Originally Posted by Matthias_1982
We have just purchased an steel
yacht from the netherland and we are planning to start this summer towards the caribbien. Now I am looking for maps and guide books. Which one is in your opinion the best one?
Regards and Thank you
1. First what kid of boat are you sailing more importantly draft
2. How do you rate your Navigational Skills from 1 - 10 in new areas or how confident are you.?
3. Do you have shallow water
Reason for the questions are:
1. Some routes and places are not as accessible or fun for deep draft
boats. Some places nowadays have made pumping out a real pain.
2. Many parts of the Caribbean have shifting shoals and uncharted areas not fit for newer to or even intermediate sailors.
3. In some parts of the Caribbean you can get yourself in a pickle if you miscalculate tides upon passing curtain areas even miles offshore
I have a friend who sailed a boat with a 10ft draft all over the Caribbean for 7 years with his wife and never hit ground once but he is an exceptional sailor and very knowledgeable of most areas. Curtain things can greatly change your experiance cruising anywhere in the world. I learned the lesson the hard way cruising the Philippines