Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2009, 15:40   #31

Boat: finally a catamaran dive boat...
Send a message via MSN to cdennyb Send a message via Skype™ to cdennyb
Earth Bridge - Bridge the gap between Google Earth and your GPS receiver.

THIS FREEWARE PROGRAM MAKES JUST ABOUT ANY (oops locked capKey) handheld GPS unit compatible with the new or old free version of Google Earth.
I goto the area I'm going to be traveling or sailing in and do a closeup view so the GE program will cache the data stream for viewing later on.Then when the time comes, I fire up the handheld and laptop and start EarthBridge and I'm tracking and laying down a pathway at th same time. It's pretty good accuracy and if used as a tool in the arsenal of preventing me from grounding then it's great. Use it with care and it'll bring home a bunch of ariel views you could'nt get otherwise of where you were, literally.
Old 13-02-2009, 19:41   #32

Boat: 1973 Pearson 26
I didn't read every word of this thread, but I browsed through it all quickly. I didn't see this site mentioned. Google Earth + NOAA Charts:

NOAA
LeeSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2009, 05:00   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSailor View Post
I didn't read every word of this thread, but I browsed through it all quickly. I didn't see this site mentioned. Google Earth + NOAA Charts:

NOAA
Really cool site, tho' (with all that data) a little slow loading.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009, 21:23   #34

I think the best use of google earth is simply to stare at it and dream...at least that's what I find myself doing a good portion of the day.
BeBalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2009, 06:56   #35
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
This is a land-based example, but perhaps of interest.

A few friends here on Nevis have been using GE to plot our GPS waypoints from hiking expeditions. We're attempting to find new routes up to Nevis Peak (3232', 985 m), and to rehabilitate old trails that have fallen into disuse. It's a powerful tool, due to the realist visual representations you can achieve.

Here's an example in 3-D, below. BTW, I've found a fairly consistent error between GPS and GE here on Nevis. GE places our waypoints about 90-120 feet north of their actual locations.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trails in 3-D.jpg
Views:	480
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	7155  
Old 20-02-2009, 12:12   #36
GS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiggins View Post
One problem I found was measuring a bearing when making a path or line. I found a very useful compass tool that really helps:

Useful tools - Google Earth Community

If you make a chart from GE make sure you press the 'r' key to make the lat and lon lines parallel to the sides of the screen first.
Recent versions of GE provide the heading with the Ruler tool so this compass tool is unnecessary for obtaining headings but I found it can be useful for education and training so I modified it somewhat to make it a bit better, specially in reducing the unnecessarily large file size. I have posted it here.
GS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2009, 19:31   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Here's an example in 3-D, below. BTW, I've found a fairly consistent error between GPS and GE here on Nevis. GE places our way points about 90-120 feet north of their actual locations.
That's the problem with GE they use a "pound to fit" method. When you do the whole world (not all of it) you don't get to make new images. It's almost all done with existing mags banged into position. The fact that it works at all is pretty cool. I worked on the patent for measuring with accuracy from images. We started with land based images and now do air as well. That method does things a lot more accurate since the camera lens is located in space to exceptional accuracy using ring laser gyro and GPS with differential correction. The GE images are just eye balled into place. The seamless browsing is the key feature that gives it the illusion of being more than it is.

GE has added oblique images as well. Yahoo is doing the same for urban areas. There is a company doing roofing estimates using it as well. They can measure the roof with amazing accuracy. That stuff is much better than GE quality. You can click two pints and measure distances.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2009, 20:41   #38

Boat: Privilege 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
The fact that it works at all is pretty cool.
This is a great quote, because it's so true. Even with errors and shortcomings, GoogleEarth is really pretty amazing when you get your head around what it's doing and the vast quantity of data you can get to within seconds.
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2009, 21:49   #39

Boat: C&C 38'
Quote:
You can click two pints and measure distances.
Yep, clicking pints is always good!
Old 21-02-2009, 03:43   #40
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I'd click a pint or two with any of you swabbies!
Old 22-02-2009, 08:42   #41

Send a message via Skype™ to phiggins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
This is a land-based example, but perhaps of interest.

A few friends here on Nevis have been using GE to plot our GPS waypoints from hiking expeditions. We're attempting to find new routes up to Nevis Peak (3232', 985 m), and to rehabilitate old trails that have fallen into disuse. It's a powerful tool, due to the realist visual representations you can achieve.

Here's an example in 3-D, below. BTW, I've found a fairly consistent error between GPS and GE here on Nevis. GE places our waypoints about 90-120 feet north of their actual locations.
Hud,

I assume you mean GE is off as compared to your GPS, right? Was the GPS using WAAS?

I just tried a test on my location: I put a GE placemark on the corner of my street and the took my Garmin Etrek with WAAS on and went to the corner and created a waypoint. The GPS said the accuracy was +-25 feet. When I compared the GE placemark to the waypoint, the latitude was dead on. The longitude was off by .001 minutes which is about 5 feet. Pretty good I think. It would be interesting to see what other people find making a similiar test.

GS3,
Quote:
Recent versions of GE provide the heading with the Ruler tool so this compass tool is unnecessary for obtaining headings
Thanks, just before you reported that I noticed it and wondered if I hadn't noticed this before on the old version. But anyway that is good improvement, much easier to plot routes.
Old 22-02-2009, 12:48   #42
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Phiggins,

I took a waypoint on my verandah and entered the lat/lon into GE. The resultant point on GE was about 120' north of the aerial photo of my verandah. The GPS that I used is a Garmin GPS48 and not WAAS enabled. But one of the guys that I hike with has a WAAS handheld, and it looks like the trails that we've plotted with it are maybe 80-100' off, again to the north. I think the answer is what Paul said in his post, above. GE stitches the aerials together to visually fit. I imagine some areas of the globe fit better than others, thus your excellent accuracy results.
Old 13-03-2009, 02:05   #43

Boat: '75 Hunter 27 SD
Could someone one with a bit of experience have a look at this site please? It looks pretty interesting to me, but I am pretty short of know how ATM in the e-charts area. LOL I just learned all the different (Canadian) bouys last night, so chart reading is very new to me.

EarthNC - Nautical Data for a Digital World » Free 3D Charts & Maps

My club www.SYClub.ca
Greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2009, 04:26   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Could someone one with a bit of experience have a look at this site please?
Part of the site is about getting a DVD of charts all of which you could download for free. The other part is the overlay software to impose the ENC vector data over google earth 3D. That would be the part they actually add value for. It looks great in the examples they show but it's not like the rest of the planet looks that good. We have a raod trip to Top Sail Island, NC coming up and I played with the new Google Earth 3D to check it out. It's OK but it really isn't better. Viewing charts in 3D I thinkmloses it's wow factor once you start using them. You get information overload pretty quick. It is a cool video game like experience though.

The new ENC charts are easier to read than the old raster charts.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2009, 06:38   #45

Boat: Beneteau 305
I use GE in the planning stage for a trip, not for navigation. I find GE usefull in spotting possible anchoages, slips or towns which may be of interest. Also with the measureing tool I can get a rough estimate of the distance between legs (surprisingly close). As far as trying to compare GPS co-ords with GE, not sure how that works. When converting distances on a map to distances on the ground you must correct for two scale distortions, 1:effects of map projection distortion, and 2: the geometric effect of your height above the refenced surface. These are only a few reasons why your GPS does not jive perfectly with GE.
Exocet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
google earth