Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2018, 13:21   #91

Re: iNavX charts disappeared (Navionics)

I had the same problem and had it all sorted out and working as required, see post #80 above, i also resubscribed on the 6th April 18 so all charts are now up to date

Yesterday i received a email from Fugawi politely reminding me that my subscription is about to expire on the 5th May 18 and would i like to renew

I have replied to the renewal notice and attached the Fugawi Order Confirmation that i received when i resubscribed, hopefully it's just a clerical error and all will be sorted soon.......

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2018, 22:54   #92

Boat: Rayvin 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Yes … me to . I wonder if I dare try and load all the charts now. I’d hate to have to do this (again), only to lose my Great Lakes charts and have to load them, one by one, all again.

Shaun? Has this glitch been fixed now?

Hi Mike
I think the chart subscription is through Fugawi. Once that expires I don’t think you can update or download if you have not already done so. You can keep what you’ve got. It appears that if you attempt to update or download after you subscription has expired that you might then loose everything. Shaun, can you confirm?
SteveG58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 07:31   #93

Boat: 2010 Lagoon 421

iNavX is a flawed app, with promise, at least to my current and new experience.

We are currently in the Bahamas, new sailors, we left Florida on a new to us boat at the end of Feb 2018.

I was delighted to find the Explorer charts available as a download, which I did, as well Navionics. Using an iPad.

What the app does NOT warn you about is the following:

Despite claiming that “once you have downloaded the map it is always available” yada yada, THIS IS NOT TRUE. I think what is the case is that the app, ASSUMES, that it can offload maps from your device to the cloud. This means that:

a) If you have a network connection that is Internet-connected, things are just peachy.
b) If you have a network connection that is NOT Internet-connected, the app just sits there with a half-loaded screen. So, f’rex, on our boat we have our Vesper AIS connected to our boat network, which is not our Internet network - you cannot run both at the same time.
c) If you remove the iPad from any network, the app loads, but now not all of the maps are available in high def.

I have not been able to find any way to change this behaviour. It is tedious. I am looking for a better app. Assuming that everyone is always connected to the Internet / has the data allowance to download constantly seems silly.

Am I missing something? I never have before [emoji79]
BigNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 07:45   #94

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG58 View Post
Hi Mike
I think the chart subscription is through Fugawi. Once that expires I don’t think you can update or download if you have not already done so. You can keep what you’ve got. It appears that if you attempt to update or download after you subscription has expired that you might then loose everything. Shaun, can you confirm?
Thanks Steve, but that’s not my issue. I understand how it all works — or rather, how it is supposed to work.

BigNut: I’ve not seen this behaviour where iNavx demands an active network. The charts are (or should be) stored locally on your iThing once they are loaded. Unfortunately many of us have experienced the “disappearing charts” problem, along with other issues.

I used to be an unabashed booster of iNavx (as you can read on CF in many earlier posts). I still like the software and charts, although I dislike the license model they use. But I’ve lived with that for many happy years.

Sadly, with all the glitches I’ve experienced over the last 1.5 years, I’ve come to distrust the tool.
Old 19-04-2018, 08:33   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
BigNut: I’ve not seen this behaviour where iNavx demands an active network. The charts are (or should be) stored locally on your iThing once they are loaded.
Well, I can't really say it DEMANDS anything.

My conclusions are from playing with it, and having to reload the thing if I needed to go to the Vesper (and hence open a non-Internet network connection while it is runnung).

For me, it just sits there, spinning a black screen where the map goes. Methinks they have not thought out the user base well. Folks who don't always have Internet. Folks with multiple networks.

Agree can't trust it, it lets me down at the most inconvenient times. Not that any time is convenient.

If I sound like a grumpy old man, well, I guess I am.
Old 19-04-2018, 16:21   #96
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Big nut
For Explorer charts you need to download them all first. At least every place you intend I go. To download them is tedious, you need to go to every place and every resolution and have it open. Once I opens it is stored.

To USE iNavex it is best to NOT have it connected to any network. I turn off WIFI because I have a repeater it will lock on even mid ocean. If it sees a network it will try to update the charts or something. I think that is what is going on with you.

I don’t know what to do if you rely upon a WiFi for AIS, I have a separate dedicated AIS screen. Perhaps Shaun will chime in here also.

Frankly this is turning into a great FAQ page.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 17:07   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Big nut
For Explorer charts you need to download them all first.
Fair enough, no disagreement here.

Quote:
At least every place you intend I go. To download them is tedious, you need to go to every place and every resolution and have it open.
Yes, EXACTLY. While the manual and app tells you they are downloaded, they are not. That's crappy. And what if I change m mind? While I have no / really expensive Internet?

Quote:
Once I opens it is stored.
Nope. Nope, it ain't. For example, I downloaded the Explorer charts. Went to Bimini, couldn't see the detail. Downloaded the detail. Went down the chain. Now in Exumas. Wanted to send a friend information about Bimini. No longer there in detail, only the crappy resolution. Tha's crappy.

Quote:
To USE iNavex it is best to NOT have it connected to any network.
Well, this is 2018. Networking is not exactly new, and NO, this is NOT acceptable.

Quote:
I turn off WIFI because I have a repeater it will lock on even mid ocean. If it sees a network it will try to update the charts or something. I think that is what is going on with you.
Yes, I agree

Quote:
Frankly this is turning into a great FAQ page.
Well, I think it is turning into a "Why iNavX is really crappy" thread.

Why do so many folks promote apps that are only good enough to get you bitten and subscribed. The devil is in the details.
Old 19-04-2018, 17:36   #98
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Big nut,

I’m sorry you are having these issues. I am not. It works just fine for me.
Old 19-04-2018, 18:00   #99

Quote:
Big nut,

I’m sorry you are having these issues. I am not. It works just fine for me.

I’m glad you are happy with it, hpeer. However, you did state that you have to turn off your network in the middle of the ocean, and have to tediously download every detail you may need. How is that “no issues”?

Not picking a fight, just pointing out what seems illogical to me. [emoji120]
Old 19-04-2018, 18:24   #100
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It’s how it works.

Look iNavex is a portal to a wide variety of charts, raster and vector, from a wide range of producers. Also this portal is used by a wide variety of users from guys on their lake to circumnavigators. Personally I’ve used it from Labrador down to Dominica in the Carribean using CHS, NOAA, Explorer, and NV chart sets. It is not perfect. For my usage it’s working pretty well allowing me access to high quality charts in all these regions, and many, many more are available. Perhaps compromises need to be made?

It may not be “perfect” and even if it was for you it may not be for me, different users have different needs and profiles. For my usage I know of no better IOS application. Fugawi and OpenCPN can do the same thing on a PC basis if you want to use a notebook instead.

It gives you and me Explorer charts for the Bahamas. It presents them in the same form as viewed on paper. For me that is a huge plus. I’ve no idea why you are having problems and I am not.
Old 19-04-2018, 18:28   #101

Quote:
I’ve no idea why you are having problems and I am not.

Is it because you are not a grumpy old guy like me? It’s OK, I was just venting a little. Fair winds!
Old 19-04-2018, 18:36   #102
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ha! The Admiral would quibbl with that!

I hope it sorts out for you. Few things are more frustrating than needing good WiFi to address a problem and not having it. I can understand the frustration. I could tell you about my Yamaha outboard problem, that made me considerably grumpy.

Following seas.
Old 19-04-2018, 19:06   #103

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116

Sorry folks but, any program that relies on WiFi or satellite or a provider connection is limiting.
If you cannot totally down load the program/ap and all the charts needed for the voyage then better it is better to use the chip in the chart plotter and current charts and a hand held GPS
Old 19-04-2018, 19:23   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddan1943 View Post
Sorry folks but, any program that relies on WiFi or satellite or a provider connection is limiting.
If you cannot totally down load the program/ap and all the charts needed for the voyage then better it is better to use the chip in the chart plotter and current charts and a hand held GPS
It doesn't! you only need a connection to download the app and or charts, it's designed to work offline....

This thread is about a glitch that caused the charts to disappear when your subscription expired, this has supposedly been fixed and mine (iPad) is functioning as it's supposed to with NO connection to any network/internet/whatever, the only outside connection is the satellite feed for the GPS, the same as any plotter/MFD/Handheld....

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 19:41   #105

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post
It doesn't! you only need a connection to download the app and or charts, it's designed to work offline....

This thread is about a glitch that caused the charts to disappear when your subscription expired, this has supposedly been fixed and mine (iPad) is functioning as it's supposed to with NO connection to any network/internet/whatever, the only outside connection is the satellite feed for the GPS, the same as any plotter/MFD/Handheld....
Good for the offline, bad for glitches that make the charts disappear.

Tags
charts, iNavX, navionics