Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2011, 19:06   #1

Google Maps for ICW

As we cruised down the ICW last year, I often wished that there was a Google Maps with ICW specific information -- everything from the magenta line itself to Anchorages, West Marines, Free Docks, etc. I really wanted to be able to search and see what anchorages were there within a day of my current position that were greater than our draft. I never really found anything that I really liked so I thought that maybe I could develop something myself (maybe a big mistake!).

I have created a site that is still VERY EARLY IN THE DEVELOPMENT process: http://clearboxsolutions.com/icw I started working on it hard but have lost a little bit of steam. I would appreciate feedback from anyone to determine if it is worth continuing development effort.

I envision it as a Wikipedia type site where users can add and modify any entries (I know that I certainly wouldn't be able to keep it up to date with everything).

It has many know issues:

* The SQL server seems to run really slowly on the service provider I'm using (GoDaddy.com). This makes the map content load fairly slowly. I have seen it take as long as 30-60 sec for the query to run that populates the magenta line!! I think this is a matter of getting a better hosting option at some point.
* It doesn't geolocate (determine where you are) right now. It always loads up at mile 0 in Norfolk.
* There is no decluttering if a lot of stuff gets added and you zoom way out.
* There is no mechanism to delete entries. I don't know how to handle this. Maybe have a link to a form that sends an email to me suggesting removal?
* I have done the development on Firefox. I have no idea if or how well it runs with other browsers. I do know that it doesn't load on my Android phone work a dang!
* Lots of features that I would like to add: Panoramio layer, online help, Android app,...

Thanks!
Mike
EpicAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2011, 05:44   #2
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Re: Google Maps for ICW

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicAdventure View Post
As we cruised down the ICW last year, I often wished that there was a Google Maps with ICW specific information -- everything from the magenta line itself to Anchorages, West Marines, Free Docks, etc. I really wanted to be able to search and see what anchorages were there within a day of my current position that were greater than our draft. I never really found anything that I really liked so I thought that maybe I could develop something myself (maybe a big mistake!).

I have created a site that is still VERY EARLY IN THE DEVELOPMENT process: http://clearboxsolutions.com/icw I started working on it hard but have lost a little bit of steam. I would appreciate feedback from anyone to determine if it is worth continuing development effort.

I envision it as a Wikipedia type site where users can add and modify any entries (I know that I certainly wouldn't be able to keep it up to date with everything).

It has many know issues:

* The SQL server seems to run really slowly on the service provider I'm using (GoDaddy.com). This makes the map content load fairly slowly. I have seen it take as long as 30-60 sec for the query to run that populates the magenta line!! I think this is a matter of getting a better hosting option at some point.
* It doesn't geolocate (determine where you are) right now. It always loads up at mile 0 in Norfolk.
* There is no decluttering if a lot of stuff gets added and you zoom way out.
* There is no mechanism to delete entries. I don't know how to handle this. Maybe have a link to a form that sends an email to me suggesting removal?
* I have done the development on Firefox. I have no idea if or how well it runs with other browsers. I do know that it doesn't load on my Android phone work a dang!
* Lots of features that I would like to add: Panoramio layer, online help, Android app,...

Thanks!
Mike
Have you seen activecaptain?

It already has thousands of marks for those areas. And lets you display the over regular maps like yours, plus over the NOAA marine charts, and over satellite images.

Maybe you have something in mind that Active Captain is not doing. If so, very cool. But if not, I didn't want you to waste time re-inventing the wheel.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 07:26   #3

No, I hadn't come across that site. It looks like it largely does what I had in mind.

It looks like a pretty good site!

Like so many of my great ideas -- they already exist!!
EpicAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 18:18   #4
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicAdventure View Post
No, I hadn't come across that site. It looks like it largely does what I had in mind.

It looks like a pretty good site!

Like so many of my great ideas -- they already exist!!
Ah, but you had the idea. And you went for it.

So many people don't even have the idea. And then 90% of them don't go for it.

So, you keep trying. One day you'll be the first.

I'm still trying, myself...

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
google, icw