Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2015, 07:07   #1

Boat: Whitby 42
I Pad and plan2nav for Bahamas

My Raymarine C80 is still working but has had to be reset a couple of times and I am looking for a backup and access to electronic Explores Charts for the Bahamas. I want to purchase an I Pad and use Cmap. I have received conflicting information regarding whether or not I would need a wireless plan or would the I Pad be able to find the boat location internally. I would not like to be reliant on wireless coverage as part of my navigation strategy. Does anyone have experience using an I Pad for this purpose.
Steve
lions paw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2015, 07:22   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: I Pad and plan2nav for Bahamas

Hi Steve, as long as you have the cellular model of the iPad, it will have an internal GPS and work without any other wireless/cellular need. The cellular functionality does not have to be used - it is just that the only iPads models with GPS are also those with cell functionality (the GPS is built into the cell chip).

Does this mean we will be seeing you in the Bahamas this year? I got a new pole spear, so you better get there early!

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2015, 07:26   #3

Boat: Whitby 42

All the fish and lobster may be gone by the time I get there!!!!! Late Dec into Jan. I was going to ask you direct.
lions paw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2015, 07:36   #4

I'll leave you a couple of slow ones…

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 17-09-2015, 07:38   #5

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
I got a new pole spear, so you better get there early!

Mark
What spear is it? I have to get one. Will be there in April though, so by then you probably will have decimated the entire fish population. Except for in the sea park, of course.

Seriously though, looking for a recommendation and place to buy the spear.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2015, 08:12   #6

Boat: Sabre 42

We just returned from The Bahamas and used the iPad as a backup to the plotter. Cellular iPad models all have GPS even if cell service is not activated. We were very happy with the Garmin Bluechart iPad app. The app was free and if IIRC the map was $40. It uses the same data as Explorer Charts (we have the paper chart books) which I highly recommend.
Old 17-09-2015, 08:36   #7

Well, it looks like this will be a wandering thread - sorry Steve!.

There is a plethora of choices in pole spears - and also in hawaiian slings, if that is what you want. There is a plethora of prices also!

First, I would avoid the fiberglass rod polespears - they are bendy, slow and lack any punch. Short ones are very inexpensive and good for lionfish or lobster, though.

Second, you will need to decide if you want a multipart breakdown travel spear ($$$) or a single piece one ($).

Third, you will need to decide what you will be using it for. Lobsters, lionfish and smaller reef fish are usually best with a short spear ~4-5', while larger fish and more open water fishing is best with a longer spear ~8-10'.

A good middle of the road single piece spear is IMO the JBL 6' tubular aluminum like this: JBL 6 ft. Fixed Pole Spear without Tip (D-72) D72 . With a short flopper tip on it, it is short enough to be useable in reefs and lobsters, and with a 12" tip (and suitable band) on it, it is useable for larger fish too. Not the best for either, but not bad as a general all-purpose spear. And it is cheap.

Don't get the similar JBL break down spears - they tend to… break down…

An inexpensive breakdown spear choice would be the Ray Odor. New Page 0 It is solid aluminum, which is heavy and slow, but packs a good punch. It is only $85 shipped and complete with tip (you will be spending another $20-40 in shipping and tips on other spears). With this breakdown spear, you can either use it as a 4' or 6' spear (7' with the shipped tip).

I almost bought a Ray Odor, but decided I wanted a faster spear. If you are new to fishing with a pole spear, you should consider trading off speed for punch - and this one would be an excellent choice for that. If you have a lot of experience, then you may want to go toward speed more.

To address your actual question I bought a SeaStinger 1-piece Lightning Rod: Sea Stinger 1-Piece Lightning Rod Pole Spear . It is a carbon fiber shaft. Since I won't be traveling with it, I saved money by getting the 1-piece over the break down version.

There are lots of similarly good pole spears, but they tend to get much more expensive quickly. Other brands to consider are Gatku ( https://gatku.com ), Crist ( My Business - POLESPEARS* ). Headhunter and Riffe make very good spears, but they are also very expensive.

Kind of somewhere in the middle is a new one by JBL: http://www.amazon.com/JBL-Shaka-Carb.../dp/B00AOCR5FC , but it is still pretty expensive.

Best place to buy is the internet, of course.

You will need to do some searching around to determine what type of tip you want. There are slip tips, solid tips and paralyzer tips.

The slip tips are great for the Bahamas because you can easily and comfortably lift the fish out of the water as you swim back to the dinghy and the sharks don't have a target. They also help prevent spear damage if you are shooting into caves and crevices. However, they don't give you any leverage over a shot fish, so it can be difficult extracting them out of caves and crevices.

Paralyzer tips are good for lobster and small fish. If this is your main target, you should consider one.

Solid tips are, well, solid. Their advantages are the disadvantage of slip tips, and their disadvantage is the reverse.

Slip tip example: Sea Stinger 1
Paralyzer tip example: Amazon.com : Scuba Choice Spearfishing 12" Stainless Steel Pole Spear Tip 3 Prong Barb Head Paralyzer : Divers Knives And Shears : Sports & Outdoors
Solid tip examples: http://www.amazon.com/Scuba-Choice-S...0_SR160%2C160_ , http://www.amazon.com/Twin-Barb-Stai...6DKSM2PANYFKZV

Whatever tip you get, make sure the thread is correct in both size and gender for the spear you have.

Mark

Old 17-09-2015, 08:53   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

If you have a Wifi only Ipad, don't worry, a good Bluetooth GPS will get you better accuracy anyway, I use and recommend this one
Universal Bluetooth GPS Receiver for Today’s Most Popular Handheld Devices | Dual Electronics

Beware though, the vast majority of Bluetooth GPS receivers will not wok on an Apple product, be sure before you buy.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2015, 08:55   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
If you have a Wifi only Ipad, don't worry, a good Bluetooth GPS will get you better accuracy anyway, I use and recommend this one
Universal Bluetooth GPS Receiver for Today’s Most Popular Handheld Devices | Dual Electronics
But how good is it at catching fish?

Mark

Old 17-09-2015, 11:01   #10

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Thanks a bunch for that, Mark. And apologize for sidetracking thread there for a moment. But dang that is some good info!
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2015, 11:15   #11

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

I can't speak to C-maps, but I've used my I pad a couple times in the Bahamas with the Garmin BlueChart app and maps. (including one cruise from Managua all the way up through the Abacos) I think the maps for the entire U.S. and Bahamas was $30. The app is free. From what I understand the Garmin map relies on information obtained from the Explorer Charts and are much more accurate than other charts. The price includes download for both iPhone and iPad.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2015, 11:20   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
But how good is it at catching fish?

Mark
I don't know, but your pole spear post got me thinking. I have two Ocean Rhino spearguns, one set up for free shafting, but I can't use those in the Bahamas, right?
Can you in most countries, but not just the Bahamas, or should I just sell the things?
Old 17-09-2015, 11:21   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautical62 View Post
I can't speak to C-maps, but I've used my I pad a couple times in the Bahamas with the Garmin BlueChart app and maps. (including one cruise from Managua all the way up through the Abacos) I think the maps for the entire U.S. and Bahamas was $30. The app is free. From what I understand the Garmin map relies on information obtained from the Explorer Charts and are much more accurate than other charts. The price includes download for both iPhone and iPad.
Sadly the Garmin blue chart maps on my Ipad / phone are better than the ones on my high dollar plotter, so when I get into skinny water, out comes the Ipad.
Old 17-09-2015, 11:34   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Olson 30

Amazon has launched it's new $50 Fire tablet. Would this work with charting software along with the Bluetooth GPS discussed earlier? Has anyone used another version of Fire?
Quote:
Old 17-09-2015, 12:11   #15

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed
pole spears for Bahamas

Mark,
While your reply had nothing to do with navigation, it was an excellent overview for pole spears and I appreciate the comments. I will read in more later tonight.

Now back to navigation, how accurate is iPad w Navionics now they are incorporating the crowdsourcing input? The concept seems terrific. Will it match the level of detail and accuracy that the Explorer charts have (which are excellent)
Ed
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas