say the licensing is different, are you saying that the same company makes three different versions of its software--one for windows, one for Mac and another for iPhone/iPad? That's crazy. Not saying companies don't do crazy things, but that would be a really bad business model. If, however, you mean that one company makes a Windows/Mac software and another company makes the iPad/iPhone app, that makes sense. It's not so helpful to potential app buyers, but I can see why a company that makes chart software but has no app-building experience would do that and vice versa.
Old 13-11-2013, 19:11   #17

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFeather View Post
If you're running Windows software on iOS (using Quartz or Wine or something similar), then of course you'd have to buy them twice, since an iPad can't actually "run" anything except an app. I understood the OP to have meant that he bought all of his charts as in-app purchases for his iOS device. I gather you didn't? Does this mean the only apps available for charts do not run on all iOS devices, only on iPad/iPhone? That'd be a handy piece of info to have, since if that's the case, it'd make more sense to buy the Microsoft software, then use Quartz or Wine to run it on iOS without having to buy it again. NB: This presumes the iMac/MacBook Pro/MacBook Air in question has an Intel chipset.
I think you are confused. Macs don't run iOS, they run OSx.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2013, 19:15   #18
cruiser

Quote:
Sorry for the double post, but I just realized something: When you say the licensing is different, are you saying that the same company makes three different versions of its software--one for windows, one for Mac and another for iPhone/iPad? That's crazy. Not saying companies don't do crazy things, but that would be a really bad business model. If, however, you mean that one company makes a Windows/Mac software and another company makes the iPad/iPhone app, that makes sense. It's not so helpful to potential app buyers, but I can see why a company that makes chart software but has no app-building experience would do that and vice versa.

Now I am the one going crazy . Now we have Mr Pickard saying I will indeed have to "re-buy" the charts if I want to use them on new Ipads.
Well, I think that is what he is saying.

It would be good if someone from Inavx could come on here and just cut to the chase.
All I want answered is a very simple question: If I dump my two old Ipads, and buy two new ones, will I will be able to transfer the charts I bought for Inavx through the online chart agent 'X-Traverse".

I talk about two Ipads, because I understand the licence is for two Apple devices. So, when I 'upgrade' I will chuck out the two Ipads I have, buy two more, and I want to be able to transfer the charts. I don't want to have to pay for them again, and I sure as hell don't see why I should.

Simple - I thought......
LBW399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2013, 19:25   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
I think you are confused. Macs don't run iOS, they run OSx.
Sorry, this is what comes from puling all-nighters back-to-back, but in response to the OP's original question... (Though I do think it's possible to run iOS software on OSX--it depends. And you can definitely run Windows software on OSX devices with the latest Intel chips. I do it every day.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi399 View Post
All I want answered is a very simple question: If I dump my two old Ipads, and buy two new ones, will I will be able to transfer the charts I bought for Inavx through the online chart agent 'X-Traverse". ... I talk about two Ipads
IF he bought the charts as in-app purchases on the original iPad and uses the same Apple ID on the new iPad that he used to buy them originally, he can download the app and the charts to the new device without having to repurchase either the app or the charts. Also, if he backs up the old info (app and charts), he can download that to the new device.
Old 29-11-2013, 23:41   #20

I addressed this question in a previous post found here http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ost-77382.html

From my experience and what I've read, iNavx/Xtraverse seems to help their customers out. But make no mistake after a year you have ZERO rights to reacquire your purchased maps from the company. I recently upgraded the iOS on my ipad and lost all my maps. I was able to reload one of my three purchased maps but the other two are no where to be found. I will be contacting xtraverse to see if they can help but as I said, I have no legal rights to those maps after a year.
tinpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 19:09   #21
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinpusher View Post
I addressed this question in a previous post found here http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ost-77382.html

From my experience and what I've read, iNavx/Xtraverse seems to help their customers out. But make no mistake after a year you have ZERO rights to reacquire your purchased maps from the company. I recently upgraded the iOS on my ipad and lost all my maps. I was able to reload one of my three purchased maps but the other two are no where to be found. I will be contacting xtraverse to see if they can help but as I said, I have no legal rights to those maps after a year.

Yes, I have since confirmed that you are 100% correct. If you have bought new Ipads, you will have to rebuy the charts once the 12 month contract runs out.
Old 01-12-2013, 21:34   #22

Quote:
Yes, I have since confirmed that you are 100% correct. If you have bought new Ipads, you will have to rebuy the charts once the 12 month contract runs out.
Did you confirm by contacting the company? Because if that's true, then it doesn't matter whether you upgrade your ipads or not. If you're not buying the charts but rather a license to use them for a year, then you'll have to buy the charts again even with your existing ipad since the license to use it will run out in a year.
Old 02-12-2013, 00:04   #23
cruiser

Quote:
Did you confirm by contacting the company? Because if that's true, then it doesn't matter whether you upgrade your ipads or not. If you're not buying the charts but rather a license to use them for a year, then you'll have to buy the charts again even with your existing ipad since the license to use it will run out in a year.
A friend confirmed with X-traverse.

The license to keep using the charts forever is ONLY for your two CURRENT machines.
IF you change BOTH Ipads then you WILL have to rebuy when the year runs out, IF you DON'T change ipads, then you wont lose the charts even if you stop paying for the chart updates.

But if you have changed ipads within that license year, then once the year is up, they system will not allow you to use those charts you thought you had forever until you rebuy them.

For instance, lets say you have an Ipad 3 and an Ipad mini at the moment, and you have the X-traverse charts. Your annual subscription is for chart updates not to actually keep the charts, as the charts are forever if you keep those two same ipad units and never upgrade them.

But - lets say you want to get a new Ipad Air,and a new Ipad Mini Air as replacements for your current two machines.
You will eventually then have to rebuy all the charts because once both activations of a purchase have expired after 365 days that you initally purchased for the PREVIOUS ipads, then yes -- you would at that point need to buy a new set of charts for the new iPads. You can transfer the activation to the new Ipads, but once its licensed year runs out the system will then realise you have a new ipad and the charts you thought were forever will have to be repurchased for the new ipad.

So, rather than think license, think activations. The activations that allow you to use the charts forever are only actually forever if you never change the physical actual Ipad that you activated the license on.

I think this is not very good of X-traverse. They must know that over time all users will eventually upgrade to new ipad or iphone units.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:58   #24

Quote:
A friend confirmed with X-traverse.

The license to keep using the charts forever is ONLY for your two CURRENT machines.
IF you change BOTH Ipads then you WILL have to rebuy when the year runs out, IF you DON'T change ipads, then you wont lose the charts even if you stop paying for the chart updates.

But if you have changed ipads within that license year, then once the year is up, they system will not allow you to use those charts you thought you had forever until you rebuy them.
That sucks. And I'm sure X-traverse planned the app that way. Any other app let's you use Apple's default of 10 devices.
Old 18-09-2014, 12:01   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindLove View Post
Kiwi... I think they will be considered an "in-app purchase" which can then be "restored" on the new device. There is a limit to how many devices can have these at one time, but you deactivate the old. It's done all the time. Let me tell you a story about...... Oh, Never mind
HI WindLove. As a black belt 5th Dan in Sarcasm, I find that it took a lot of years of practice to control the skill set.

Life goes easier for me now.

I would recommend to anyone contemplating the path I trod, and it is not an easy one, to realise that there is a fine line between sarcasm proper and rudeness. One is an art form that can be practiced and only later the recipient becomes aware of it, and the other will cause problems in communications between people both in private and public.

I am so glad I was here to offer this advice early in your CF communications as a fellow CFer and nothing else. I only have your best interests at heart.

Just saying.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iNavX, Ipad