Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 25-08-2014, 18:16   #1

ICW Conjock to Pungo Ferry

Question: When you are going north towards Norfolk, where do you usually stop for the last night? Is there any place between Coinjock and Pungo Ferry that you know of? I will be stopping in Manteo the night before and would like to get as close to all the bridges for the last day so as to make it easier.

On the chart I see a loop in the river just south on Pungo Ferry with good depths, but the Waterway Guide advises against all such river loops. Do you know if it is usable as an anchorage?

Thank you for your help,

Juan Marquard
Alebrije

Old 25-08-2014, 18:39   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: ICW Conjock to Pungo Ferry

juan...

Forget about those oxbow loops on the Pungo River. All shoaled in, and full of wrecked barges and such.

In calm weather, we anchor on Currituck Sound, west of the ICW at about Mile Marker 40, in 6-7 ft.

Good Luck
Dave

Old 25-08-2014, 19:03   #3

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Antigua 37 - Ti' Punch

It's a long day for sure, but you can do Coinjock to Norfolk in one go. We did it in November, it should be easier this time of year with the longer days.
Old 25-08-2014, 19:56   #4

A second vote for staying at Coinjock. Very easy to get an early start as I typically have people tied so close on my bow and stern that I have to get up to help the earliest person get out. Once I'm up I might as well go too -- even if I'm still metabolizing the roast beef from the night before

I agree about the dangers of the oxbows but we once anchored with two other boats just to the north of Pungo Ferry for two nights while waiting for the water to go down enough after a storm to get under the fixed bridge. It's easy to anchor well out of the way without actually going into the oxbow. Plenty of depth. I suspect you can do the same on the south side but haven't tried.

If you want to push really hard, you could also try for the free dock at Great Bridge. Good shopping and some restaurants. Atlantic Marine is also right there if you want power.

But do you really want to work so hard to skip Coinjock? The Norfolk bridge schedule is less of a problem going north.
Old 25-08-2014, 20:59   #5

Boat: Sabre 34

I have used the free dock space by the entrance to the great bridge lock. The stores are within walking distance and you cant beat free!

Be sure to have lots of fenders in case you have to tie off to the trees!
Old 25-08-2014, 22:46   #6

Boat: Westerly Centaur. 26'
Send a message via Skype™ to familycruisers

I would stage @ Great Bridge.
Old 26-08-2014, 04:54   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Juan.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 05:45   #8
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

Welcome aboard, Juan! I also highly recommend Coinjock Marina. I also recommend the brand new free dock at Great Bridge, but it's nearly 40 miles further. You can't go hungry at either spot, that's for sure! I haven't personally anchored at any of the spots on the North Landing River near Pungo Ferry, but there was a lot of junk in them the last time I passed through, and cruisers have had problems with the depths. (I usually take the Dismal Swamp Route...slower but beautiful, and lots of free docks). Happy cruising!
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 06:58   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore" Ben393 "Breathless"

I have anchored just south of the Pungo Ferry bridge, in the little basin just to the west. Just enough room for one or two boats, 5 1/2 ft draft. Haven't been there for a while (ten years) and I have seen boats anchored in Blackwater Creek a little further south.

If you are going to anchor around Coinjock there's a good spot just south of Coinjock at Marker 134. Just go to the west off the channel and drop the hook.
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 07:57   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Juan, You can anchor just south of the Pungo Ferry bridge at SM 29. You will find depths of 5 to 6 feet out of the channel. There is an anchorage spot north of the bridge at the south entrance to the oxbow. Go just into the entrance and anchor. Don't go into the oxbow. The next stop would be Great Bridge, SM 12, at the dock across from Atlantic Yacht Basin, or the preferred tie up between the lock and the bridge. You didn't sat whether you needed info south of Pungo, but there are places to stop. Blackwater Creek is an excellent anchorage with plenty of depth going in and 5 to 6 feet inside. You don't include your draft so it's hard to answer. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 12:08   #11

Forgot to mention that my draft is 6'.

Thank you all for your help.

Juan
Alebrije

Tags
Ferry, icw

Display Modes Rate This Thread