I already mentioned this in the OpenCPN
thread but thought I would post it here as well.
I have a program that will convert a Google earth
picture directly to a BSB/KAP chart without you having to enter any calibration data. I get the necessary calibration data directly from Google
earth using its ActiveX API.
This comes in very handy creating charts
where the official charts
are not great or don't exist.
Will leave it up to you on how to interpret the Google
The program is attached. If you want to try it, download it to a directory where you want to create the KAP charts and rename it to GE2KAP.REX (drop the .DOC).
PreReqs: To run this program you need the following prereqs:
1. This program is written in REXX programming language and uses the
oorexx interpreter. The lastest version of oorexx can be dowloaded from:
Open Object Rexx
please install V4.0.1 or higher: ooRexx4.0.1.i586.exe (32bit)
2. Convert.exe from Imagemagick download at:
- Click on "Binary Releases .... Windows" on left side of screen
- After installing copy the convert.exe from the installation
directory ( usually C:\Program Files\ImageMagick-6.6.1-Q16) to the
directory where you want to create the KAP files.
3. tif2bsb.exe which can be downloaded at:
Browse libbsb - read/write/convert BSB images Files on SourceForge.net
- After installing copy the tif2bsb.exe from the installation
(usually: C:\libbsb-0.0.3-win32\libbsb-0.0.3) to the the directory where you want to create the KAP files.
4. You must have Google Earth V5.1 or higher which can be download from:
Download Google Earth
5. and... this only runs on Windows (XP,Vista, Windows 7).
After installing all prereqs, put this program, convert.exe and tif2bsb.exe
in the folder that the KAP file will be built and then run by double clicking on GE2KAP.rex.
Follow the instructions to create a KAP file.
If you are running on Vista (and maybe Windows 7) be sure the folder that you run GE2KAP in has the necessary permission to allow Users Full Control.
If you run into any errors that are not obvious, please send me the GE2KAP.LOG
is phiggins()gmn-usa.com (replace the () with an @)