How to do celestial today ...

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=nautical+almanac

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=celestial+navigation+pdf

https://maddenmaritime.files.wordpre.../01/celnav.pdf

http://navsoft.com/Celestial_Navigation_Tutorial.pdf

Old 30-11-2015, 09:17   #32

Boat: Radford 40
Re: How to do celestial today

Hey guys! I have done some celestial work in the early eighties on passages so I am not a newbe to this, after the gps era I still carry my sextant, but the reference book I used for refreshing my memory and for providing tables (The Complete On Board Celestial Navigator by George G Bennnett)is out of date ( I have the 2007-2011 edition).

I liked his book: simple, basic compact included tables, worksheets and guides, spiral bound, laid flat, sort of waterproof with just enough information to refresh my memory on the occasions I decided that I wanted to make the effort on passage.

Is there a newer edition or a similar replacement?

Regards

Tom

Old 30-11-2015, 09:36   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hildebrandt View Post
Hey guys! I have done some celestial work in the early eighties on passages so I am not a newbe to this, after the gps era I still carry my sextant, but the reference book I used for refreshing my memory and for providing tables (The Complete On Board Celestial Navigator by George G Bennnett)is out of date ( I have the 2007-2011 edition).

I liked his book: simple, basic compact included tables, worksheets and guides, spiral bound, laid flat, sort of waterproof with just enough information to refresh my memory on the occasions I decided that I wanted to make the effort on passage.

Regards

Tom
Doesn't appear that Amazon has a newer edition
Old 30-11-2015, 09:58   #34

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah

Since the only thing that can be out of date are the tables, just keep the book for reference and pick up a Nautical Almanac for the year you plan to make a passage.

Alternatively you can download the Navigation Toolkit I wrote for MS Excel (OffShoreNavigationVBA), and use it to print out an almanac for the days of the passage.

Here's a video on how to print the almanac data.
OffShoreNavigatonVBA Videos

There is probably something similar in OpenCPN.

John
Old 30-11-2015, 10:44   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:

Regards

Tom
I think I have seen a new digital copy but not a paper one anymore. Shame, as having it in digital contradicts the purpose.

Great book to learn the whole thing from the ground. I too have an older copy onboard.

Now that I see the picture clearly I simply use (sinsin+coscoscos) to calculate the wpt/wpt distance (dec, gha, lat, long). Can be resolved with pen and paper (even if one can shortcut with a calculator or with log tables).

Az 180 or 0 at noon then split 90/time. Or use a handbearing compass if the sun is low enough.

If the gps fails but the device still works, you can plug the two wpts into the unit and it will spit out distance and azimuth.

Cheers,
b.
Old 30-11-2015, 19:34   #36

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
. . . but the reference book I used for refreshing my memory and for providing tables (The Complete On Board Celestial Navigator by George G Bennnett)is out of date ( I have the 2007-2011 edition).

The current edition of that publication is about to expire. I assume a new one will be available shortly.

Alternatively you can get the "Long term Almanac" by Geoff Kolbe which is good until 2050 for sun and stars.

With this almanac you can either continue to use the sight reduction tables in the Bennett book or get something more compact like HO211/Ageton (60ish pg) or the S-tables/Pepperday (25ish pg).

I recently started using Kolbe and it works fine for me.

I've always used Ageton except when I was learning celestial and when I taught it. I've recently gotten a Pepperday but haven't really used it enough to have an opinion about it yet.

Pepperday is a modified version of Ageton. It has some extra tables and worksheets so you can work a site backwards to identify a star you shot but didn't recognize.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 01-12-2015, 05:54   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
The current edition of that publication is about to expire. I assume a new one will be available shortly...
The 4th edition covers 2011 - 215, so (hopefully) there’ll be a 5th edition covering 2016 - 2021.
Celestial Navigation | DoctorZed Publishing

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 06:19   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38

The first hit on amazon for 2016 nautical almanac popped right up $29.95 and at USPS.org $28.00 http://store.shopusps.org/Welcome/?s...utical+almanac
Old 01-12-2015, 23:10   #39

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
How to do celestial today

Quote:
Originally Posted by bletso View Post
The first hit on amazon for 2016 nautical almanac popped right up $29.95 and at USPS.org $28.00 http://store.shopusps.org/Welcome/?s...utical+almanac

OP wasn't looking for that, he was looking for an all in one book that's good for 5 yr or something similar.
Old 01-12-2015, 23:17   #40

Boat: 39' Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
OP wasn't looking for that, he was looking for an all in one book that's good for 5 yr or something similar.
No he wasn't ....
'Oh wise ones:
I used to be pretty good at celestial, having used it and taught it in various locations around the world, but I haven't picked up a sextant since GPS became so available, or since my Tamaya NC-77 became extinct. I want to get current again, but how? Is the Nautical Almanac still published in book form, or just as a download? Is there a generally-accepted program, calulator, or software that most folks use? Any suggestions on this "reinventing-the-wheel" application of technology would be apperciated.
Thanks.
-Steve, currently sailing out of Porto Belo, Santa Catarina, Brazil'

The 'paper almanac' can be used for a number of years after the date of issue for sun and stars..but not moon or planets.
You just need to make a bit of a correction to your times ... info is found in the back..or is it the front??.. of the book.

Ping aka Vasco Pyjamas.. 'never lost but often unsure of his position'....
El Pinguino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 23:23   #41

The NA is still published.

For about $5 or so more you can get Kolbe's long term almanac.
The trade off is its only good for sun and stars.

If getting back into celestial is something you want to go full tilt on go for the NA. If you are just going to peck at it periodically get the LTA and if you get serious later then get the NA.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 02-12-2015, 00:06   #42

Boat: bristol 27

I have built almanacs into the celestial navigation plugin for opencpn.. but would it be useful to print them or view them in a certain way? What about lunar tables etc?

It could be possible to just print the tables you will need for a certain ocean or area and given time ranges as well.
Old 02-12-2015, 01:29   #43

Boat: 53' Amel Super Maramu

I found a hard copy of the NA a bit difficult to find in the Caribbean and Panama before heading across the Pacific last year.

As I only typically do noon sights anyway, I use an iPad app called Celestial which has the Almanac easily pulled up, so I simply jot down the key info for every few days covering the crossing I'm doing before I leave.

Regards,
Mark
Old 02-12-2015, 01:48   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Suggest using Air Tables rather than nautical.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstevens View Post
Since the only thing that can be out of date are the tables, just keep the book for reference and pick up a Nautical Almanac for the year you plan to make a passage.

Alternatively you can download the Navigation Toolkit I wrote for MS Excel (OffShoreNavigationVBA), and use it to print out an almanac for the days of the passage.

Here's a video on how to print the almanac data.
OffShoreNavigatonVBA Videos

There is probably something similar in OpenCPN.

John
Old 04-12-2015, 09:12   #45

You can find everything you need at;

http://TheNauticalAlmanac.com

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: