Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2016, 14:43   #1

Boat: Currently in between
How late in the year can you sail south out of Canada?

Hi all,

Crazy question here but looking at a Canadian boat on the Great Lakes. I would like to fly up, look at it, strike a deal and hire a surveyor fairly quickly. But only go through this quickly business if there is a chance of getting the boat south this year.

Many years and many hours experience with power, scant few under sail.

Depending on what the consensus of Forum members is (yes, I love the wealth of knowledge and think good advice does come out of here or I wouldn't be here) the plan would be:

1. Boat negotiations would include present owner taking the boat, and me, down to the Erie Canal. I believe that is the way to get to the Atlantic from the Great lakes, correct?

2. Once mast is taken down and secured I would then motor across the canal, wife and I.

3. I would think it would be OK to motor down the Hudson to NY or does someone know a reason not to do so?

4. At NY get the mast stepped and hire a captain to take the wife and I south. The wife and I would benefit from the experience with the qualified captain.

Is the given route the right and best way to the Atlantic from the Great Lakes?

Does the plan to have seller move the boat to Buffalo and then I motor the canal and a captain sail us south sound reasonable?

What is the latest time of year this trip could be undertaken?

It may be a pipe dream to think this could happen this year but I would hate to wait until the thaw to move the vessel.
Old 17-10-2016, 14:49   #2

Boat: Sea Ray 330 Sundancer
How late in the year can you sail south out of Canada?

Put it on a truck.

Just out of curiosity though, how high up on the lakes are we talking? Good chance the seller will need to have it out of the water in the next month anyway.
Enrique100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 14:52   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: How late in the year can you sail south out of Canada?

First most of the boats are being hauled on the Great Lakes now. But, if you hurry and get a boat on Lake Erie or Ontario you might get everything done and get through the Canal before it closes for the winter around November 20.

Your plan is doable if all the parts fall into place but you'd better hurry. Getting cold up here fast!
Old 17-10-2016, 15:52   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

If you are very set on sailing south with a captain, you could "portage" to NYC, put her in there and sail south.

FWIW- you will have more fun learning if you truck it down to FLA and day sail. Then day sail sometimes with a captain, and sometimes alone.

Will she be US or Canadian flagged? If she is going to be US, you may want to check into the correct steps for that process.

Feel free to PM
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 21:35   #5

Boat: Truant Triad 37 Cutter-Alaska, Leopard 40 Cat, Bahamas

Where do you want to end up?
seahag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2016, 06:20   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrique100 View Post
Put it on a truck.

Just out of curiosity though, how high up on the lakes are we talking? Good chance the seller will need to have it out of the water in the next month anyway.
Georgian Bay

And yes, pulling it out for Winter is one of my concerns. Owner hasn't called back yet so it may already be out for all I know.
Old 18-10-2016, 06:24   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
First most of the boats are being hauled on the Great Lakes now. But, if you hurry and get a boat on Lake Erie or Ontario you might get everything done and get through the Canal before it closes for the winter around November 20.

Your plan is doable if all the parts fall into place but you'd better hurry. Getting cold up here fast!
See, that is the value of this forum! I had no idea the canal closes!! Dang, another fly in the ointment.

Although I think if I wasn't in NY by Thanksgiving I wouldn't want to be making the trek. I would wait until Spring, unless I truck it down.
Old 18-10-2016, 06:33   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
If you are very set on sailing south with a captain, you could "portage" to NYC, put her in there and sail south.

FWIW- you will have more fun learning if you truck it down to FLA and day sail. Then day sail sometimes with a captain, and sometimes alone.

Will she be US or Canadian flagged? If she is going to be US, you may want to check into the correct steps for that process.

Feel free to PM
I think if it ends up on a truck it will come all the way to SE FL and splash her here.

I never had the Erie Canal on my radar, ever. That being said, now that this opportunity presents itself it has, in a couple of weeks time, become somewhat of a bucket list item. Won't kill me if I don't do it but the thought of it happening is pretty exciting.

I may have to wait out Winter if I really want to do the Canal as I might enjoy the whole trip more if I'm not rushed and the weather is better. Something to think about.

US flagged and the import hoops will be next on the list.
Old 18-10-2016, 06:39   #9

Boat: Catalina 34MKII

If you do decide to do your bucket list trip don't plan on it until mid May at the earliest, and mid June would be much more comfortable. The north lakes are very cold mothers.
Old 18-10-2016, 06:45   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahag View Post
Where do you want to end up?
The thought is our stay in Florida, where we presently live, will be short. Some quick outfitting to make her into our home as well as anything the survey may turn up.

Day sails with and without a captain, build that experience. Maybe a coastal 'passage' around southern FL and out to the Dry Tortugas to experience over-nighters, with a captain. Then:

We are outta here!

Carib for a year or two, no rush to see it all and do it all quickly. Not sure yet if we want to cross the Pacific but certainly want to go through the Panama Canal and experience the Baja.

Where do we want to end up? On the water and, for the most part, out of American waters. Not that they are bad but we really want to experience the beauty that is out there and other cultures.
Old 18-10-2016, 06:47   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdidit View Post
If you do decide to do your bucket list trip don't plan on it until mid May at the earliest, and mid June would be much more comfortable. The north lakes are very cold mothers.
Tom, thanks so much for that.

If I were to wait that would have been my next question, how early could I do it? You have answered that so another box in my spreadsheet has been filled in.
Old 18-10-2016, 06:54   #12

Hijacking my own thread since this isn't a navigating question..

If I were to truck, anyone have even a ball park idea of the cost to ship a 40 foot, 13 ton, 5'7" draft vessel from Ontario to FL? Can it even be done?

If you have done it or know someone who has, can you, or would you, recommend the shipping company?
Old 18-10-2016, 07:01   #13
Marine Service Provider

Please see my PM thanks
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2016, 07:50   #14

Boat: Valiant 40

One of the problems with starting from Lake Eerie this time of year is the amount of daylight. It's dwindling fast each day.

Folks that head down the ICW like to be past Norfolk by Nov. 1 as a general rule due in part to the shortening days as it cuts dramatically into how many miles you can roll each day. Realistically you're not going to get a deal done for two weeks. That puts you leaving probably around mid-November. You won't even be in NYC by Thanksgiving.

I too would put it on a truck and just get it to where you want to be. If you can afford to hire a captain for the trip to Florida, you can afford to have it trucked.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2016, 08:21   #15

Bone chilling cold will take all of the fun out of that idea. Does your mate like being cold? As most have said, TRUCK IT and then enjoy it. My 2 cents worth. Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Canada, sail