As we cruised down the ICW
last year, I often wished that there was a Google
Maps with ICW
specific information -- everything from the magenta line itself to Anchorages
, West Marines, Free Docks, etc. I really wanted to be able to search and see what anchorages
were there within a day of my current
position that were greater than our draft
. I never really found anything that I really liked so I thought that maybe I could develop something myself (maybe a big mistake!).
I have created a site that is still VERY EARLY IN THE DEVELOPMENT process: http://clearboxsolutions.com/icw
I started working on it hard but have lost
a little bit of steam. I would appreciate feedback from anyone to determine if it is worth continuing development effort.
I envision it as a Wikipedia type site where users can add and modify any entries (I know that I certainly wouldn't be able to keep it up to date with everything).
It has many know issues:
* The SQL server seems to run really slowly on the service
provider I'm using (GoDaddy.com). This makes the map content load fairly slowly. I have seen it take as long as 30-60 sec for the query to run that populates the magenta line!! I think this is a matter of getting a better hosting option at some point.
* It doesn't geolocate (determine where you are) right now. It always loads up at mile 0 in Norfolk.
* There is no decluttering if a lot of stuff gets added and you zoom way out.
* There is no mechanism to delete entries. I don't know how to handle this. Maybe have a link to a form that sends an email
to me suggesting removal
* I have done the development on Firefox. I have no idea if or how well it runs with other browsers. I do know that it doesn't load on my Android phone
work a dang!
* Lots of features that I would like to add: Panoramio layer, online help, Android app,...