Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2017, 08:00   #106
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: I Don't Mean to Sound Uncharitable, But...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
I may have missed the sarcasm tag, or other clues that you are actually kidding.

Or are you seriously saying that smaller, faster, better equipped USN vessels cannot keep out of the way of bigger, slower, less manoeverable cargo ships, even in the unproven instance that such ships were deliberately aimed at the navy vessels?

I can't think of a peacetime circumstance where I'd want my navy vessels at sea within one nm of any other ship period, let alone on a collision course, except as part of a planned interdiction, rescue, etc.

what i am saying is the conventional and usual methods of attack have changed.
it is time usa woke up and learned this. usa aint the be all and end all in electronix. as it stands now, russia has a system of interrupting and messing with gps causing 20 ships to be recorded erroneously in different places than actuality. they used this in black sea. .
fun, eh??? so who's to say that perhaps china hasnt perfected a way to make a cargo ship a tool of destruction. even without the conscious cooperation of the cargo ship captain. can be done remotely without affecting the navy ships nav systems.
the islands china recently created have uses we donot know as yet.
4 times, now, fast maneuverable navy destroyers have been hit midships in communications and sleeping areas doesnot raise a red flag with anyone else?? are all of you totally sleeping?? usa is unloved and a target. yes usa has enemies. usa has boots on ground in 138 nations what makes you all think todo bien?? hahahahaha destroyers are maneuverable and fast but hitting another ship with your vulnerable midships is not part of maneuvers that have actually worked. how does one move a navy destroyer sideways to accomplish this feat. answer--ye donot.
this is not a matter of colregs or who is stand on vessel as the issue is nonspecific and undefined. is act of aggression against usa. so fire more admirals. that should fix the issue. blame navy for the issue and avoid thought of it. it wont go away.
practice has made the tool more accurate. yet the arrogance of usa navy is such they cannot see the assault on the destroyers as such.
4 times is no coincidence. nor is 3 or 2. 1 yes. 2 practice. 3 pattern. 4 tool is perfected .
coles was nothing. that was a dinghy assault.
this is rendering the impossible as a perfected tool.
why not--is totally unexpected.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2017, 08:27   #107
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Zee even if what you say is a possibility there is still an issue on the navy ships. 1)lack of proper use of the mark I eyeball . 2) failure to maintain an adiquate security cordon . Guaranteed you will not see any vessel get closer than a mile from a carrier without being blocked/ challenged with the possibility/ probability of use of lethal force.
Old 25-08-2017, 10:16   #108
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Zee even if what you say is a possibility there is still an issue on the navy ships. 1)lack of proper use of the mark I eyeball . 2) failure to maintain an adiquate security cordon . Guaranteed you will not see any vessel get closer than a mile from a carrier without being blocked/ challenged with the possibility/ probability of use of lethal force.
seems they only practice this in the safe harbor of san diego when privately owned dinghies pass by the carrier basin.......
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2017, 12:17   #109

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

All of the second guessing is just that. Lets all sit back in our arm chairs. I doubt we will ever hear the whole story, but hopefully something will be learned to prevent a reoccurrence,
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2017, 12:52   #110

Boat: Moana 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i love how a cargo ship can hard right into a navy ship and it is navy fault. ...
But charts show tanker did "hard left"???

Scenario seems clear enough: McCain overtakes tanker (ALNIC) close to port and another merchant ship (GUANG ZHOU) close to stbd. GUANG ZOU doesn't like close proximity of this overtaking naval vessel so alters course to stbd. ALNIC holds her course as another ship (HYUNDAI GLOBAL) is to port and already in the separation lane. TEAM OSLO is dead ahead so McCain angles to port to clear her stern and clips ALNIC, spinning ALNIC to port as the tanker's bulbous bow locks in to the huge cavity created in McCain's hull aft of midships.

I don't see any need for cyber warfare in this simple scenario. Even if my reading is wrong there were just too many ships in too close proximity on this motorway to attempt an overtaking manoeuvre. Sorry don't know how to attach those charts.

(If the tanker was used as a weapon, then how many of those thousands and thousands of merchant ships had to be similarly weaponised, ready, and waiting for a dumb US warship to cross her bow?)
NevisDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2017, 14:58   #111
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
i love how a cargo ship can hard right into a navy ship and it is navy fault. awesome rationalizing.
4 times is a definite pattern.
There have been a lot of speculation and incorrect statements in just about every one of your posts to date on this subject.

Hard right in maybe two occasions, not four.

Hard right is in accordance with COLREGs. If the navy ship is overtaking on port and then cuts across your bow, it's your only viable course of action.

Do you have ANY evidence that the sudden turns were towards the naval vessels BEFORE the collisions? Or any evidence of what the naval vessels where doing prior to the collisions? If so please quote your sources.

Classic conspiracy theorist selective choice of "facts".
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2017, 15:00   #112
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
4 times, now, fast maneuverable navy destroyers have been hit midships in communications and sleeping areas doesnot raise a red flag with anyone else??
I think you've hit the record for the number of false "facts: in a single sentence
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2017, 19:16   #113

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Having worked on the development of mil spec shipboard systems I can speculate that most people posting here are a bit confused as to what generation electronics actually are delivered in a "new" ship.
Old 25-08-2017, 19:47   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
Having worked on the development of mil spec shipboard systems ...
Okay, so ... do tell us what we need to know - I'm all ears.
Old 25-08-2017, 20:44   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevisDog View Post
Okay, so ... do tell us what we need to know - I'm all ears.
AKA-None if you could add some comments and maybe anything you are comfortable to share around how the shipboard situational picture is different from the AIS picture on a recreational boat that might help close some of the jaws hanging on the floor here on the forum.

Folks are genuinely struggling to understand how someone watching a Class A AIS picture could get into this jam.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2017, 17:00   #116

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

By the time a ship is commissioned the systems are, shall we say, not current. It takes an amazing amount of time to develop mil spec systems and commercial electronics are multiple generations ahead. Amazing how often discrete semiconductors are used in mil spec systems. Does that help???
Old 31-08-2017, 18:09   #117

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
By the time a ship is commissioned the systems are, shall we say, not current. It takes an amazing amount of time to develop mil spec systems and commercial electronics are multiple generations ahead. Amazing how often discrete semiconductors are used in mil spec systems. Does that help???
And from what I've seen once implemented, they stay around for decades before being upgraded.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2017, 19:08   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondBase View Post
AKA-None if you could add some comments ... around how the shipboard situational picture is different from the AIS picture on a recreational boat ...
Sorry but the above comments don't help the technologically challenged like me. Does outdated electronics make it easier or harder for someone to 'hack', for example? Does this mean there are no modern 'Chinese' parts involved? Is it much more difficult to navigate in close quarters situations than with AIS, or still much superior even though outdated? All in words of one syllable please.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:20   #119

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

Returning to the thread after some time, it appears that the Navy now has the same disease that the Army has - the belief that sleep is unnecessary. It appears that sailors are being asked to function on three to four hours of sleep a day, and I know from experience how that goes - I averaged less than three hours for weeks at Ranger School, and after a while you literally fall asleep on your feet, which is what some Naval officers are saying (anonymously) happens sometimes on the bridge . My bet is that several people on the bridge that night (Fitzgerald and McCain) were effectively dozing because they were exhausted. Also it appears that recently the Navy has scrimped on training in favor of getting officers out to sea with the idea that they'll get OJT. Will be interested to see the results of the Navy review.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:44   #120

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ_n_Audrey View Post
Returning to the thread after some time, it appears that the Navy now has the same disease that the Army has - the belief that sleep is unnecessary. It appears that sailors are being asked to function on three to four hours of sleep a day, and I know from experience how that goes - I averaged less than three hours for weeks at Ranger School, and after a while you literally fall asleep on your feet, which is what some Naval officers are saying (anonymously) happens sometimes on the bridge . My bet is that several people on the bridge that night (Fitzgerald and McCain) were effectively dozing because they were exhausted. Also it appears that recently the Navy has scrimped on training in favor of getting officers out to sea with the idea that they'll get OJT. Will be interested to see the results of the Navy review.
All without the "benefit" of amphetamines as used by the Army Air Force and I believe the separate Air force back in a time. It can be done, but not without eventual high cost -just like multi-day sail races without enough crew.