Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2014, 11:37   #16

Re: How to do a 18 month circumnavigation from San Francisco?

Just head West and hope for the best
Old 26-03-2014, 11:37   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horror Hotel View Post
Seems like a reoccurring theme that you start a thread and get all pissy about the answers and advice you get. Let me break it to you, "off topic" does not exist. It's a public forum and this thread goes how we make it go, it has little if anything to do with you. You could never sign on again and we might chat about it for 900 more posts. That's cruisers forum, take if or leave it . And we are by no means couch sailing, I'm on board doing a painfully slow 3.8 kts and have been on the water since October 10th. Boat travel is slow, for most it's about the destination not the trip. I do 7 months every winter and know first hand that a 18 month circ is not realistic for a safe or fun trip. A race maybe, but you would have to be a very skilled pro to do it. And from the questions you've asked in the past , you are not that guy. Maybe buy a boat in St. Augustine and in November you could follow Stanly Paris out for his circ effort, just keep him in sight and there's your route.
* Read at your own risk *

I wonder if anyone here has heard of the World ARC. The poor souls aboard these *gasp* Jeanneaus, *double gasp* Beneteau *triple gasp* Catalinas and *hold your breath!* HUNTERS set to sea every year by the dozen. They claim to circumnavigate in 18-24 months. But everyone knows they never leave the dock, instead they hide in anchorages around the corner and wait for 18-24 months and then claim to have circumnavigated. That's the only way they could possibly accomplish such a feat without a scratch and with the full crew coming back, right?

* I am not responsible for any heart attacks I may have caused by disclosing this information *
YoloSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2014, 11:47   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: YORKTOWN 33'

as others have said be nice and others will be nice to you,,,with that shortest route is straight line from bay to suez canal then straight line from medd. to panama canal then staight line back to bay,,,good luck with your goals and hope you're doing it alone not to indanger anyone's lives other than your own a leaving time is when you untie from docks
dandkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2014, 11:55   #19

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoloSF View Post
Buy boat: Check
Find crew: Check
Save money for trip: Check
Decide on route:

I never thought that planning a route for an 18 month circumnavigation would be so difficult. There are so many factors to consider! Home port is San Francisco and the departure date can be either February 1st, 2015 , May 1st, 2015 , August 1, 2015 or November 1, 2015 (I work in sales and that's when quarters end so I want to earn a full quarters comission before I go)

Keeping in mind hurricane/storm seasons and that sailing through the Mediterranean is a must (please don't lecture me on piracy, I'm going through the Suez canal and assume all the risks-Please stay on topic about the route), how would you plan your circumnavigation? What would be your departure date and main stops in what months along the way?

I can stretch it up to 24 months, but I'm really trying to keep it as close to 18 months as possible.
Just an observation, it seems like you wouldn't have time for main stops. With your other constraints you have already predetermined the route and timing. Not sure what we could add.

Just my two cents based on my circumnavigation of the North Atlantic, why turn a trip of a lifetime into a gymnastics event? What do you want out of this trip? Is it bragging rights? With the information you have provided this is where it seems you are heading.

Everyone has different goals and motivations but what you are proposing wants to be appreciated and lived.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2014, 12:24   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoloSF View Post
Another off topic response

This forum has become useless, it's full of old and bored guys who want to give their opinions and quite frankly, nobody's care about their opinions, or their fears, or their beliefs. I came here hopiung to find some experienced sailors or sailors who know other sailors that have accomplished something similar to what I"m trying to accomplish and can give me some route proposals to help me plan my trip.

Happy couch sailing
If you had prepared to sail around the world you would already have the answer to your own questions. I have Jimmy C.'s book, studied it and have a route from Oregon circumnav all planned out. I have studied the pilot charts, the wind patterns and current patterns for my route. I am slowing increasing my passage making skills to where I feel comfortable on the ocean for a week at a time. I continue to upgrade by couch (oops I mean my Valiant 40 with two settees) and feel comfortable navigating from its cockpit (ie away from the couch by a few feet).

This forum has become useless, its full of young guys that don't have the patience to learn stuff to save their lives. I am not going to give you suggestions, rather I am going to insist that you learn the stuff you need so you won't go out, make it half way to Hawaii and turn back (and then maybe make it back).

You will thank us in the future.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	411.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	78142  
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2014, 12:27   #21

Boat: Custom Marples 40 FC

I am thinking about swimming to the moon in about a week....... Any advice?
w32honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2014, 13:18   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by w32honu View Post
I am thinking about swimming to the moon in about a week....... Any advice?
Yes, make sure you go on a full moon. If you go during a crescent moon you might swim through the dark side and off into space.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2014, 13:22   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

One thing to consider. If you sail through the Panama Canal and follow the trade winds route and include the Med you could cover 30,000 sea miles or more. Could mean at least 10-12 months of your 18 will be underway.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2014, 13:30   #24
cruiser

I like the valiant 40 a lot, it's the Ferrari to my yugo.
Horror Hotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2014, 13:31   #25

Boat: ?

cornell's book's are super helpful and recommended...however all the info the OP needs for his journey is free and readily available online.

Maritime Safety Information
Sailing Weather - Marine Weather Forecasts for Sailors and Adventurers - PassageWeather

(you're welcome)

chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2014, 13:59   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horror Hotel View Post
I like the valiant 40 a lot, it's the Ferrari to my yugo.
Thanks HH, but some days it seems like a beached whale. But she's my whale, and I love upgrading her. It does go upwind like nobody's business.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2014, 14:04   #27

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Yes, make sure you go on a full moon. If you go during a crescent moon you might swim through the dark side and off into space.
What if you arrive when there's no moon, how would you find it ?

Dog paddle and wait ?
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2014, 14:19   #28

Boat: 1972 Aquarius 23'

One thing I have learned from this forum is to never have a schedule. Amongst other things there are a lot of caring and realistic people on here.

I'd suggest if 18 months is your deadline sail away when the weather is good then when your time is up fly home and sell your vessel. Respect to those wiser then yourself will go a long way. I really despise the impatience and lack of respect of kids in my generation.

wondering around with no destionation
Wonderinlost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2014, 15:13   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubby View Post
cornell's book's are super helpful and recommended...however all the info the OP needs for his journey is free and readily available online.

Maritime Safety Information
Sailing Weather - Marine Weather Forecasts for Sailors and Adventurers - PassageWeather

(you're welcome)
This is the most useful response I have gotten. Thank you
YoloSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2014, 15:24   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Nah, this one is the best bit of info. Not at all useful but funny as hell.

Coops.

Tags
circumnavigation, navigation, san francisco