Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2013, 15:02   #1

Boat: Trans Pacific Eagle 40
Image Stabilized Binoculars

Does anyone have a recommendation on the best rating for image stabilized binoculars for boat use?

I'm looking at purchasing a pair of image stabilized binoculars and need advice. I know (or have at least been told) that for a normal pair of binoculars on board a boat, the ideal rating is 7x50 (magnification of 7x and a 50 mm lens). I also know that with a stabilized image, you can get away with higher magnification. But what is a good rating? Does anyone have any experience that they can share?
Capt Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 15:10   #2

Boat: Prout Snowgoose Elite
Re: Image Stabilized Binoculars

The 7 by 50 is all about light gathering and your night vision. this size gives an optimum pupil size of around 7mm for night vision. as i under syand stabilisation it reduces shake not heavin up and down 10 foot. so i would suggest a good quality non stabilised binos
(personal pride is a pair of Steiners with better night vision than naked eye)
limejucer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 15:21   #3

We have a pair of 15x50 image stabalized binos by Canon. They are great and have been a real asset. They are a little heavy though.
stacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 15:35   #4

Boat: Garcia Passoa 48

I have a pair of canon 15x50 stabilized and as above they do not compensate for pitching in heavy seas. What they do well is compensate for the exaggerated vibration/shake/fine movements which deter your ability to see at higher magmification. I have compared them side by side with a good pair of 7x50 and I can definitely read numbers,etc on nav aids with the stabilized that I can not with the nonstabilized. That said though this is a marginal benefit and its value will vary from person to person. I woud probably spend my money on a top notch nonstabilzed version. Simple, light, reliable, no batteries to change, simplicity.
andrewsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 16:51   #5
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Fujinon Polaris , in my view , the best marine bins by far

David
Old 22-03-2013, 13:49   #6

Boat: Trans Pacific Eagle 40

Thank you everyone. I ended up at the Defender Warehouse Sale yesterday and picked up a pair of Nikon 14x40 stabilized for a little more than the price of a good pair of 7x50 non stabilized. Power is 4 AA batteries, so I will always have spares available. Fully waterproof. I'll update everyone once I have used them for awhile on the water.
Capt Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 14:03   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

It looks like you have made an excellent choice. Pls let us know how they work out.
Quote:
The Nikon StabilEyes VR 14x40 Binoculars 8211 is the world's first dual mode professional grade marine/land binoculars that are stabilized for both shake and roll, on land and on board!image Nikon 14x40 StabilEyes Binoculars provide the power, razor sharp resolution, and rock steady hold necessary for long range viewing on land or at sea. Phase correction coated prisms and fully multicoated lenses of Nikon 14x40mm Stabil Eyes Binocular provides unparalleled optical capability, while durable, waterproof/fogproof construction make these binos the ultimate optic for virtually any viewing situation, no matter how demanding. Nikon exclusive Pan and Tilt feature StabilEyes gives you steadiness you can depend on. If you have questions about these Nikon StabilEyes 14 x 40 VR Binos, please do not hesitate to contact us
Specifications for Nikon StabilEye VR 14 x 40 binoculars 8211 ( 7457 ):
Focusing System: CF
Magnification x: 14
Objective Diameter (mm): 40
Angular Field of View (Real/Apparent): 4/56
FOV at 1000 yds. (ft.): 209
Close Focus Distance (ft.): 16.4
Exit Pupil (mm): 2.9
Relative Brightness: 8.4
Eye Relief (mm): 13
Size - L&W (inches): 7.3x5.8
Size - L&W (mm): 186x148
Weight (oz.): 45.8
Weight (grams): 1300
Features of Nikon StabilEyes VR 14 x 40mm Stabilized Binoculars

Exclusive dual mode - ONBOARD/LAND
Eliminates movement from waves and vibration from hand shake, etc.
Exclusive Pan and Tilt Feature
Waterproof binoculars /Fogproof
1-Year Warranty
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 14:08   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Have the Fujinon 14x40 stabilized binoculars. They are great at taking the shakes out of trying to stay on target with these higher power binoculars. With stabilization on, it makes for an image that is clear, zero'd in, and stable so you can pick up details like reading numbers on buoys that I can't with it off. Only issue is mine goes through batteries in storage if I don't disconnect the battery tray when it's put away. Fujinon is rebranded by Nikon and they charge money for the label.

7x50 are called night glasses because of their ability to enhance viewing in low light conditions. They are about as strong a magnification as is useful on a boat at sea without stabilization.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote