Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2015, 10:51   #16

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: ICW chesapeake south

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsky49 View Post

Check the latest info for the hailing channel as at least one state has changed the channel. Some bridges also monitor 16 but they are the exception. Having your VHF radio in the cockpit is extremely helpful, particularly if you need to coordinate with other vessels.

Different but slightly related topic, and you probably know this anyway: monitor your VHF for passing traffic.

We always prefer to offer a slow pass, but we often find the sailor ahead of us either doesn't have a radio on, or can't hear a radio that's on but down below at a nav station.

We've used the hailer successfully a couple times, but that's relatively inelegant...

-Chris
Old 11-02-2015, 20:15   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Fascinating.

Really.

I live on the West Coast and am amazed at this type of question.

Any (and all) cruising guides for the stretch of water you're contemplating explain everything.

Read up, kiddo.

Cmon Stu, you are on all the forums. You have helpful information but you jump on anyone who asks a question and tell them how to "look it up". For many of us, this is part of "looking it up". I see many of your old posts with questions and misunderstandings. So let the rest of us use this medium as part of our learning process. Google doesn't always work with a thousand threads on a 10,000 topics. Thanks for listening.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Jethro411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 06:21   #18

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Different but slightly related topic, and you probably know this anyway: monitor your VHF for passing traffic.

We always prefer to offer a slow pass, but we often find the sailor ahead of us either doesn't have a radio on, or can't hear a radio that's on but down below at a nav station.
This has been my experience as well.

And, if you hang your dinghy or other equipment over your transom and boat's name, how will anyone hail you? Paint the name on the bottom of the dinghy if you have to.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:43   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liunatic View Post
looking at traveling the ICW from Chesapeake all the way south, I Know timing the bridge openings so as no delay will never work, wondering if approaches to bridges all have a place to tie off while waiting. We have an Endeavour 40 with a draft of 5ft

rich and melanie
I did the exact same trip 3 years ago
except we went outside from Beaufort NC
After 4 days on the ICW we were ready for some more sea room.
My suggestion is to keep in touch with other boats.
There was one marker that was slightly out of place (don't know why)
A boat ahead of us grounded but passed the info up the chain
and we avoided it as did many other boats.
Also sometimes by weather there can be shifting shoals
so you really need to stay in the channel
That being said, It is a beautiful trip.
Once outside we stopped at Brunswick GA and then Cape Canaveral
both easy runs.
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 09:24   #20

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro411 View Post
Cmon Stu, you are on all the forums. You have helpful information but you jump on anyone who asks a question and tell them how to "look it up". For many of us, this is part of "looking it up". I see many of your old posts with questions and misunderstandings. So let the rest of us use this medium as part of our learning process. Google doesn't always work with a thousand threads on a 10,000 topics. Thanks for listening.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
I agree with your point, posters often get told to look it up. However, there isn't a member here that knows or could convey all the info contained in a cruising guide for the icw.

Stopping here with a question or two is fine but the op really should pick up a guide for this trip in unfamiliar waters.

Sent from my XT1080 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 12-02-2015, 09:48   #21

I agree. My post was directed at one individual who is on at least 4 forums that I know. I respectfully submitted that he reflect on 90% of his posts in those 4 forums. His experience and knowledge gets lost a bit in the overwhelming "look it up" replies. Enough of all that with him.

But I posted a similar question that reflects the difficulty in gathering information via the search box or google. I am a west coast sailor trying to get info on moving a 6.5 draft sailboat from charleston to south Florida. Searching ICW communications, draft, seasonal issues etc can bring thousands of returns to piecemeal together- not even considering their timeliness.

I'd suggest if someone takes the time to reply to someone to say look it up, either give an answer instead, offer a better search criteria or just don't teply.

It's a good world to be in where our problems lays in too many answers as opposed to not enough.
Jethro411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 10:05   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveslide View Post
............... Stopping here with a question or two is fine but the op really should pick up a guide for this trip in unfamiliar waters.
I've tried to get this point across many times. Some folks are too lazy to do the research themselves and they end up with little bits of information (some of it wrong) from a web forum.

It's going to cost a pretty good sum of money to take a boat 1,000 miles. A guide book is $40 and may save many times its initial cost.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:28   #23

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro411 View Post

I'd suggest if someone takes the time to reply to someone to say look it up, either give an answer instead, offer a better search criteria or just don't teply.
And I thoroughly agree with this as well.

The only one I can think of with somewhere to tie off is the draw bridge in Great Bridge, and that operator wants you ready to go when the opening is scheduled.

Old 12-02-2015, 11:44   #24

Not much tie off, circle around. Be careful... some bridges have more current than you might think! Timing can work pretty well. I think I opened 14 bridges in one day once in florida... something like that. Just started predicting the mileage form the ICW guide and adjusted the speed accordingly.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 02:36   #25

Boat: '83 Endeavour 40

To anyone thinking Im making our first trip south In The ICW or offshore without a guide or LOOKING THINGS UP as you say, your wrong. It was just a question, and those who most replied with good info, and I thank you. The couple who got bent out of shape, next time relax and keep scrolling past my question.
Richard
Old 13-02-2015, 06:17   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveslide View Post
And I thoroughly agree with this as well.

The only one I can think of with somewhere to tie off is the draw bridge in Great Bridge, and that operator wants you ready to go when the opening is scheduled.

If you had an ICW cruising guide you would know that you can tie up at the bridges/locks on the dismal swamp canal as well.
Old 13-02-2015, 07:09   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

For the radio in the cockpit, I just got a remote mic, before that I used a handheld, it always worked fine for bridges and monitoring 16 on the little of the ICW that I did.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 06:24   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
For the radio in the cockpit, I just got a remote mic, before that I used a handheld, it always worked fine for bridges and monitoring 16 on the little of the ICW that I did.
A handheld VHF is fine for bridges and passing situations, provided you keep the batteries charged or fresh. It's only when you need longer distance communication that you really need the 25 watt output and longer antenna.

Tags
icw