Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2008, 13:59   #1

Help with WeatherFax and SeaTTY

Hi,
I started trying to get Weatherfaxes through my SSB receiver last week. The receiver is a portable Eton E5. It doesn't have a USB/LSB switch. I am able to hear the time signals and the Chubasco Cruising Net on it (I am in San Diego, California).
I think I am actually getting the fax signals into my computer but the image is messed up.
From looking at the resulting image (please see my attachment) it looks like there is some lack of synchronisation somewhere.
Also, the two frequency peaks of the signal seem to be slightly over 800 Hz appart, so I can never overlay both peaks with the vertical red lines...
I have set up (I think) the sampling frequency of my sound card at 11025 Hz (see my second screen print)
I am trying to receive from NOAA in Point Reyes at 8682 KHz, setting 120LPM, 576 IOC just like the NOAA website says.

Any ideas anybody? Please help!!

Alejandro
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SeaTTY_screenshot.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	6066   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sound_Card_Setting.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	6067  

desierto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 19:48   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Passport 47 CC
Send a message via Yahoo to SV Someday Came
Quote:
Originally Posted by desierto View Post
Hi,
I started trying to get Weatherfaxes through my SSB receiver last week. The receiver is a portable Eton E5. It doesn't have a USB/LSB switch. I am able to hear the time signals and the Chubasco Cruising Net on it (I am in San Diego, California).
I think I am actually getting the fax signals into my computer but the image is messed up.
From looking at the resulting image (please see my attachment) it looks like there is some lack of synchronisation somewhere.
Also, the two frequency peaks of the signal seem to be slightly over 800 Hz appart, so I can never overlay both peaks with the vertical red lines...
I have set up (I think) the sampling frequency of my sound card at 11025 Hz (see my second screen print)
I am trying to receive from NOAA in Point Reyes at 8682 KHz, setting 120LPM, 576 IOC just like the NOAA website says.

Any ideas anybody? Please help!!

Alejandro
I cannot help with the sound card stuff, but according to the NOAA manual, the carrier frequency is 1.9 kHz below the assigned frequency. Thus, you have to subtract 1.9 kHz from the initial frequency. Therefore, instead of tuning to 8682, you would to tune to 8680.1.

But.... check the PDF manual file yourself to be sure -- the information about frequency and carrier signal is on pp. IV-4 - IV-5.
SV Someday Came is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 20:36   #3

Got it going!

Thanks,
I got it figured out. Sometimes there is this electrical noise in my marina that screws up the images completely but for the most part I am getting them alright.
desierto is offline   Reply With Quote