Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2010, 13:40   #1

Boat: 1985 Seidelmann 37 - s/v Bright Eyes
In-Hull Puck Transducer

What are your thoughts on these? It seems the best way to go cuz you don't have to drill any holes.

Someone told me I need to make sure it will work with my boat. They said some older boats are made with too thick fiberglass for the transducer to read through. I have a 1985 Seidelmann 37. How can I find out if it will work on my boat other than buying it, testing it out, and then returning it if it doesnt work?

Thanks
Old 23-02-2010, 14:01   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
Since the transducer is likey an Airmar you can go to their site and figure out which one you are looking to buy. They have some tools to help with that (Pick you sounder manufacturer and follow the steps). Once you locate it you can download the user manual. In there they will tell you how thick a hull you can shoot through. I seem to remember the one I used on the other boat was good up to 2 inches thick, but I may not be remembering that correctly.

You also have to be sure your hull is not cored. You can use the transducer on a cored hull, but it is more work. You have to remove the inner skin and core material, do some sealing with epoxy and get it all back right, then you can install the transducer.

Also remember the hull isn't going to be as thick outwards as it will down close to the keel, but you have to be sure you don't get so far outboard that the transducers is above the heeled waterline.

If you can lay your hands on one to borrow you can put it in a bag of water and light it up, move it around and pick a good spot.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 04:49   #3

Boat: Freedom 32 (Hoyt)
Also, don't forget you may have to correct the inner hull to correct for the deadrise so you shoot as straight down as possible, his will likely thicken the hull slightly.....
r.furborough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 07:05   #4

Location: Morlaix Brittany France blog: theguerns.blogspot.com
Boat: Colvic Watson/32ft/Feels Good
Send a message via Skype™ to feelsgood
We had the same problem very thick hull. Our boat was built to go in the ice and is 5" thick solid grp with 5 layers of kevlar we have an Eagle fish finder with the tranducer epoxied inside the hull and get a good reading.
feelsgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 07:09   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Another consideration is the quality of the lay-up...I'm pretty sure if you have any air pockets in the line of site..it will negatively affect your results.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 07:26   #6

Boat: 1995 Beneteau Oceanis 281
I am also installing mine next month.
I read somewhere to use petroleum jelly to adhere it to the hull to test it first (making sure of no voids- air holes in the layup where the desired lcoation is.) Then epoxy it in place if it passes. I also read that these work because frp is the same density as water, so it really doesn't know the difference. If this is true, then maybe the thickness is not an issue. Unless that means more room for air in the layup.

Good luck.
Waterborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 22:25   #7

Boat: S&S Hughes 40
I have installed a through hull transducer that came with Garmin 498. It works well through 1 inch solid glass.
EBCAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 02:21   #8
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
I tried a couple that wouldn't work, then got a thru hull. It turned out the new triducer fit in the same hole as an old knotmeter, no extra holes necessary. Have you checked for any defunct instruments that may offer such a solution? I like the airmar triducer, its standalone and gives off nmea signal. I can put depth readings on chartplotter, navpilot and or radar display. I was real close to installing in water, then opted for leaning against a dock during a falling tide.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
garmin, puck, transducer