Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2013, 20:41   #16

Re: INavX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
iPad isn't a replacement for a chartplotter ...
Funny, this is what I said too ...

I think the OP is already commited to the iPad, but trying to overcome the learning curve, or software useability issues, whatever it might be.
Richard_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 04:16   #17

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius

A few questions:

NAVIONICS Mobile App Is a seperate app from iNavX, yes / no

When I go to Navionics and look at products, it looks like I need a chip to download to. I don't see info about Navionics Mobile App

How can I get to the site to down load the APP? I saw a YouTube video and it looked pretty good.

Someone said they only became an Apple user in 2010, I only became one on March 11, 2013...sorry if the questions are very simplistic.
landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 04:25   #18

Navionics Mobile App is separate from iNavX app which can use Navionics charts purchased separately.

Navionics Mobile App is a chart and app combo (two in one app). You buy Navionics Mobile App for a particular region in Apple App Store on your iPad or via iTunes on your computer.

Hope this helps ...
Old 13-03-2013, 04:55   #19

just found the navionics mobile app in the apple app store on the iPad. Now, does it come with charts? I have charts for the iNavx, Navionics GOLD. Do I need to buy another set to run on this app? Thansk, Aloisius
Old 13-03-2013, 05:10   #20

The Navionics Mobile App is a chart (you need to get the one for your region), and the app functionality comes with that chart ... it is a combo, chart and app in one.

Unfortunately you will end up with the duplication of charts, each working with different software.
Old 13-03-2013, 06:12   #21

Thank you, I don't mind having multiple chart sources. I find differences in many and it gives me another reference. I believe the Navionics Mobile App for the Caribbean is around $54US. The other system was $50US for the App and $50 for the charts.
Old 13-03-2013, 06:22   #22

Yes, this is what I saw in App Store ...
$54.99 for Navionics Caribbean and S. America app,
plus $4.99 for in-app purchase of Nav module.

Between the two, Navionics and iNavX apps, you are covered ... have fun!
Old 13-03-2013, 06:29   #23
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Here's a silly but useful tip: press the on/off and the home buttons simultaneously and you will hear the camera sound taking a picture. You now have a perfect screen shot on the photo-roll on the iPad

cheers,
Nick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_W View Post
I thought the picture is worth 1000 words ... Navionics Nav module ...

On the left you have nav panel with the current leg/waypoint highlighted. On the right top you have course info to the current waypoint, bottom to the destination. I am not at that location and GPS was off ... so both are blank.

You can edit the waypoint/route in real time by switching to edit mode (two clicks). You do your edits on the same screen by sticking your finger (to add waypoint) or sliding it (to move waypoint) or tapping plus confirm (to delete waypoint). Click once when done to go back to nav mode ... easy!
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 06:36   #24

Good tip ... thanks!
Old 13-03-2013, 07:39   #25

Boat: ex-Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
Back to the OPs original question:

1) While in chart mode zoom/pan to the point in the chart you want to add the waypoint, centering the desired point on the screen.
2) Tap the waypoint tab and tap "new waypoint" it will be assigned the next unused WP number sequentially. Don't press anything else on the dialog box that appears - just tap 'outside' of it.
3) Tap the routes tab and, while on your selected route, tap "+". A green plus sign will appear next to all of the waypoints. Tap the plus sign on the waypoint prior to the one you want to 'insert'. A dialog box will appear with all of the WP numbers in.. scroll down to the appropriate new WP number and tap it to select it.
Done!
This works and is certainly better than the fully awkward mode of working from the routes menu. However, even easier:
  1. Start or activate the route you're interested in in the route menu.
  2. Go to the chart and use the approach above to set a new waypoint.
  3. Touch the waypoint label and a dialog box will appear. One of the options is to add the waypoint to the current route. Touch that option and it is done. (Another option in the dialog is to edit the waypoint. I use this to give the waypoint a name, but it's not necessary.)
I build routes entirely in the chart view after simply initiating the route by giving it a name in the route view. If you decide you want to tweak the location of the waypoint, just touch it and drag it where you want. I will sometimes build the route at a lower zoom for perspective and then zoom in to adjust waypoint positions to exactly where I want them. If you decide to add a waypoint in the middle of the route, you can add it on the chart, but you do need to return to the route view to move it to the correct order for the route.
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 09:09   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tartansail View Post
This works and is certainly better than the fully awkward mode of working from the routes menu. However, even easier:
  3. Touch the waypoint label and a dialog box will appear. One of the options is to add the waypoint to the current route. Touch that option and it is done. (Another option in the dialog is to edit the waypoint. I use this to give the waypoint a name, but it's not necessary.)
I build routes entirely in the chart view after simply initiating the route by giving it a name in the route view. If you decide you want to tweak the location of the waypoint, just touch it and drag it where you want. I will sometimes build the route at a lower zoom for perspective and then zoom in to adjust waypoint positions to exactly where I want them. If you decide to add a waypoint in the middle of the route, you can add it on the chart, but you do need to return to the route view to move it to the correct order for the route.

That's the right way to do it. Always put the waypoints in while zoomed out, then zoom into each and every way point and adjust or verify it's position. Remember that at zoom levels more chart details can appear, so also keep an eye on the path between waypoints at a zoom-level where all details are visible.
Old 13-03-2013, 09:35   #27

Boat: ex-Tartan 40

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post

That's the right way to do it. Always put the waypoints in while zoomed out, then zoom into each and every way point and adjust or verify it's position. Remember that at zoom levels more chart details can appear, so also keep an eye on the path between waypoints at a zoom-level where all details are visible.
Good reminder. Yes, always check the entire route zoomed in enough so all the details are showing. If you move a waypoint, recheck the route to the adjacent waypoints to be sure you're not heading over trouble.

I use iNavX as my primary route planning and tracking tool though I'll put the next waypoint up on my MFD so that I can either drive to it from behind the wheel or to give the AP a route to follow. However, one of the risks of these tools relative to paper is that, in order to zoom in close enough to get all the details showing, you can lose the broader view. The only way to ensure that your route is safe is to follow Jedi's guidance and track the entire route zoomed in. (And yes, keep a proper lookout and don't rely on the screen to do your thinking for you. (That was to save others the need to throw their sextants into the fray. )).
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 13:42   #28

Quote:
Good reminder. Yes, always check the entire route zoomed in enough so all the details are showing.
Do you mean the tiny small detail like this? It's good idea to sail the entire route first with a finger at this level of detail. Takes time but pays out later ...

BTW, the on/off+home iPad trick worked ...
Old 13-03-2013, 13:49   #29

Are you able to build a route in either iNavX or Navionics Mobile App and export and import one to the other? Since I will now buy the Navionics Mobile App, I am hoping to only build one set of routes and transfer one to the other.

One more thing, can you transfer these routes to OpenCPN?
Can you transfer OpenCPN routes to iNavX or Navionics Mobile App?
Old 13-03-2013, 13:53   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_W View Post
BTW, the on/off+home iPad trick worked ...
I'm now thinking you can probably also ask Siri to take a screen shot if you have an iPad3

I have whole conversations with her on my iPhone

Tags
iNavX