Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 18:35   #46

Re: INavX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Don View Post
I'm going back and forth between Navionics and Garmin Bluechart Mobile (BCM) ...

Depending on what you are using the iPad for, a single app may not meet your needs. I go back and forth between the above three. Each have their pros/cons.

One question, though - many of these apps cover chart regions. Is the level of detail comparable to other chart formats, e.g., Garmin BlueCharts used on PC and chartplotter, Navionics Gold, etc.? To me, the local iPad quality and level of detail is excellent with both Navionics and Garmin. Just curious!
Same here ... I go back and forth between Navionics and Garmin Bluechart Mobile for navigation, and use other apps for research and info. I still use my Garmin chartplotter at helm. I use iPad as a backup, and a tool my first mate and look out uses to validate course and surroundings.

Regarding chart details/format ... I can only comment on Garmin charts.

I use BlueChart g2 Vision charts with Garmin chartplotter. I can use the same SD card on my PC with Garmin's PC ware. There is a difference how charts are rendered on PC vs chartplotter, mostly in the color schema. The detail seems to be the same, although some notices are easier to notice and access on the chartplotter. Now, the charts rendered by Garmin BlueCharts Mobile look the same as those rendered by the PC ware.

There is a difference in functionality and use of additional data that is provided with Garmin charts. From the most functional to the least functional: chartplotter, mobile app, and PC ware.

Hope this helps ...

BTW, when checking BlueChart Mobile on my iPad, I just received a notice that the new version of my charts is available ... it is not free nor cheap compared to the initial cost.
Richard_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 20:28   #47

Richard,
I see that there's a North America Update for 2013 (not free). I didn't expect Garmin to charge for an update after just a few months since the first release of BlueChart Mobile.

Also, I think the update cost was removed from your post
Don
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 21:04   #48

I am not happy about the costly update either ...
The upgrade cost a bit above 50% of the original cost.
I think I will mention this in my review in App Store.

I have removed the $ from my post as I am not sure what's the forum policy on $.
Old 04-04-2013, 00:24   #49
cruiser

To me, it's becoming quite clear: a large part of the value of electronic charts are A) whether they are updated accurately and in an (at least reasonably) timely manner to the LNMs, and B) how easy it is to make that happen.
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:30   #50

Makes perfect sense ... and the Garmin on iPad seems to fulfill both points. It is just darn expensive compared to the original cost ... well, it's a B.O.A.T.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:44   #51

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius

Does the Garmin Bluechart Mobile offer "Course Up Orientation" in the iPad app? I use the blue charts on my hand held and I find the charts are very good and it does have that orientation.

Also, I watched the movie on the Garmin Bluechart Mobile, does the iPad app offer all of the items it talks about in the video. Weather, currents, temperature. Some of these might costs for the download privilege though I imagine.

thanks
landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:03   #52

I'm confused with the maps. I have gone to the Apple store and found Garmin Bluechart Mobile app (free??). It seems like this can be downloaded to the iPad. Then I go to find charts and am moved into the Garmin website and find HUS030R - Southeast Caribbean charts (around $160.00). But it looks like they are not downloaded to a iPad.

Where do you get the maps for the Garmin Bluechart Mobile app? thanks
Old 04-04-2013, 13:42   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by landonshaw View Post
Does the Garmin Bluechart Mobile offer "Course Up Orientation" in the iPad app? I use the blue charts on my hand held and I find the charts are very good and it does have that orientation.

Also, I watched the movie on the Garmin Bluechart Mobile, does the iPad app offer all of the items it talks about in the video. Weather, currents, temperature. Some of these might costs for the download privilege though I imagine.

thanks
Look at the last picture posted (not by me) a page or two back ... you will see Head Up button in top left side of screen.

I have not watched the video so I cannot comment, but ... the standard app has basic weather and tides. The cheap add on (limited time offer) adds advanced radar, etc ... I am not sure if that would work in your area.
Old 04-04-2013, 13:50   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by landonshaw View Post
I'm confused with the maps. I have gone to the Apple store and found Garmin Bluechart Mobile app (free??). It seems like this can be downloaded to the iPad. Then I go to find charts and am moved into the Garmin website and find HUS030R - Southeast Caribbean charts (around $160.00). But it looks like they are not downloaded to a iPad.

Where do you get the maps for the Garmin Bluechart Mobile app? thanks
Doing it from memory as I already have the app on my iPad ...

Search/select Garmin BlueChart Mobile app and download it ... it's free. Then from within the app in Settings, in Garmin Store, you will be able to purchase any of the available charts, and add-ons like premium weather.

Hope this helps ...
Old 04-04-2013, 14:02   #55

Yes the comments help. I went back and say the Heads Up. Also understand that once you download the app, you then are able to get to the charts.

After downloading the app, are there any charts loaded that you can paly and see how the system works, or do you have to purchase charts to find that out?

Thanks
Old 04-04-2013, 14:12   #56

Sorry, do not remember ... but based on my experience with other Garmin things, they always include some sort of useless base map, world map possibly. It would make sense, especially if they want to entice you with a free app to buy some real charts for it. It must say something about it in the app description in APP Store ...
Old 04-04-2013, 15:07   #57
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_W View Post
Makes perfect sense ... and the Garmin on iPad seems to fulfill both points. It is just darn expensive compared to the original cost ... well, it's a B.O.A.T.
Well, okay.

I haven't used the Garmin charts. I've used (and own) iNavX and Navimatics.

The LNMs come out every Wednesday. Every week. In my experience, as limited as it is, I haven't seen an electronic chart that updates every week.

Therefore, I haven't seen an electronic chart that is truly up-to-date except the ones I've updated by hand.

Does Garmin really publish 52 updates to their electronic charts every year?

If so, I'd say they're well worth whatever pittance they're charging. If not, they're just another electronic chart that's good for the first seven days. Max.
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 16:58   #58

I can understand the charts being updated around countries that have the resources to do it. Down here, the southern Caribbean, all of the charts state that many of the areas have not been recharted for a 100 years. I have 4 different manufacturers and relatively recent, some within 2 months. Storms have moved things under the water and on the surface over the years and make it a very interesting place to sail.
Old 04-04-2013, 18:32   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
Does Garmin really publish 52 updates to their electronic charts every year?
Oh, no ... I did not mean that Garmin keeps the charts in sync with LNMs on a weekly basis. Probably no other chart maker, including NOAA, can.

Looks to me that Garmin's iPad version will have the charts updated more often than other Garmin devices and other chartplotters due to iPad connectivity (always on and online).

Tags
iNavX