Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2010, 17:18   #46
Registered User
 
phiggins's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,277
Send a message via Skype™ to phiggins
HTML Code:
I'm sorry but how do I download GE2.rex? I don't see where it is attached?
www.gdayii.ca
__________________

__________________
Paul,
" One moment you are running along, the next you are no more." Dean Spanley
phiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:00   #47
Registered User
 
phiggins's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,277
Send a message via Skype™ to phiggins
I would like to ask those who like this idea of overlaying something on the Google earth picture a few questions:

1. Why do you do the overlay? Is it because you want to see depths? or?

2. I assume that the overlay is going to be from an existing chart that you somehow converted to a JPEG or TIF, correct? If not what is it?

The reason I ask is because I'm thinking about enhancing GE2KAP to allow you to specify a chart to overlay and have it automatically size and place it rather than doing it on GE (which BTW I find to be very difficult to do).
__________________

__________________
Paul,
" One moment you are running along, the next you are no more." Dean Spanley
phiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:42   #48
Senior Cruiser
 
sailorF54's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Perros-Guirec, France
Boat: Jeanneau Sunshine 36
Posts: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by phiggins View Post
I would like to ask those who like this idea of overlaying something on the Google earth picture a few questions:

1. Why do you do the overlay? Is it because you want to see depths? or?

2. I assume that the overlay is going to be from an existing chart that you somehow converted to a JPEG or TIF, correct? If not what is it?

The reason I ask is because I'm thinking about enhancing GE2KAP to allow you to specify a chart to overlay and have it automatically size and place it rather than doing it on GE (which BTW I find to be very difficult to do).
Re 1
In well-charted areas, GE pics mainly adds information on the nature of sea bottom (sand vs rocks..) and shore features (tracks, roads, buildings..) Occasionally, the GE pic is more recent and a more recent harbo(u)r lay-out will be visible.
In less-well charted areas, there may be a discrepancy between GE pics and charts. I've stolen this image from a discussion of GE2KAP on a French forum (Tetiaroa, French Polynesia)

Re 2 Correct.

Re 3 Reducing the amount of manual labour has been a traditional trend in the so-called developed countries ;-) That would be a great feature...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	offset.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	22470  
__________________
sailorF54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:08   #49
Senior Cruiser
 
sinbad7's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Ubatuba,SP,Brazil (Ex Norway)
Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Posts: 2,712
Images: 57
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7
Great idea Paul... I have made many approach/harbour plans using GE2KAP and it would be very convenient to also have soundings and seamarks included at the right scale. Not so easy to match the scale between the overlayed chart and GE.

MapTiler can overlay not only a bit map but also specifically a .kap map but found it difficult to use and apply satisfactorily. Presently,a bounding box must first be specified (N-S-E-W) earlier this was automatic.

Can't wait to try it!!

Regds
Tore
__________________
"And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by."
sinbad7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 13:15   #50
Senior Cruiser
 
sinbad7's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Ubatuba,SP,Brazil (Ex Norway)
Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Posts: 2,712
Images: 57
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7
Paul.. Google Maps for FSX allows capture of areas larger than the screen and produces the four map geo co-ordinates.
Having selected the size of either 1600 x 1200 or the largest 3200 x 2400,the large map will be created by pressing 'Windows'.

At this point,using Mozilla's add-on 'Screengrab',the entire large map can be stored in a location of your choice. Could this kind of feature be incorporated in GE2KAP with an overlay option?

Tore
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_02 Jan. 02 19.05.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	251.2 KB
ID:	22477  
__________________
"And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by."
sinbad7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 14:29   #51
Senior Cruiser
 
idpnd's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Almerķa, ES
Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Posts: 1,550
Sadly my four brain cells dont suffice for conjuring up this sort of software; they do however permit me to dream up - an opencpn plugin that automatically fetches a semi-transparent google maps terrain overlay for the current opencpn view, adding it as a selectable chart for future reference
__________________
sv Libertalia
idpnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 15:25   #52
Senior Cruiser
 
sinbad7's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Ubatuba,SP,Brazil (Ex Norway)
Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Posts: 2,712
Images: 57
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7
ispnd.. sounds great,but why not a satellite overlay so we can see the bottom conditions as well?

Tore
__________________
"And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by."
sinbad7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 15:30   #53
Senior Cruiser
 
sinbad7's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Ubatuba,SP,Brazil (Ex Norway)
Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Posts: 2,712
Images: 57
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7
Paul..
Here is a conversion as mentioned in my #50..
I can only show a scren full but the Puerto Cortes (Honduras) map covers a much larger area.

Tore
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_03 Jan. 02 21.27.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	249.6 KB
ID:	22484   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_04 Jan. 02 21.36.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	168.6 KB
ID:	22485  

__________________
"And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by."
sinbad7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 15:56   #54
oem
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Vejle, Denmark
Boat: Vindų 995 ds
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by idpnd View Post
Sadly my four brain cells dont suffice for conjuring up this sort of software; they do however permit me to dream up - an opencpn plugin that automatically fetches a semi-transparent google maps terrain overlay for the current opencpn view, adding it as a selectable chart for future reference
Being online or not being online is the question, I think. The latter justifies experiments with GE as overlay (or underlay) on/under a transparent chart. Or as separate charts.

I know that when I'm sailing and having data connection, I'm frequently checking my position on Google satellite images. It seems that sea-charts are becoming more and more 'outdated' concerning visual navigation, based on terrain, buildings, vegetation etc. on land. GE helps tremendously here, because the images are exact photoes of land, buildings, vegetation etc.

And thats where I see the possibilities, - as offline charts offering improved visual navigation possibilities as combinations of sea-charts and satellite images.

If data connection is present during sailing, then a possibility to click a GE map on current position is sufficient. Sometimes, when planning a trip it's also an advantage to see the depths, harbour plans etc. on top of the GE-image.

I agree on the possibility of a plugin in OpenCPN.

Fugawi has an excellent feature for GE integration, and PolarView can also integrate to GE.
__________________
oem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 16:59   #55
Registered User
 
bewitched's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 885
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by phiggins View Post
I would like to ask those who like this idea of overlaying something on the Google earth picture a few questions:

1. Why do you do the overlay? Is it because you want to see depths? or?

2. I assume that the overlay is going to be from an existing chart that you somehow converted to a JPEG or TIF, correct? If not what is it?

The reason I ask is because I'm thinking about enhancing GE2KAP to allow you to specify a chart to overlay and have it automatically size and place it rather than doing it on GE (which BTW I find to be very difficult to do).
1. For me, yes it's depth that I'm looking for. Also where there are new features (landfill, bridges, piers etc) not shown on the chart. Remember, where there is a lack of electronic charts, there is usually a lack of modern paper ones also.

2. Yes JPEG (or Tiff or PNG), but usually JPEG
I agree that the placing on GE is difficult and I worry about distorting the image.

If you do develop this feature, could I request that the jpeg can be placed without any distortion and by georeferencing and North & East (or west & south) offsets.

Where there is a lack of new charts, the old charts usually have the features well charted, but just in the wrong place.
__________________
bewitched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 22:45   #56
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by oem
Finally I had time to test GE2KAP. And it worked fine, after a couple of attempts mainly due to previous installations of libbsb and Imagemagick. After I re-installed those it worked fine, even with oorexx 4.1.0 (the newest).

Attached an example in Opencpn. Please note that I have a transparent chart (JPG-image) on top of the GE satellite image. A standard feature of GE. That gives extra information about depths and all other navigation relevant information.

It's quite interesting, I think.
Mate navionics on an ipad 3 g also get a few gps softwares wind rose compass etc,.. And ya saved thousands mate ! I have been navigating sydney at night for a year and found accurate within 10 ft !
__________________
excelpest2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 23:38   #57
Registered User
 
bewitched's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 885
Images: 3
That's Sydney Harbour - it's well charted with up to date electronic charts.

That's not true of many places in the world.

For the areas I sail, the paper charts in haven't been updated in over 60 years and there are no elecronic charts (of a small enough scale to be of any use).

What Paul is developing here will be a huge improvement for me.
__________________
bewitched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 00:37   #58
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bewitched
That's Sydney Harbour - it's well charted with up to date electronic charts.

That's not true of many places in the world.

For the areas I sail, the paper charts in haven't been updated in over 60 years and there are no elecronic charts (of a small enough scale to be of any use).

What Paul is developing here will be a huge improvement for me.
Sounds like he has filled in the spaces for us all cheers Paul
__________________
excelpest2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 03:55   #59
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad7 View Post
Paul..
Here is a conversion as mentioned in my #50..
I can only show a scren full but the Puerto Cortes (Honduras) map covers a much larger area.

Tore
How did you get the screengrab into OpenCPN, did you use the process as outlined in this thread or is there another way?
__________________
Solo sailing the world in a Contessa 32
http://ThereBePirates.com
ThereBePirates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 06:32   #60
Senior Cruiser
 
sinbad7's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Ubatuba,SP,Brazil (Ex Norway)
Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Posts: 2,712
Images: 57
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7
ThereBePirates..

As I mentioned in my #50 and #53,having saved the grabbed outsize bitmap,I use the geo locations generated in GM to produce a CHARTCAL file in MapCal II and Chartconvert to create the final .kap chart. An easy and quick conversion.

Tore
__________________

__________________
"And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by."
sinbad7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bsb, google earth, paracelle

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Google Earth ? phiggins Navigation 53 31-03-2012 20:39
Turkey Blocks Google Earth & Google Maps MarkJ Europe & Mediterranean 7 04-07-2010 12:30
Google Earth Sailing... Grasshopper Navigation 21 28-09-2009 11:02
Google Earth as an aid to navigation cat man do Navigation 9 01-05-2008 17:48


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 16:24.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.