Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2014, 15:23   #46
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: How to do a 18 month circumnavigation from San Francisco?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickBeth50 View Post
hi,

i read your post and the replies. I feel your pain...this is my 4th post so it won't be burdened by all the experience of the 'old' posters...here is my route

start in San Fran, then leave the harbor. once clear of land - turn due south for 1500 nm. once reaching 13N 123 W turn slightly left and track 170deg for 3000nm.

Reach 27S 118W...turn left again and head to 58S 68W...

Now you go east on the 58th parallel...There are not many islands to hit - so keep a watch and turn to avoid anything in your way, trying to stay on or around the 58th parallel...Don't stray below the 60th parallel - it is windy...Oops that was off topic...

When you go all the way around to the 122W longitude, turn north to San Fran...

Should be fun! You show the old guys!
+1and need not worry about the onset of hurricane season either
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2014, 15:53   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoloSF View Post
Thanks for taking the time to respond with your personal opinion. But again, this doesn't answer my question. I'm not looking for advice on what to do, I already have that decided. I'm looking for route planning advice.

I'm looking at a circumnavigation for the adventure, not as a lifestyle.
Then do it non-stop, via the Southern ocean.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2014, 16:13   #48

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickBeth50 View Post
hi,

i read your post and the replies. I feel your pain...this is my 4th post so it won't be burdened by all the experience of the 'old' posters...here is my route

start in San Fran, then leave the harbor. once clear of land - turn due south for 1500 nm. once reaching 13N 123 W turn slightly left and track 170deg for 3000nm.

Reach 27S 118W...turn left again and head to 58S 68W...

Now you go east on the 58th parallel...There are not many islands to hit - so keep a watch and turn to avoid anything in your way, trying to stay on or around the 58th parallel...Don't stray below the 60th parallel - it is windy...Oops that was off topic...
But he wants to visit the Med... so turn left after Cabo de Hornos up past Capetown to the Cabo Verdes...thence to the Med... then after visiting the Red Sea backtrak via Gib to Recife and then back down south and carry on.

58* S is a bit deep.... 50* S is a better bet.....
Old 28-03-2014, 16:17   #49

Oh... and I would set a start date so as to be at Cabo de Hornos around Christmas although as late as Feb would be OK.
Old 28-03-2014, 16:25   #50

Thats about 35000 miles not counting mileage in the Med and Red Sea so about 2000 miles a month over 18 months.
Old 28-03-2014, 18:06   #51

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

At the risk of getting flamed by the OP, sail southwest from San Francisco until you hit the roaring forties then head west until you can turn right and head north to Somalia and keep going until you are either killed by pirates or get hit by a dhow and sink.
If you manage to get to the Suez Canal, sell the boat and fly home counting your blessings. You really take the cake by asking for advice and flaming those trying to give it to you. You are not interested in anything that doesn't matchup with your preconceived idea of off shore cruising. IMO, you'll be lucky to get outside the GG! Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 09:19   #52

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoloSF View Post
Buy boat: Check
Find crew: Check
Save money for trip: Check
Decide on route:

I never thought that planning a route for an 18 month circumnavigation would be so difficult. There are so many factors to consider! Home port is San Francisco and the departure date can be either February 1st, 2015 , May 1st, 2015 , August 1, 2015 or November 1, 2015 (I work in sales and that's when quarters end so I want to earn a full quarters comission before I go)

Keeping in mind hurricane/storm seasons and that sailing through the Mediterranean is a must (please don't lecture me on piracy, I'm going through the Suez canal and assume all the risks-Please stay on topic about the route), how would you plan your circumnavigation? What would be your departure date and main stops in what months along the way?

I can stretch it up to 24 months, but I'm really trying to keep it as close to 18 months as possible.
World Cruising Routes, 5th Ed by Jimmy Cornell.

Voyage B, Option 2 on pg.9&10: "2yr Circumnav f/ East Coast NAmerica." With modifications for West coast departure should fit the bill. Sailing West.

Voyage I, Option 1 on pg.21&22: With modifications for West coast departure should fit the bill. Sailing East.

What boat?
How many crew?
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 09:33   #53

Assuming you are young, have a fast boat and a crew of guys who have the attitude of rock climbers. Go for it.
Have you asked yourself what your purpose of circumnavigating is? I mean is it so you can say you did it while drinking a beer in the bar or... what?
If you just want to see the world and do some cruising, why circumnavigate? If the above go for it!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2014, 02:47   #54
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop

What the OP is asking for is doable if he is willing to extend to 2 years as he mentioned.

Problem is it is only doable via the Suez as you cant get across the Indian with its variable geographical overlapping Typhoon seasons in that time frame if heading around Cape Hope.

I cant imagine anyone recommending the Suez yet with the Pirate issues?

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2014, 03:00   #55

Jeanne Socrates circumnavigated from Vancouver in 280 days. So that leaves about 270 days for a jaunt from Cabo de Hornos up to the Med/Red Sea and back to Capetown... looks good to me.
Old 30-03-2014, 03:16   #56
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolishsailor View Post
What the OP is asking for is doable if he is willing to extend to 2 years as he mentioned.

Problem is it is only doable via the Suez as you cant get across the Indian with its variable geographical overlapping Typhoon seasons in that time frame if heading around Cape Hope.

I cant imagine anyone recommending the Suez yet with the Pirate issues?

I don't know, but piracy has died down a lot in the gulf of Aden. Probably no more risky then it always was before the last 10 years.

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 30-03-2014, 04:16   #57

*If* you actually promise to attempt this plan - I'll pitch-in on a SPOT for ya!

/evil grin
Sondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2014, 04:47   #58
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I don't know, but piracy has died down a lot in the gulf of Aden. Probably no more risky then it always was before the last 10 years.

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
i will throw in some free charts for the red sea if he wants to be the CF guinea pig
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:45   #59
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
World Cruising Routes, 5th Ed by Jimmy Cornell.

Voyage B, Option 2 on pg.9&10: "2yr Circumnav f/ East Coast NAmerica." With modifications for West coast departure should fit the bill. Sailing West.

Voyage I, Option 1 on pg.21&22: With modifications for West coast departure should fit the bill. Sailing East.

What boat?
How many crew?
Thanks. These are the modifications I'm trying to work out. It gets a bit tricky with several variables to consider at once.

Beneteau 423 with 2-4 variable crew.
YoloSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:06   #60

Boat: Niagara 35

You asked a legitimate question. You got some unsolicited advice by people with different goals than you have. You were a bit harsh, but I feel your pain. There's more than one way to circumnavigate and your way is no less valid than theirs.

Beth Leonard's Voyager's Handbook is fantastic and you should buy it if you haven't already.

She outlines the minimum amount of time to circumnavigate in one of the early chapters and gives the route and timetable. She bases it on hurricane seasons and assumes a Red Sea route (written before the piracy problems got bad). Her answer is 18 months, of which you'll be at sea for about 6 months and at anchor fixing broken stuff for the rest of the time.

I have no knowledge of your experience or whether this is a good idea for you. I would certainly do it in 18 months if I was doing it without a family. Why not?

I'm not sure about the Red Sea yet, might wait another year, but that's your call, not mine.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
circumnavigation, navigation, san francisco