Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2015, 10:16   #1066

Boat: Tayana 52 CC
Re: Google Earth to BSB / KAP

Yep Paul that took care of it. I still am getting the error/warning about the accuracy, but it completed and made the chart ok. Will I be able to update in the future, or is this a one off that I need to stick with because of something unique to my configuration.

Any comment on the error on being posted on all the charts here: <<<Warning: Chart georef accuracy is poor.>>>

Is that caused by something I'm doing wrong? Or is it just the accuracy of the C93 charts? I just press OK and let it continue. Some of the errors have been over 500 meters using GE directly with GE2KAP, not GE plugin?

Thanks for a great piece of software and the quick fix.

Steve

Stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 00:14   #1067

Send a message via Skype™ to phiggins

SteveW,
I think you may not have followed the Help "Configuring Google Earth". More than likely the the Elevation Exaggeration is not set to .01. I can reproduce your problem by setting it to 1.0.

Paul
Old 09-04-2015, 12:52   #1068

Thanks again for the help Paul. This one posted here was with the rex file you sent me. It was the first time I was able to use GE plugin to make a chart. I guess I'm not clear on the interaction between GE and GE plugin.

I setup GE the way it was described in the help. Have exaggeration set to .01.

Does this automatically transfer to GE plugin settings? Or, does the plugin settings have to be configured separately? If so, where do you do that? I looked in OpenCPN plugin settings and it's not there.

Steve
Old 09-04-2015, 14:18   #1069

Stevew,If you get this error again with V17.0.0.1 then send me the Ge2kap.log.
Old 09-04-2015, 14:28   #1070

Will do Paul.
Old 12-04-2015, 01:57   #1071

DO NOT INSTALL LATEST VERSION OF GOOGLE EARTH!

It looks like Google has finally done it. They have removed the programming interface that allows GE2KAP and the OpenCPN GE plugin to communicate with Google earth

So don't upgrade to the latest version. If you have already, you can get an old version from my website that still works:

http://www.gdayii.ca/Downloads/googl...6.2.2.6613.exe

You can also install V7.0 from the Google earth downloads page by using the advanced options.

For both these old versions you may have to stop it initially then restart it for it to work with GE2KAP.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:32   #1072

Boat: Formerly Fuji 32 Ketch
Create GE2KAP Overlay 'Tutorial'

My 'tutorial' for creating an overlay using GE2KAP (Revision 9) is available for download here.

This revision includes instructions for downloading Google Earth Pro and making the appropriate settings for use with GE2KAP.

Terry
yachtvalhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 03:52   #1073

I'm getting a lot of people reporting that GE2KAP no longer works with the newest version of Google Earth or Google Earth Pro. So again...

GE and and GE Pro above V7.1.1 no longer have the API that GE2KAP uses activated. If you have installed one of these new versions, you must do the following:

You must uninstall all versions of GE or GE Pro that are higher than v7.1.1 then install an older version. You can get copy of GE Pro from my website by clicking on this link:

http://www.gdayii.ca/Downloads/GoogleEarthProWin.exe

When you install it, it will ask for your email address and a license code, use "gepfree" (without the quotes).

Note: this is a special version of GE Pro V7.1.2 that still has the API interface.

After installing DO Not launch Google earth from the install program. Let GE2KAP start it then follow the GE2KAP Help to setup GE properly.
Old 04-06-2015, 15:48   #1074

Boat: Hylas 46

Lots of cruisers use Macs so thought someone might be interested in a report on using GE2KAP with OpenCPN on a MacBook. Just got it running. It was a bit fussy to set up, but Paul was a great help and it seems to work well now.

The system is: MacBook running OS X 10.10.3, OpenCPN 4.0.0, Parallels 10.2.1 with Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1, Google Earth Pro 7.1.2.2041 and GE2KAP V17.0.1.2. GPS input is from a USB connected Globalsat BU-353.

As GE2KAP is written for Windows it must run on that and GE must also be installed on the Windows side. OpenCPN is on the Mac side as is the GPS input.

GE2KAP wouldn’t load the rexx interface with GE, so had to go to GE Pro, then, when starting GE2KAP continue to have message that “Typing Delay is Low” and if a typing test is performed it fails. If selecting “No” for typing test everything works OK. GE2KAP automatically starts GE Pro. As stated, nearly every installation had some fussy bits including the driver for the GPS, but just a little perseverance paid off. Don’t forget to set up GE as instructed (e.g. tools>options>3D View>Elevation Exaggeration: .01).

Haven’t found a way to save GE maps directly to the Mac, so they’re put on the Windows desktop from whence I drag and drop all the .KAP files for OpenCPN to find. Voila!

Jack
jackonanthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 22:41   #1075

Boat: Lagoon 440
GE2kap on Macs

Just a quick post. My set up is as follow: Mac 10.10.3, Virtual Box 4.2.28 with Windows 10 x64. I use CPN on the Mac screen but could never get to GE2kap to do my GE files so easy before this set up. It took me a couple hours (I'm no computer genius) but it all came smooth. I installed the GE2kap and got my first files relatively fast. I DID follow the online guide of Paul (a must), it's really well laid out, let the GE2kap install oorex then the GE it needs on its own, making sure to set up GE as he says. (by the way, good thing having 1 GE with GE2kap on Virtual Box and another GE version on the MAC). Windows 10 has a few glitches still so I also had to add the Virtual Box extensionpack 4.2.28 to transfer my kap files from the guest to host by USB, as the sync guest/host/guest still glitches on W10. All is well. This CPN/GE2kap combo with MAC/VB is a real piece of work! Good job and thanks Paul!
catlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 03:14   #1076

jackonanthem and catlag,
Thanks for the posts about using GE2KAP on a Mac.

Just got back from my boat in Mexico. Got to use for the first time charts created with GE2KAP and SasPlanet with the Navionics charts. The charts were really great especially for the coast of Mexico south of Cancun.

I am told that the the GE2KAP plugin for OpenCPN doesn't work with the newest beta OpenCPN version 4.1. As soon as I find out how to fix it I will.
Old 05-06-2015, 04:35   #1077

Boat: Phantom 19

Paul...
OpenCPN 4.1 migrated to wx3 and uses VS2013 toolchain, let me know if you need help rebuilding the plugin

Pavel

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 03:49   #1078

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Pavel It seems to build ok and I believe it is up on Beta File Thingie.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 05:33   #1079

Boat: Phantom 19

Rick..
I don't see GE2KAP plugin there. Aren't you confusing it with my GE plugin? And I know my plugin and most of the others build. Their official beta versions for OpenCPN 4.1 are at Plugins for OpenCPN 4.1 | Official OpenCPN Homepage and I built them...

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 05:49   #1080

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Pavel, you are right on both counts. Geocomapi_pi compiles. I tried it and it seems to bomb Ocpn 4.1.602 though. Of course I don't know what I am doing with the plugin. Tried to create gpx, kap and jpg with GEarth up and view selected. O bombed and I did not find any results in the destination.

Found this good help page.
GE2KAP Help
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bsb, google earth, paracelle