Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2015, 17:39   #46

Boat: Valiant 42
Re: How many use OpenCPN?

Charts are so simple with OpenCPN it confuses some. All you have to do is copy all your charts into a folder. It doesn't matter how many charts, what type of chart or what you call the folder (aka directory). It doesn't matter if all your charts are in their own subdirectories or if they are all together in the top folder. OpenCPN doesn't care. Then go to the charts tab of the tool box (looks like a spanner) and tell OpenCPN the top level folder's name. That's it...you're done.

If your charts are already in more than one folder that's ok. Just tell OpenCPN the name of each top level folder. It will figure out the rest.

There are many ways you can organize your charts for more efficient usage but you don't have to.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 18:01   #47

Boat: Phantom 19

Andrew...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B. View Post
IMHO the creators of Open cpn have totally forgot the user friendly part of the
programing. It may be fine for computer geeks, and those that use PC's on a daily basis, but I have wasted countless
hours just attempting to get the GE plug-in to work properly. Got it to work the first time only.
Can't get the spit screen to work even with bribes since that first time !
And forget downloading charts from NOAA. and making them work .
Shame that you did not ask. As I wrote that plugin, I'm pretty sure I would be able to help you. And believe me, if it could have been done easier, it would. It simply can't.
Quote:
A wonderful collection of tools I feel sure, but the help section and manual is like a foreign language to me.
Again, never seen you ask any question on the OpenCPN forum, never seen you report something is not understandable. We fix stuff we know about, we can't fix stuff nobody tells is problematic.
Quote:
A little info on what the various abbreviations mean, a
check list for other programs we might want, or need.
Which abbreviations are causing problems? Programs you want? How can we know? Programs you need? None.
Quote:
Maybe a little more
info on what to do with the four folders you get in a noaa chart download.
How does one combine them into one to do a "Add directory"
that I assume must happen for the chart to work ? etc. etc. etc.
There is no info what to do with the folders you get after unpacking the NOAA charts is not there because there is nothing you must do with them.
Quote:
Easy peasy stuff for what I believe is less that %5 of CF users,
but a very steep learning curve for most of us I venture to opine.
And I have attempted to use the Manual, and help sections.
Again, if it is not understandable, ask. And someone, if not you, will make it more understandable for others.
Quote:
Open cpn for dummies would sell well I believe ...

I feel sure that just a few "First do this, then go here and do this, right
click that folder, drag the contents into a new folder, etc, etc, and I
would be off and running, and maybe some others too...
You mean something like this?
OpenCPN - Using NOAA RNC (BSB) Charts on Vimeo
Quote:
Sending someone to another site to get this or that, then not give the
info on what it does, and how to use it for the needed particular chore
is frustrating to say the least.
Sorry that we don't distribute charts. But we neither own or produce them.
Quote:
Sorry if this sounds like a rant. It is not my intention...I just want to
use open cpn ! And IMHO it shouldn't be so difficult to use if your target audience is indeed "sailors".
It sounds like a frustrated fellow. We don't like the fellows being frustratred and do everything we can to help them.
Quote:
And as a aside getting on the open cpn site has been impossible today !
Yes, you are right,the host generously donating hosting for opencpn.org has some technical problems today. Sorry about that.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 18:04   #48

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
I have the program on one of my laptops and kept meaning to use it on the boat. However the usb gps receiver I have doesnt work with windows 8 and I dont fancy using my win 7 machine on the water. Will have to get a win 8 compatible puck.

Im always impressed with the ongoing production of the program, and the regular updates here on C.F. Seems a lot of people are working their butts off to make the best program they can.

For those that use the program, either the stable version or the latest beta, can you tell us, as a user, the experience that you have with it, whether its easy to use or useful or as good as it appears to be?

I am not associated with OpenCPN. Im just at the crossroads of updating my hardware, and am intrigued by both the concept and what appears to a good working piece of kit.

What puck? We use BU-353 - fast - no problems - 35 bucks. BTW - I hate Win-8.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 22:44   #49
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Hi D.H.

It was boatman61 who turned me on to it early last year. I have a gps puck and played with on the boat for a while, however since have got windows 8 on a new laptop for the boat and the puck does not work with win 8

However, that said, I found it really accurate in the Bristol Channel, I now have the new version but no puck so one is ordered.

If you experienced types like it then I think I made the right choice.

You should look for the LATEST SIRF (IV?) Release. Should even work in thunderstorms!!!!
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 23:07   #50
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Andrew,

OpenCPN runs right out of the box and a special effort has been made to simplify and straighten out the Option/settings part of the user interface in the latest 4.0.

And yes, there are today countless options for specific user needs and hardware/software combinations. Options not needed to just run OpenCPN.

Don't forget that OpenCPN supports almost anything but iOS (Android is for geeks right now, yes, but this is ongoing work right now). From Raspberry Pies to networked Workstations. From 4" tablets to 30" 4K screens.

Integrated with ship systems. And supporting whole a universal of charts with different sources, datums and projections.

So perhaps we should acknowledge that the environment is complex. And OpenCPN is looking for ways to deal with this in order to satisfy the needs derived from that.

Plug-ins are one tool to adopt to individual requirements. And there are a lot.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ns-140176.html

And the Google Earth one has a it's own issue (and that's why it exists for Windows only): you rely on the API (the interface) Google provides. That does not make things easier.

Bottomline: OpenCPN is not complicated to install and to use - but if you like you can do very complicated things with it....
And finally there is the user community that will help out in case of issues.

No rant neither - but trying to add a perspective to the debate

Hubert
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 23:14   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Andrew...

Shame that you did not ask. As I wrote that plugin, I'm pretty sure I would be able to help you.

I did PM and ask, but not you. Sorry about that !

And believe me, if it could have been done easier, it would. It simply can't.
Again, never seen you ask any question on the OpenCPN forum, never seen you report something is not understandable. We fix stuff we know about, we can't fix stuff nobody tells is problematic.
Which abbreviations are causing problems? Programs you want? How can we know? Programs you need? None.
Didn't say other programs were needed, just ask. Although either the Help, or manual section did send me to a download for gkap or something like that.
There is no info what to do with the folders you get after unpacking the NOAA charts is not there because there is nothing you must do with them.
Again, if it is not understandable, ask. And someone, if not you, will make it more understandable for others.
You mean something like this?
OpenCPN - Using NOAA RNC (BSB) Charts on Vimeo
Thanks for the informative video. Now hopefully after viewing it a lot I will be able to duplicate what you did.It took you 2:46. How much practice can I have before I go for the record ? lol Dan helped a lot with telling me to copy the download from noaa to another folder, name it whatever then ADD the selection. Slower than your method, but for me maybe better organized. You make the multiple charts method look easy. I will let you know how easy it is for an non-geek that hasn't done it before.
Sorry that we don't distribute charts. But we neither own or produce them.
It sounds like a frustrated fellow. Yes, very ! After attempting seven ways to Sunday to get GE and open cpn to do a split screen as it did the first time I used it after downloading open cpn. Should be repeatable, should it not ? So how do I fix it ? I sent a PM and have got no reply. Where was the copy the noaa download folder and put in another folder instructions in help or the manual for noaa charts ? I must have missed that.
We don't like the fellows being frustratred and do everything we can to help them. I am much less frustrated now that I actually got some charts Added, and I think working. Thanks again Dan.
Yes, you are right,the host generously donating hosting for opencpn.org has some technical problems today. Sorry about that.

Pavel
And thanks for the hopefully useful reply.

"The best cure for sea sickness, is to sit under a tree."
~Spike Milligan.
.............."Life's not fair, and people don't act right"~Me.........
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 23:59   #52

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

I use OCPN. Like a earlier poster I had Nobeltec previously. but OPCN ins now my primary nav program, IMO it is very easy to use and very capable. I'd highly recommend it, if you are PC literate. If not, a proprietary plotter system set up and configured by a supplier, may be best for you. :-)
Old 26-01-2015, 05:17   #53

Boat: Valiant 42
How many use OpenCPN?

The first time user of OpenCPN should be able to see charts by just unzipping some NOAA files in a folder and tell OpenCPN the name of the folder on the charts tab of the tools section (button with a spanner). Its so easy probably a lot of people don't read the documentation.

I would suggest that trying to get help using private messages is not the best way. Just go to the OpenCPN section and post your question or problem. Lots more people will see it and someone else may benefit from the answer. There are no dumb questions so don't worry about that.

The developers are from all over the world. Many speak multiple languages. And they are volunteering their time and skill. They are all pretty excited to be a part of this development. In the open source world this project is a big deal. I say this as a way of explaining that a post telling the developers they are all stupid may not help them solve the problem. Patience and a clear explanation of what is wrong goes a long way toward getting a problem solved. But in my experience problems get answered much more quickly than on manufacturer's online forums or by phone. And the price of OpenCPN is hard to beat. Many systems costing $$$ do not have all it's capability.

And then there's that old saw that goes with every open source project. If you find something wrong with the documentation you can always sign up and help make it better.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 23:23   #54

Boat: Swan 56

I use a number of different electronic platforms in the course of my sailing including PC based OpenCPN, Expedition, Maxsea, tablet based Navionics and B&G & Raymarine chartplotters.

For a cruising application, it is hard not to recommend OpenCPN

I think the guys developing this product are doing a great job. The software is developing rapidly in all directions, and some directions won't suit the individual user, but I think the plugin approach deals with this nicely: Load what you want, ignore what you don't need.

OpenCPN leads the field in some areas (graphical display of CPA of vessels on the AIS is the best I've seen). Areas where it lags i'm sure will be addressed in time.
bewitched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2015, 07:48   #55

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

I am excited by the ocpn and am looking forward to trying it. I don't currently have a computer that will run it and am still intimidated enough by pc use that I am having a hard time spending the money for a dedicated unit when I have never created a folder. Nor do I know how to unzip the files. So you can see why the instructions to download the map if are over my head. With the plugin to "click here" to make the charts ready to use we are a step closer for me.

I watched the video and that is very good help. Is there a way to make it slow motion so I can watch it on my iPad while doing the steps on my new tough book?

Is there a glossary of terms and acronyms readily available?

Thanks everyone for your efforts on this project.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2015, 21:45   #56

Boat: WALLER MKII CAT 11M

first thanks to all the people who have developed this program.I have tried running a while ago but basically gave with trying to get the correct charts for the area I am interested in mainly indian ocean capetown to Madagascar.if anyone knows of a site that I can " download" the charts without getting corrupt /virus infected files please PM me. I would love to be able to use cpn...thanking you all in advance
delcrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2015, 01:13   #57

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
Don't forget that OpenCPN supports almost anything but iOS (Android is for geeks right now, yes, but this is ongoing work right now).
OpenCPN can in theory already run on iOS and sailfish os in an experimental state. This is the save as native support on android (not via linux), but so far no one who has such a device has attempted this.
Quote:

And the Google Earth one has a it's own issue (and that's why it exists for Windows only): you rely on the API (the interface) Google provides. That does
Somehow the opensource program "subsurface" has access to google earth imagery. It is only a matter of taking their approach and rewriting it to work within opencpn to make it work on all operating systems. From there, we could add support to scan areas, and work only along coastlines etc... The generated charts could be compressed as well. Finally, it could sample different aged images to try to get shots at high and low tide, and filter to make reefs very visible, not just barely noticed. Additionally support to cross-reference cm93 charts and detect disagreements might be interesting. I have a lot more ideas I won't list here.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, opencpn