Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2011, 05:31   #1

IENC's Do Not Like to Open

We use Capn Voyager here at work. Downloaded IENC's from USACE are in the .000 format which the Capn does not open. I am even having trouble opening them in Fugawi and Open CPN. Am I missing something.

Also, could you convert the .000 file to something that the Capn can read. It seems to use .svi but I am not exactly sure. It also has .sve , .sfi and .sfd.

Could you do a quick explain of each file type or help with conversion.
paracapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2011, 06:30   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Re: IENC's do not like to open

Welcome to the forum paracapt.
Sorry I cant help you...I only understood about half of what you wrote!
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2011, 13:05   #3
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Re: IENC's Do Not Like to Open

Quote:
Originally Posted by paracapt View Post
We use Capn Voyager here at work. Downloaded IENC's from USACE are in the .000 format which the Capn does not open. I am even having trouble opening them in Fugawi and Open CPN. Am I missing something.

Also, could you convert the .000 file to something that the Capn can read. It seems to use .svi but I am not exactly sure. It also has .sve , .sfi and .sfd.

Could you do a quick explain of each file type or help with conversion.
Sorry, I can't help with Voyager.

With OpenCPN, it can use those files with no conversion.

Just unzip them into a directory of your choice.
In OpenCPN, in the toolbox, browse and add the directory to the chart list. Do NOT choose the files, choose the directory. It will crawl the directory and any sub-directories and add all the charts to the database.

Note:
No programs uses the 000 files directly. The .000 (or .001, .00n, etc...) are the files with instructions, so to speak. OpenCPN converts these files into an internal format it can use. As far as I know, all nav software does this as well. (Not QUITE true, as some high-end commercial has been specially licensed to distribute the final converted binaries.)

Also FYI: The .000 is the first edition. .001 is next, etc. At least I THINK I'm right on that...

-dan

EDIT: I should have added that OpenCPN converts each file to its internal binary format at the first time of access. You will see a window come up while it converts it. It is stored on disk as an .S57 filetype. I seriously doubt this .S57 file could be used by any other software, but I could be wrong...
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote