Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2010, 21:59   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.furborough View Post
There is an bit of a weakness in the RL series, the HSB transmitter/receivers built into the units are weak and can fail, also they need a termination resistor which is sometimes integrated into the connection lead/plug. If this fails you cannot get them from Raymarine, unless you can find one on eBay or similar you will only be able to use your units as stand alones.

Well , i must say my units are ' on speaking terms ' without any resistor terminal what so ever.
I just hope , now the NMEA reciever and not a seatalk one is in place , that my autopilot is still in symbiosis with the master unit being the RL80CRC.
All said and done , i remain pleased with my units , allthough they weren't cheap at the time, they perform excellent.

Greatings
bobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 03:45   #17

Boat: Freedom 32 (Hoyt)
Hi bobs, I was not saying the RL's are a bad unit, they just have a weakness we come across. During installation that the cables should not be cut or spliced in anyway at all as this can cause problems that are not immediately apparent. Recently I looked at a similar set-up with a master unit at the nav table and a slave at the helm on a 46' Hunter where the radar data was not being transferred, this installation had worked well for many years until the units stopped talking to each other, unfortunatley to make the cable install easier the molded connectors had been cut off and reconnected, remaking the connection did not work, the only solution was a cable replacement. the customer was no lucky as we could not find one at the time as Raymarine has discontinued the HSB cable, they are sometimes available as surplus on eBay though. Also a near, not direct, lightning strike can take out the inter-unit communication transmitters in the units and the units still function well as stand alone items.

the terminators are actually integrated into the molded plug on the cable.
r.furborough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 22:38   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.furborough View Post
There is an bit of a weakness in the RL series, the HSB transmitter/receivers built into the units are weak and can fail, also they need a termination resistor which is sometimes integrated into the connection lead/plug. If this fails you cannot get them from Raymarine, unless you can find one on eBay or similar you will only be able to use your units as stand alones.
Ok r.furborough , i will take your advice most surtenly to heart.
And with your last post you brought up the most annoying aspect in the world of navigation equipment , ....the continious changing of models and technology , leaving the ' old ' customers to their own devices by not producing new software nor spare parts.

Thanks again and kind regards.
bobs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps receivers