Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2017, 10:46   #1

Boat: 1991 Californian 52CPMY
GPS "Dead" Zones?

Hi folks,
I just returned from my first trip to the Isthmus at Catalina, which was great. On the way there my Garmin GPS suddenly lost all satellite contact. It lasted for maybe 15 minutes before coming back online. During that time I checked all connections at the display and antennae, but could find no reason for it. Yesterday, on the way home, I lost satellite contact again in the exact same spot, which is off of Pt. Mugu, where there are heavy military coms. This time it only lasted about a minute or two.

It seems like if it was a bad electrical connection it might do this, with the exception of losing contact in the exact same geographical spot. So, have any of you encountered GPS "Dead" spots before? All comments and opinions are welcomed.

Cheers, Bill
montenido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:31   #2

Boat: Catalina 387
Re: GPS "Dead" Zones?

There was a FAA notice in June (IIRC) that GPS may be less than reliable in the southwest. Navy testing something.

To know if it's your equipment - use more than one GPS. Your phone is an excellent backup GPS.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:45   #3

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

Had a similar issue in the Channel Islands. Turned out that my solar panels blocked the built-in antenna on my helm-mounted chart plotter. In my case, simply (temporarily) moving the CP to a spot where the antenna had a good signal was sufficient. Once synched with the satellites, the unit worked fine in its normal position.

I've had a similar problem on rare occasions when the plotter has been powered down for a considerable time, so it takes a long time to find enough satellites for a fix. Again, giving the antenna an unobstructed view helped a lot.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 16:22   #4

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

There have been some very big solar flares lately, which can interfere with GPS signals. But I don't think they exactly align with the time/date you had trouble. . . .

https://www.engadget.com/2017/09/07/...ommunications/
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 17:18   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I have had accuracy issues with gps. I have left the nav programs on at anchor and at my home dock. The tracks generated cover as much as 200 yards. Track is always moving. Sometimes it takes off in a line even further. Much more than the anchor chain and the dock is fixed by pilings. I use TZ Navigator and OpenCPN and have Furuno GPS, a puck gps and a reciever for the European and Russian systems that also reads gps. They all do it. The Euro/Russian is a little worse. I suppose in Alaska, the mountains eliminate some of the satellites. Still much better than Loran or stars on the ocean. Pic is at a dock, open sky.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GPS track.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	155916  
Lepke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 18:10   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I think it's signal quality or the lack of it anyway.
Usually there is a page where you can view the Sats your tracking and the DOP or EPE, dilution of precision, or estimated position error.

I gave up on Drag Queen as a phone app even though it's great, but my phone would suddenly travel a ways in the middle of the night and set the alarm off, but by the time I got up and checked it, it was accurate again, took a few times for me to figure out what was going on
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps