Join CruisersForum Today

Old 17-09-2015, 15:45   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: I Pad and plan2nav for Bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I don't know, but your pole spear post got me thinking. I have two Ocean Rhino spearguns, one set up for free shafting, but I can't use those in the Bahamas, right?
Can you in most countries, but not just the Bahamas, or should I just sell the things?
Anything with a trigger is considered a speargun and illegal in the Bahamas. You never want to be caught with a speargun in the Bahamas.

Spearguns are also illegal in several Eastern Caribe countries for foreigners, but OK for citizens - these rules tend to be overlooked in many countries, though. However, there are hardly any fish in the EC worth spearfishing for (way over-fished), and most of the areas where any good fishing might be found are busy with dive operations.

They are legal in the USVI outside of protected parks (but not BVI) and most South and Central American countries. Illegal in the Caymans, and I don't know about Mexico or Jamaica.

This info could be incomplete or out of date, though.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2015, 17:59   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Sounds like I may need to sell them then, too bad as I enjoy spearfishing, at least until the man in a grey suit shows up

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Old 17-09-2015, 18:34   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Sounds like I may need to sell them then, too bad as I enjoy spearfishing, at least until the man in a grey suit shows up

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Well you certainly have good product to sell. Those are nice guns.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2015, 19:02   #19

Boat: Boatless at this time (is this a word?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lions paw View Post
My Raymarine C80 is still working but has had to be reset a couple of times and I am looking for a backup and access to electronic Explores Charts for the Bahamas. I want to purchase an I Pad and use Cmap. I have received conflicting information regarding whether or not I would need a wireless plan or would the I Pad be able to find the boat location internally. I would not like to be reliant on wireless coverage as part of my navigation strategy. Does anyone have experience using an I Pad for this purpose.
Steve
Steve, I have never seen a post have people that comment so far off topic.

First, please look for my various previous posts regarding Ipad navigation. I have pictures and some significant detail.

Second, here is a link for an external gps for the Ipad that was originally developed for small airplane pilots with the speed and accuracy needed. http://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/bad...FzBRoCd-vw_wcB
However, I can tell you that a)you don't have the speed that requires this level of speed accuracy and b)the charts you use in the Bahamas are no where near as exact as the internal GPS in an Ipad 2 or newer.

Third, an external GPS is not suited to be exposed to rain, wave spray, or humidity. The internal GPS inside of the Ipad 2 or newer can be water sealed by you purchasing a waterproof case. You can see some of my suggestions in my previous posts.

Last, again as some have said prior, you can buy an Ipad with GPS or without one. To buy one with the GPS, just look for one that advertises it is capable of connecting to a cellular network like in the US, ATT or Sprint or Verizon. If it does not say this, it does not have a GPS. NO, You don't have to subscribe to a cellular service. I have significant experience using this. If you are in the middle of the Atlantic, you can use it. If you are in your bunk, you can check on the person at the helm to see where you are at.

And finally, I buy my IPad's in the US on Ebay used. There is no reason to buy a new one.

Swammy
Old 17-09-2015, 19:07   #20

Boat: 38' French Cat

I really like the Jeppesen Plan2 Nav program. The details are great, and if we had solely relied on our touch screen garmin that was new 10 months prior with updates completed, we would have hit a reef/ shoal in the Abacos. The Plan2nav program clearly showed it, it was not on the Garmin, we couldnt see it until we were actualy up on it. Note, the Garmin showed it was avg 9ft deep where the Reef was.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gar2ized.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	392.5 KB
ID:	109251   Click image for larger version

Name:	gar123_142656_resized.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	393.3 KB
ID:	109252  

Old 18-09-2015, 08:04   #21

Boat: Whitby 42

Thanks for all the great information. I have bought my I Pad and Iím ready to lock and load. Both for navigation and my pull spear.
Old 18-09-2015, 09:20   #22

Boat: benetttou 32s5

u can also get a regular I-pad and paired via bluetooth (wich saves a lot of battery)with a delorme or bad elf device
Old 18-09-2015, 09:42   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I started flying with my Ipad, but prefer a tablet, better software, reliability as long as your hard drive is solid state etc.
The built in Ipad GPS is not as reliable nor as accurate as a standalone GPS is, not so important maybe in a boat, but I like being as accurate as possible.
Personally I do not like the Bad Elf as it plugs directly into the Ipad and that is fragile, plus I don't think a waterproof case will work if you want one, it's advantage of course is it draws power from the IPad, so long as your Ipad's battery is good, it works, but it has to reduce the battery life obviously, how much I don't know.
The Bluetooth type of GPS can be ideally located for best GPS reception and you can still move around with the Ipad and reception won't be affected, but you need to either charge it every now and again, or I just leave mine plugged into 12V power so it's always charged.

Threads drift, and that isn't necessarily a bad thing as posts "bump" a thread back up to the top so to speak for people to see.
Old 18-09-2015, 09:45   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The Ipad Pro is supposed to be released in Nov?
I think I will want one as I can control my plotter / Radar etc with an Ipad as well and it seems it will have a much larger display.

Anybody know about the Pro? Is it worth it?
Old 18-09-2015, 10:52   #25

Boat: Cheoy Lee OS 41 ketch

Google , "BAD ELF " it's a small plug in Gps module for Ipad that is much more accurate than the Gps built into the ipad. Their site shows all the charting apps that it works with. We used it in the Gulf of Mexico and south west Florida and it was way faster and more accurate than the built in chart plotter on the boat.
it is also used in aviation, and is well through of by jet pilots for its speed and accuracy.
plus it's not expensive.
We loved it!
Old 18-09-2015, 12:33   #26

Hello everyone, this is my first post but I have been lurking for a while.
We just downloaded iNavX to my iPad but haven't settled down to figure it out. Anyone use it?
Biggest problem seems to be using the iPad in the bright daylight. As far as keeping the device waterproof, I use a Lifeproof case which promises to be watertight....not that I went swimming with it!
Thanks for all the great information on so many topics!
Old 18-09-2015, 15:51   #27

Quote:
If you have a Wifi only Ipad, don't worry, a good Bluetooth GPS will get you better accuracy anyway, I use and recommend this one
Universal Bluetooth GPS Receiver for Today‚€™s Most Popular Handheld Devices | Dual Electronics

Beware though, the vast majority of Bluetooth GPS receivers will not wok on an Apple product, be sure before you buy.
If you have a WiFi only iPad and plan to get a Bluetooth GPS, make sure it is compatible. I have a Bluetooth GPS that I've used with other systems, and the iPad did not see it. I learned later that the receiver was not on the Apple approved device list. Very few Bluetooth GPS devices are approved.
Old 18-09-2015, 21:20   #28

Boat: Corsair Marine 36 trimaran

Quote:
My Raymarine C80 is still working but has had to be reset a couple of times and I am looking for a backup and access to electronic Explores Charts for the Bahamas. I want to purchase an I Pad and use Cmap. I have received conflicting information regarding whether or not I would need a wireless plan or would the I Pad be able to find the boat location internally. I would not like to be reliant on wireless coverage as part of my navigation strategy. Does anyone have experience using an I Pad for this purpose.
Steve
I have an iPad Air 2 without cellular. Take a look at the solution: DualXGPS 160

Hope that helps,
Lee
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2015, 22:10   #29

Boat: voyage Mayotte 50 ft cat

Gary, what is IIRC?
Old 18-09-2015, 22:27   #30

Quote:
Steve
Yes; get the CELLLAR version. It has a good GPS and you don't need a sim card with it for the GPS to work. You aren't reliant on cells or wifi for location either

The NON cellular versions do have some location ability from cell towers etc. but no GPS. Sales people may tell you they have GPS but they don't.

I have marine charts downloaded and saved on mine and they are as accurate as my chart plotter.

We've also in the last couple of weeks done the same on land. We took the Amtrak from Chicago to Colorado, then drove by car to Arizona and around southern Utah. Back on Amtrak at Colorado to San Fran. Then again Amtrak to Eugene OR.

The iPad GPS was flawless all the time using saved maps, It worked fine inside the Amtrak cars (sitting by a window) as well as inside our rental car. There was very often no cell coverage and it worked fine following the Colorado River in deep gorges. Cross a highway or river and it showed that exactly on the map. Its probably more challenging in a gorge in an Amtrak car than at sea. It also showed the Amtrak going at a max speed of 79.5 mph which the conductor confirmed was what they do to keep under 80.

Personally I use it for a map view on land or sea and additionally use a chart plotter in the boat or a GPS in the car as I already had them. Im sure there's a variety of apps to give you what you want. You can zoom right in to detail easily too. Also an advantage of the iPad is you can interchange between a few different map apps if you want to, and they are easy to update. Mine also has TomTom car navigation app which is flawless but I use it for map views.

If you're buying an iPad I think its a good idea to pay extra for more capacity as the apps take up space meaning the 16G model gives only 9 or 10 G max of free storage. I saw a waterproof case somewhere perhaps a Target Store for US$129. In my boat I have a proper adjustable iPad mount inside the cabin screwed onto the chart table, visible from the cockpit; with no waterproof case.

Tags
Bahamas

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: