Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2013, 06:03   #1

Boat: Samson C-Falcon 41'9" composite ketch (designed by Cece Norris)
How Do I Stop My Charts Rotting!?

hi my charts went a bit mouldy so i sprayed them a year ago with bleach, then rinsed them in water and dried them on racks on a calm day. but they are now quite fragile i guess the bleach is still eating them.

does anyone with chemistry knowledge know how neutralise bleach?!

thnx
J
Shanaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 07:27   #2

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane
Re: How Do I Stop My Charts Rotting!?

Use Hydrogen Peroxide to stop the bleaching effect; sold in brown bottles at your local drug store. Wipe damp dry whatever you've bleached with Hydrogen Peroxide; 3% - 5% water solution is all you need. Do not leave the open bottle exposed to air for too long, or to the sun. Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 07:59   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Maybe store them in a large plastic bag with an airtight zipper with desiccant inside of the bag? Or perhaps use a wide flat air tight Pelican case with desiccant.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 08:13   #4

Boat: Columbia C45 45'

We place these all over the boat, 6.7 oz. Closet Dehumidifier (Case of 6)-755.6 at The Home Depot, Closet Dehumidifier. They help a lot and are not expensive. I have one sitting next to anything I don't want to get mold on it. I have to give my wife credit for this one. You can also purchase refill material for them.
boating2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 08:19   #5

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanaly View Post
hi my charts went a bit mouldy so i sprayed them a year ago with bleach, then rinsed them in water and dried them on racks on a calm day. but they are now quite fragile i guess the bleach is still eating them.

does anyone with chemistry knowledge know how neutralise bleach?!

thnx
J
I was advised by a used book/chart dealer that, depending upon the paper used in the making of the charts, the humidity in the air can/will combine with sulfur compounds in the paper and ink--particularly yellows--to create a mild acid which, of course, eats up the paper. That accounts for the, relative, rapid deterioration of inexpensive paper. While some chart papers are treated to provide a measure of water-proofing, the treatment may have been compromised by the bleaching which would also have weakened the fiber used in the paper making, even linen, and it's unlikely your charts are printed on linen paper. The suggestion for nearly air-tight storage with a desiccant by David M, above, is probably your best option at this point. Good luck!
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 10:36   #6

Boat: Columbia 41

Try storing the charts in clear plastic tubes. Put rock salt into a baby's sock and insert the sock into the plastic tube. The salt will keep the air in the tube dry. I pack my matches in rock salt sealed in a small plastic Rubbermaid container. It really does work.
Sam Plan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 11:06   #7

Boat: Columbia 45 / Iroquois 30

milk of magnesia neutralizes the acidity. I used to do to stop newspapers from turning yellow. It may work. large bowl and a tablespoon per full double page
sushirama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 11:07   #8

Before storing his charts, he still has to clean them from mold first! If you store moldy charts...I'll leave that to you to figure out what will happen next... Mauritz <Biochemist and Engineer>
Old 27-01-2013, 11:10   #9
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

sushirama--mom will not neutralize a basic solution such as bleach. only acids.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 11:31   #10
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

J-
You need to restore the charts to neutral pH levels, and if they were not printed on acid-free stock to begin with...Are you someplace near civilization where there are museums or art galleries that can refer you to a local paper conservationist? They might be willing to share a little information with you without asking for the usual fees. Especially if you can find someone at a museum.
Paper, especially wood-pulp stock, doesn't like being washed or soaked, but you'll need to determine the material, test the pH level, then apply something to neutralize it. Possibly an alkaline solution in water.
I'd be reluctant to put peroxide on printed charts, since it is a "bleach" and the inks may not react well to it.
One you get them stabilized, you need a way to store them dry and flat, keeping damp air and spores away. Often not possible on a boat, so they get rolled & stored in tubes with screw-on caps.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 12:19   #11

Bleach is an alkaline solution (base solution) with a pH of 12. You cannot neutralize it by adding another alkaline solution to it. An acidic solution is required to neutralize it. Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) will neutralize bleach. In all likelihood, bleach has damaged if not destroyed the charts by now. Common sense dictates that you should never store anything moldy. For acute mold problems, a mixture of bleach and formaldehyde will kill EVERYTHING; formaldehyde is a highly toxic cancerous agent, not to mention that it also causes liver failure with prolonged exposure. Unless you are a Chemist trained in the use of fungicides, you should never attempt that route. Mauritz
Old 27-01-2013, 12:40   #12

Boat: grampian 26

Try Aquaseal map seal.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 14:09   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

How about having them photocopied?
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 14:41   #14
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

I had a friend who coated his with thinned clear epoxy. He reported good results
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 15:05   #15

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra

Bleach (sodium hypochlorite) is not only an alkaline solution, it is also an oxidizer, as is hydrogen peroxide. This oxidizing property is used to remove stains from clothes but everyone knows that too much enthousiasm might remove the cloth altogether.

You can neutralize the alkaline effect with an acid but I don't see how to neutralize the oxidizing effect (my chemistry lessons are a thing of the ancient past). However, I remember that sunlight destroys bleach. You could try to spread your charts in the sun.

To destroy mould, I would try "cooking" it: putting a chart in an oven at a "reasonable" temperature for a few moments (only to be tried with *paper*, not synthetic charts).

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charts