Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2014, 14:15   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 4
Honolulu to Miami

I'm have just found myself with available time for world cruising. I have a Cal 39' and would like to sail to Florida from Hawaii. I know the most obvious route is to sail north from here and take the. Pacific High to the West Coast southward.

What I really want to do is sail the South Pacific / Australia or NZ and the move towards Central America.

I have an older version of J Cornell's world cruising routes and see some viability.

What I am looking for some feedback is whether my desired route is somewhat reasonable, the various routes for conservation and general timeline expectations.

Even some feedback on the Northern route from those that might have done it would be appreciated.

Mahalo.
__________________

__________________
HawaiiParatroop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2014, 14:22   #2
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,311
Images: 75
Re: Honolulu to Miami

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiParatroop View Post
I'm have just found myself with available time for world cruising. I have a Cal 39' and would like to sail to Florida from Hawaii. I know the most obvious route is to sail north from here and take the. Pacific High to the West Coast southward.

What I really want to do is sail the South Pacific / Australia or NZ and the move towards Central America.

I have an older version of J Cornell's world cruising routes and see some viability.

What I am looking for some feedback is whether my desired route is somewhat reasonable, the various routes for conservation and general timeline expectations.

Even some feedback on the Northern route from those that might have done it would be appreciated.

Mahalo.
great route go for it,leave hawaii in april,head for tuvalu,then vanuatu,torres straits in july,cape town by november,cross to northen brazil by march,carib may arrive florida june. easy
__________________

__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2014, 16:18   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 4
Re: Honolulu to Miami

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
great route go for it,leave hawaii in april,head for tuvalu,then vanuatu,torres straits in july,cape town by november,cross to northen brazil by march,carib may arrive florida june. easy
@Atoll

What if you didn't didn't want to go the Tierra del Fuego route?

Would it be possible to sail from NZ to Galapgos?

While I have time available, it is more in the 4-5 months (tops) range....so maybe not world cruising time frames.
__________________
HawaiiParatroop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2014, 16:42   #4
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,311
Images: 75
Re: Honolulu to Miami

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiParatroop View Post
@Atoll

What if you didn't didn't want to go the Tierra del Fuego route?

Would it be possible to sail from NZ to Galapgos?

While I have time available, it is more in the 4-5 months (tops) range....so maybe not world cruising time frames.
i cant see what cape horn has to do with this discussion?
(cape town is the s tip of africa,not south america where tierra del fuego is)

the other route would be via the red sea,which would put you in miami in jan feb

for nz to galapagos you would leave nz in nov-dec stay on 40 s till peru,then head north to galapagos,arriving about 3 months later.
__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2014, 16:48   #5
Senior Cruiser
 
SkiprJohn's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Kea'au, Big Island, Hawaii
Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"
Posts: 14,192
Re: Honolulu to Miami

I can't comment on what Atoll has suggested which seems an ok route. I've done the north from Hawaii to Washington state route which was, in my opinion, a wonderful sail. 22 days to Washington in a smaller boat than yours and never encoutered winds higher than 35 and only those were for a short duration. I left from Hanalei in Kauai. I left the first of August.
__________________
John
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2014, 18:13   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 4
Re: Honolulu to Miami

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
i cant see what cape horn has to do with this discussion?
(cape town is the s tip of africa,not south america where tierra del fuego is)

the other route would you would leave nz in nov-dec stay on 40 s till peru,then head north to galapagos,arriving about 3 months later.
Thanks. I couldn't see the route you were describing initially until I broke out my google earth globe.

Another question then....if I wanted to go from Hawaii to Tahiti and then towards the Canal is the best route the one you last described "stay on 40 s till peru,then head north to galapagos,arriving about 3 months later"?
__________________
HawaiiParatroop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2014, 18:19   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 4
Re: Honolulu to Miami

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
I can't comment on what Atoll has suggested which seems an ok route. I've done the north from Hawaii to Washington state route which was, in my opinion, a wonderful sail. 22 days to Washington in a smaller boat than yours and never encoutered winds higher than 35 and only those were for a short duration. I left from Hanalei in Kauai. I left the first of August.
@SkiprJohn

Thanks for your input. This is definitely a route I need to look at more since it's the most likely for me. I know a few folks that have done it. I was just hoping to get some S. Pacific views in before heading towards Panama. It might entail me just sailing down and then back up to Hawaii before heading towards the west coast.
__________________
HawaiiParatroop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2014, 18:21   #8
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,311
Images: 75
Re: Honolulu to Miami

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiParatroop View Post
Thanks. I couldn't see the route you were describing initially until I broke out my google earth globe.

Another question then....if I wanted to go from Hawaii to Tahiti and then towards the Canal is the best route the one you last described "stay on 40 s till peru,then head north to galapagos,arriving about 3 months later"?

as a sailing route yes,the above,
but if you have the ability to motor sail, after june- july you have light to moderate westerly winds along the ITCZ,, around 7N to the equator as far as panama
__________________

__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cal, cal 39, canal, florida, hawaii, Honolulu, miami, south pacific

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Aloha from Honolulu NTD Meets & Greets 13 01-10-2013 16:28
Crew Available: Want to Crew on Honolulu to California Boat Delivery IanUSA Crew Archives 1 13-07-2010 20:25
Crew Available: Honolulu to California ASAP IanUSA Crew Archives 0 18-05-2010 17:14
Question About Honolulu Sailing Co jennsnow General Sailing Forum 2 04-08-2009 15:56
Alohas from Honolulu aquadood Meets & Greets 8 26-07-2008 03:52



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 16:10.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.