Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 18-01-2012, 14:45   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Re: ICW Cruising Guides

Hmmmm, Jeffrey. Are you having problems with the Cruisersforum site? I keep getting posts you make via email notification but when I come to the thread, the post is missing. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2012, 15:08   #17

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

Welcome aboard! We use Kettelwell's charts and the Moeller guide. We also use Claiborne Young's guides and Skipper Bob.

Old 18-01-2012, 15:11   #18

Its interesting that most of the replies are from the guides (and websites) that I think are wonderful; i.e. Waterway Guides, Also the maptech chartkits so you can plot your position whilst you meander down the ICW.
Fair Winds!
Old 18-01-2012, 15:45   #19
Marine Service Provider

When we first started cruising we bought the best printed guides we could find and of course a complete set of charts. We have always used the Chartbooks, mostly Maptech and John Kettlewell's. Over the years after covering the same ground over and over, we seldom buy cruising guides. Our own experience and a good set of charts, both paper and electronic are all we need. If it comes right down to it, all is really needed are charts and the ability to use them. I think we have become overly dependent on others doing the work for us and providing us with all of the information in advance. That's not a bad thing unless we reach a point where we can't get anywhere on our own. Since I am now involved in waterway navigational information on a daily basis I have a little more insight into where problems are and what the issues are. But when we are cruising we still use as many resources as possible. Some information is repetitious but some resources may have one or two bits of info that is not found anywhere else. For us, it is never an either or, but a research project using many sources to make the cruise both safe and enjoyable. The enjoyable part is as important to us as the safe part. To the original poster, you have been given some great options. Take a look at all of them and decide which one YOU prefer. Don't forget to spend some time on line researching the great websites with information for your boating area, even for a short cruise. It will be more fun if you do and the stress levels will go way down. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 18-01-2012, 16:25   #20

I hope this is acceptable for me to comment as my commercial products are being discussed here. I now edit the Moeller's former work, which is called The Intracoastal Waterway: Norfolk to Miami, The Complete Cockpit Cruising Guide. It is a guidebook to the Waterway. I am also the creator of and author of The Intracoastal Waterway Chartbook: Norfolk, Virginia, to Miami, Florida. It is a chartbook of the Waterway. Any comments I would make as to what are the best guides for the ICW are highly biased by my financial involvement. Buyers beware!
Old 18-01-2012, 16:34   #21
Marine Service Provider

Hey John, Am I correct that you have combine the Moeller Guide with your Chartbook? Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 18-01-2012, 16:38   #22

Chuck, the answer is no, they are two separate publications as I outlined in the post above. Two books: one cruising guide, and one chartbook.
Old 18-01-2012, 16:39   #23

Boat: Valiant 42
Send a message via AIM to svpattyd Send a message via Yahoo to svpattyd Send a message via Skype™ to svpattyd
We use the Moeller chart flip book in the cockpit. I go thru as many sources as I can find and mark shoals and hazards not shown. I make notes on anchorages. I mark possible marinas. For me, one source could not give me the information I need.
svpattyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2012, 16:40   #24

The flip chart book is my book, by John and Leslie Kettlewell. It is called The Intracoastal Waterway Chartbook.
Old 18-01-2012, 17:29   #25

Send a message via AIM to svpattyd Send a message via Yahoo to svpattyd Send a message via Skype™ to svpattyd
Thanks for the flip book. Sorry I got the author wrong. I made a Mylar cover for it to keep the pages from blowing and to keep the book dry.
Old 18-01-2012, 17:51   #26

Sounds like a nice set up. I keep mine in a large zip-lock type of bag, but I now have a pilot house so my charts are kept in out of the rain, sun, and wind.
Old 18-01-2012, 19:15   #27
cruiser

I sort of like the iPad. It has all the charts and shows me exactly where I am. It's sort of the ultimate flip-book!
Old 18-01-2012, 20:08   #28

I'd be glad to use an iPad. You could send me one and I'll write descriptions of our travels. Otherwise, it is not in the budget.
Old 19-01-2012, 06:25   #29

Should I get the cockpit cruising guide or the more expensive chartbook copy? Or, is the same info all contained in the chartbook? Never can have too much information.
Old 19-01-2012, 09:28   #30
Marine Service Provider

Seaduction, We have used the Chartbook and you can find just about all you will need with it. The charts have notations for most all of the information you will need. This sounds like you are moving the boat and not on a leisure cruise. Go into an online site like cruisersnet or the one I am working with, which I can't mention, and get the latest navigational notices and updates. Make notes on your chartbook and you are good to go. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek

Tags
cruising, cruising guides, icw

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: