Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2017, 02:37   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Miura 31
Re: iNavX charts disappeared (Navionics)

This "disappearing charts" syndrome happened last year and again in mid May this year and was "resolved", not by iNavX, but by Fugawi - iNavX just said it was not their problem, it was the chart suppliers problem.

On July 1 it happened again and after complaining to iNavX, they again replied that it was a Fugawi problem and I must complain to them, which I have done. However, they only offer support Monday to Friday, so I am still awaiting their reply to resolve the issue. I actually think they are doing it on purpose to try and get people to re-subscribe and thus spend money again on what they already should have. I must admit that I am really getting "pee'd off" with the way Fugawi is dealing with the issue, which they are fully aware of, but appear to have no wish to actually resolve.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 05:56   #17

Boat: Rafiki 37

It is a known issue for sure. They even have a help page with photoshop markups showing the standard way to resolve it. The Fugawi tech I dealt with implied it was at least partly inavx problem in how it integrates the charts, so who knows...

I know this event has shaken my confidence in inavx. I do like the app, and the navionics charts have been great, but I now fear this is all going to happen again, and in even worse circumstances.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:25   #18
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
It is a known issue for sure. They even have a help page with photoshop markups showing the standard way to resolve it. The Fugawi tech I dealt with implied it was at least partly inavx problem in how it integrates the charts, so who knows...

I know this event has shaken my confidence in inavx. I do like the app, and the navionics charts have been great, but I now fear this is all going to happen again, and in even worse circumstances.
Mike,

Relax. Now that your app is working, switch off the automatic update option under apps. Then it won't happen again.

Under settings, click itunes and app store.

Turn OFF all automatic downloads on the right side box
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 06:44   #19
Marine Service Provider

Kenomac, I am afraid I do not think that will help as my iPad was not connected to the internet over this past weekend and the charts disappeared. I have the feeling (I hope I am wrong) that the "expiry" date is either held within the app or within the downloaded charts. I know I was told last time by Fugawi that my update subscription would run out on June 30, and that was when it happened - midnight on June 30! And I had to turn my WiFi on to be able to send the email to iNavX and Fugawi to request help. My iPad does not have a SIM card in, so that means of connecting is ruled out. How or why is a head scratcher!
Old 03-07-2017, 07:44   #20
cruiser

That's not good news.....

My charts installed on all ipdas are two years old and haven't been updated, the iphone charts are 18 months old and also working fine... except for the gps which is screwed up ever since the phone was crushed and then repaired. It now lets me know where I am usually within two miles.

I hope this helps with figuring out what's going on.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:16   #21

Boat: Jeanneau 54DS

I'm having exactly the same issue. The charts have disappeared sometime in the last few days. (used them on the Ipad about 10 days ago without any problem)

I've contacted tech support, wait and see...
Phoenician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:24   #22

I've never had auto update on Ken, but I have manually updated the app. Up until this event it has been rock solid for me. I was also auto signing into my Store account in inavx. I've logged out of this now.

My bet is that there is some conjunction of newer inavx app and new fugawi charts that is causing the problem. Probably good you're running old versions. I'd say stick with your setup till these isseues are resolved.

Meanwhile, I may look at iSailor again once I'm back in wifi world. Reliability of systems is pretty important for me.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:28   #23

Boat: Rayvin 30

I had the same! I contacted support and was told it was a subscription issue that I also did not know about. Long and short was I had to repurchase but got a 50% discount. The don't update suggestion might be the answer!
SteveG58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 12:26   #24

Steve, the charts should not disappear regardless of whether your subscription has run out. You should not have to renew or buy new ones just to get your existing charts back.

Fugawi acknowledged all this to me, but to fix my problem they (without my asking and at no cost) extended my subscription so I could basically re-download all the charts again. They also offered me that 50% discount off the new Navionics chart collection. At this point I'm not inspired to spend more money with them.

BTW, I asked Fugawi for some sort of recompense for the angst and real financial cost this problem has caused me. Basically they told me to take a flying leap. A further nail in the inavx/fugawi coffin for me.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:48   #25
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG58 View Post
I had the same! I contacted support and was told it was a subscription issue that I also did not know about. Long and short was I had to repurchase but got a 50% discount. The don't update suggestion might be the answer!

Steve, so they caught you with that nonsense. When you purchased your original charts, they were for the life of the devise you loaded them onto. They also came with free updates for the year after purchase. If you wish to extend the update period, you then had to re-subscribe (normally at a discount) and the update facility was then for another year. But the original purchase was for the life of the devise they are loaded onto, even if the subscription expired. The subscription is for original download and the years updates, when and if there are any.

The problem has arisen with the bugs in iNavX and Fugawi (and once with an iOS update), where the charts are either removed from the devise or made invisible. They are stored in such a way that the backup of the devise does not back up charts. In the past, under the App supplier agreement with Apple, once you have purchased an App or made in-app purchases, they are for the life of the devise and the supplier has to re-supply the App and in-app purchases, at no charge, if they are lost due to a system bug etc.
Old 03-07-2017, 13:16   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Steve, so they caught you with that nonsense. When you purchased your original charts, they were for the life of the devise you loaded them onto. They also came with free updates for the year after purchase. If you wish to extend the update period, you then had to re-subscribe (normally at a discount) and the update facility was then for another year. But the original purchase was for the life of the devise they are loaded onto, even if the subscription expired. The subscription is for original download and the years updates, when and if there are any.

The problem has arisen with the bugs in iNavX and Fugawi (and once with an iOS update), where the charts are either removed from the devise or made invisible. They are stored in such a way that the backup of the devise does not back up charts. In the past, under the App supplier agreement with Apple, once you have purchased an App or made in-app purchases, they are for the life of the devise and the supplier has to re-supply the App and in-app purchases, at no charge, if they are lost due to a system bug etc.

Ah JohnT! That might be the issue! I did buy a new iPad and assumed the backup would simply restore! Maybe it was the new device! It was a year ago so can't remember the exact sequence of events!
Old 03-07-2017, 13:18   #27

Quote:
Steve, the charts should not disappear regardless of whether your subscription has run out. You should not have to renew or buy new ones just to get your existing charts back.

Fugawi acknowledged all this to me, but to fix my problem they (without my asking and at no cost) extended my subscription so I could basically re-download all the charts again. They also offered me that 50% discount off the new Navionics chart collection. At this point I'm not inspired to spend more money with them.

BTW, I asked Fugawi for some sort of recompense for the angst and real financial cost this problem has caused me. Basically they told me to take a flying leap. A further nail in the inavx/fugawi coffin for me.

Mike, JohnT pointed out that it is only on the original device and I did change so perhaps that is the reason!
Old 03-07-2017, 14:23   #28

Boat: Oyster 66

Mine have gone too on the IPhone. Just disappeared. The IPad charts are still there. I'll be sending support an email. Both have updates turned off. What a waste of time.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 14:59   #29

Is everyone having trouble with Navionics charts, or are other chart sets also disappearing. My problem happened almost simultaneously with when Fugawi announced their new Navionics chart sets (the one I've been offered 50% off). They retired my old chart set at the same time. Seems more than coincidence.
Old 03-07-2017, 15:14   #30

Boat: Oyster 66

Quote:
Is everyone having trouble with Navionics charts, or are other chart sets also disappearing. My problem happened almost simultaneously with when Fugawi announced their new Navionics chart sets (the one I've been offered 50% off). They retired my old chart set at the same time. Seems more than coincidence.
Navionics are gone. (3GX)
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charts, iNavX, navionics