Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2011, 05:13   #1

Boat: a sailing boat
GPS Alternatives Update - Galileo System

Hi,

They say two more satellites up and the system expected to become operational 2014. Sure.

Link:
Galileo looks to the skies on Russian rocket — RT

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2011, 09:42   #2

Re: GPS Alternatives Update - Galileo System

This is good news, especially when discussing the use of independent positioning systems to determine ship's position.
Old 24-10-2011, 03:20   #3

Quote:
This is good news, especially when discussing the use of independent positioning systems to determine ship's position.
These days there are already two independent sat positioning systems in use: GPS (US) and GLONASS (Russia). Chinese COMPASS already has 5 satellites up and 30 more coming. Now Europe is in the game with their first 2 out of 22 up.

Skies will be much more busy by 2014...
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 05:49   #4

Hmmm, yes, but I am not sure the glonass has full global coverage neither if it is available to the sailing public(?)

b.
Old 24-10-2011, 06:07   #5

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Hmmm, yes, but I am not sure the glonass has full global coverage neither if it is available to the sailing public(?)
b.
Actually they are more available than we would expect. Here from Wikipedia:
Receivers

Septentrio, Topcon, JAVAD, Magellan Navigation, Novatel, Leica Geosystems and Trimble Inc produce GNSS receivers making use of GLONASS. NPO Progress describes a receiver called "GALS-A1" which combines GPS and GLONASS reception. SkyWave Mobile Communications manufactures an Inmarsat-based satellite communications terminal that uses both GLONASS and GPS.[48] As of 2011, some of the latest receivers in the Garmin eTrex line also support GLONASS (along with GPS).[49] Apple's iPhone 4S, introduced in October 2011, supports GLONASS, in addition to GPS.[50]

- - Garmin has them already on the market shelves and of all things, the new Apple iPhone 4S.

- - It will be interesting to see who starts using the Chinese GPS and later I suspect just about everybody will jump on the European system when it becomes operational.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 06:14   #6

Quote:

b.
GLONASS has global coverage as of October according to Wikipedia: GLONASS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. This is the actual GLONASS website: Information analytical centre of GLONASS and GPS controlling. According to its Russian version, the last satellite has been delivered to the launch station today.

Swepos of Sweden uses it: ..:: SWEPOS - Navigering och Positionering med GPS ::... However, their website hasn't been updated with recent launches.

Another company that just started using it.... drum roll please! ....

Apple for their iPhone 4S: Apple Expands iPhone 4S GPS Capabilities with GLONASS Support - Mac Rumors. I guess this one might already be used by some yachties. It might be a good ad for the iPhone: "it will still work if GPS support dwindles".
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 10:49   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
Actually they are more available than we would expect.(...)
Yes. In this context I am aware. What I mean is if there are any happy owners around that a) have the mentioned functionality on their units AND b) have switched on and found the GLONASS work as advertised!

barnie
Old 24-10-2011, 12:11   #8

Boat: Aries 32

Garmin eTrex and GLONASS: A powerful combination
Dustymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 18:36   #9

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Yes. In this context I am aware. What I mean is if there are any happy owners around that a) have the mentioned functionality on their units AND b) have switched on and found the GLONASS work as advertised!
barnie
I would suspect it is a little early to know - since it seems that only the Garmin Etrex is Glosnass capable. Probably in a year or with next year's models of marine GPS's more and more brands and models will include the capability. Garmin seems to lead the pack in these areas.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 05:57   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
I would suspect it is a little early to know - since it seems that only the Garmin Etrex is Glosnass capable. Probably in a year or with next year's models of marine GPS's more and more brands and models will include the capability. Garmin seems to lead the pack in these areas.
Here:

source:
GLONASS in my hand | GPS Tracklog

the author seems to hint at such a possibility, right now, from an inexpensive, easily available unit.

Look at screen dump but it does not say GLONASS. It says GPS+GLONASS which may mean a couple of different things.

Where I am I cannot test though - these are not in shops here yet.

Anybody here at CF has one of these? Can they work off GLONASS solely?

The discussion following the above given source seems to suggest a 'GLONASS only' mode is not available. Which would be a bummer unless they are going to unlock this once GLONASS matures.

b.
Old 25-10-2011, 08:24   #11

Boat: Aries 32

Garmin (and apparently iPhone 4s, although I can't find a button on mine...) can work off GLONASS alone, but it's not something you can set manually. That's sort of the point - the combined receivers just treat it as one big constellation of 58 satellites, rather than 2 independent systems.

What possible advantage would a GLONASS-only mode provide?

GLONASS provides global coverage, more accuracy than GPS, and has the demonstrated support of the Russian government. What sort of maturity indicator are you waiting for?
Dustymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 09:44   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustymc View Post
Garmin (and apparently iPhone 4s, although I can't find a button on mine...) can work off GLONASS alone, but it's not something you can set manually. That's sort of the point - the combined receivers just treat it as one big constellation of 58 satellites, rather than 2 independent systems.

What possible advantage would a GLONASS-only mode provide?

GLONASS provides global coverage, more accuracy than GPS, and has the demonstrated support of the Russian government. What sort of maturity indicator are you waiting for?
My Friend!

I think you may be jumping to conclusions.

Where did you read that Garmin can work of GLONASS alone?

I will read the manual later today, but this is not clear from the specs info available on their website. I took my assumptions from the discussion that followed in the given source.

The GLONASS-only advantage could be e.g. that should the GPS fail, we could get our position from GLONASS. In the GPS+GLONASS mode, we have no way to test what happens when the GPS fails.

The maturity indicator I am talking about is seeing the system employed in a broad spectrum of applications where the real life benefits and shortcomings of the new systems could be found out.

In any case, I hope you are 100% right and I am only not well enough read!

Cheers,
b.

Tags
gps