Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2008, 15:55   #1

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Google Earth as an aid to navigation

Has anyone used Google earth as an aid to navigation, mainly for pre plotting an entrance into an area?

I found the new version shows more detail (or maybe it's my new 22'" monitor) and the measuring device is handy for seeing how far away things are and how wide entrances are.

But are the measurements and lat/long accurate enough to input to a GPS?

or are they only good enough to get within visual of the destination.

As an example, pics of a lagoon I was looking at.

Cold beer, cool water and crayfish, gotta be some around there

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Entrance.jpg
Views:	552
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	3279   Click image for larger version

Name:	Entrance 1.JPG
Views:	376
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	3280  

Click image for larger version

Name:	OOH Baby.JPG
Views:	337
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	3281  
Old 13-04-2008, 16:20   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Cat,

You draw less than most, but I would be reluctant to go in without scouting. Google Earth can give you an idea of where you might like to go, but I would take the precaution of anchoring and scouting in my dinghy with a hand-held depth sounder (available for about $100 US)
Old 13-04-2008, 16:29   #3

Boat: Jarcat 5, 5m, Mandy
You could check the lat and long with your gps when you pinpoint your cray. I imagine that if the water is clear enough for google earth, it is clear enough for you to see, visually (Nice bit of redundancy) whether you have enough water. Robert
Robertcateran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2008, 16:32   #4

Naturally so, I never go into strange places without a scout in the dinghy first.

Because of my shallow draft I always found the "Magic Stick" (boathook worked well enough, buy I would look at one of those handhelds if they are only $100 as well.

Handy for scouting out murky anchorages, I know, I have parked in ones with 30 ft tides and have seen very thin water the next morning where the chart said there was depth.

Dave
Old 13-04-2008, 18:15   #5

Boat: Trismus 37
I have used it to enter the Kaipara harbour as a visual aid, (depends as to how up to date the shots are) I printed copies for use on board. It showed the extent of the major sandbanks etc. Also used it where the chart survey stopped, the photo showing where I wanted to go was at low tide so I could see all the channels etc, it certainly worked for me. I think the lat and longitudes are correct as you can enter them to find a known shoal or reef, and there it is.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2008, 18:27   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Has anyone used Google earth as an aid to navigation, mainly for pre plotting an entrance into an area?
I can now have dual display with ENC charts and Google earth. The accuracy of the photos is not as good as charts. I wouldn't thread the needle with it and trust it. Photos have to be ratioed and rectified to be close to accurate and these are pretty high altitude stuff. It all is usefully to be sure but don't try a detailed approach with one when local knowledge is needed beyond what the charts say.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2008, 19:12   #7
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
This is a NOAA offering. New and pretty slick. The high altitute view is google earth. As you get closer it automatically switches view to nautical charts.

Here's the link

NOAA

Not a bad tool for route planning.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2008, 20:22   #8

Very cool site Rick, now for the rest of the world

Dave
Old 14-04-2008, 00:39   #9

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
I think they are good additions but the sat photos are more frequently updated for high density areas (like coastal towns) than for low (like idyllic anchorages). So for terrain association it makes nice but somewhat extraneous addition.

The future value, in my opinion, is what you can (or can’t) do once you reach shore. It would be great to know as I approach an island that the only place to get internet is the post office, that I have to use their computer, and that it is closed except for days they get mail in. Or the chandlery shop is out of 5/8 line but has 200’ of chain.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 17:48   #10

Boat: Panda/Baba 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Absolutely! Google earth is the only 'navigation' program I dare install on my work computer.
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
google earth, navigation