Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2014, 06:43   #31

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Gulf Stream Question.

accomplice,
Batten down your hatches at the hotel as well...

You sound like you are well equipped....I was primarily hoping that others may learn from your experience and some additional info...

Specifically...
I never mentioned anything about Distress, nor making a Distress Call???
I'm not sure where you read that in my words above....but just so we are "all on the same page", I never assumed that you were ever in any distress, nor did I ever mentioned anything about making a Distress call....

Perhaps there is a misunderstanding somewhere, that a DSC call is a "Distress" call...(DSC = Digital Selective calling)

You can make a "routine" DSC call, a "Safety" DSC call (like a "securite" call), a "urgency" DSC call (a "Pan Pan"), or a Distress DSC call ("Mayday")....
And, no where did I suggest anything to do with Distress....

A quick DSC "Safety" call on 2187.5khz would have raised Bermuda.....or a Voice call on 4125mhz (or possibly even 2182khz) would have also raised them....
But, none of those would be a "Distress" call...

Further, there seems to be a misconception that the GMDSS Safety / Calling freqs are exclusive to "distress"....they are NOT....
The GMDSS DSC frequencies are specifically designated as distress, urgency, and safety freqs....(and although there is little other traffic there, the ITU / GMDSS does allow other/routine messaging there as well...they even recommend using the GMDSS equipment for routine messaging, in order to maintain operator proficiency!)
The GMDSS Voice frequencies are specifically designated as "safety" and "calling" frequencies....(moving to other working freqs, if necessary for further traffic, after establishing contact and initial traffic...)

So, to be clear, you CAN use your DSC signaling on the GMDSS DSC freqs for NON-Distress signaling....and it is done regularly (I regularly receive "all-ships" / "safety" calls, when on the radio)
{they are 2187.5khz; 4207.5lhz; 6312khz; 8414.5khz; 12577khz; 16804.5khz...}

And, you CAN use SSB Voice on the GMDSS Voice Safety and Calling freqs, for NON-Distress signaling....
{they are 2182khz; 4125khz; 6215khz; 8291khz; 12290khz; 16420khz...}

Quote:
Originally Posted by accomplice View Post
Yes, we are equipped with a DSC capable M-802.

I was not in distress, and as such didn't see necessary to raise Bermuda radio on the HF/SSB distress frequencies. I didn't consider using distress frequencies to inquire as to Bermuda frequencies. That is a good idea to contact WLO for information ... hadn't thought of that. I simply didn't know if Bermuda marops wanted regular reporting from our vicinity and was able to find this out via Sat phone, albeit indirectly.

If I were truly in distress, or felt endangered by the weather, I would not have hesitated to get on distress frequencies.

I hope this helps some of you guys out....
Understanding of the GMDSS and HF calling procedures seem to be a confusing issue....
Please read thru the links I provided above, and you'll see all the details...

Fair winds...

John
s/v Annie Laurie
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 06:47   #32

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

Good points. Thank you.

Internet is a bit slow here with 30 of us huddled around access point in hotel lobby. Will read links at later date.
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2014, 13:30   #33

Accomplice, how did you (and your boat) fare? AP is reporting power still on for about half the island, so hopefully you have found internet access. The webcam on the Navy Dock was showing the tops of some masts sticking out of the water -hopefully the situation is better on your side of the island?
Yukon Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 05:47   #34

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

We survived. Bliss still swings from her mooring with virtually no damage.

Sent from my XT1060 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gulf stream