Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2010, 03:16   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Corporate Front Group?

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post

Citizens Against Government Waste (CAGW): What a fabulous name!

Who is for government waste? It sounds like a wonderful organization of patriotic people who are trying to make government better.

But, CAGW has provided a wide array of services to help corporate groups with Washington lobbying campaigns. Congressional records show the group's lobbying arm, the Council for Citizens Against Government Waste, has written hundreds of letters to members of the House and Senate on issues that have no apparent connection to the group's stated mission (Tobacco industry, Mexican Avacados, Microsoft, etc).

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2010, 05:04   #32

Boat: Beneteau 305
For those worried about the satilities falling from the sky's, and hence less reliability for your little garmin. The satilities which are due to fail are old technology, they are 30 years old. As newer satilites go up, they leave with the latest technology and better radios. You only need 4 satilites to get a fix, trick being that you need 4 continiously. It should also be noted that these are military satilites in which they de-tune for the average user to + or - 10 meters. There is also the russian satilites (called Glasnoss), as well as China (and I think Japan) planing to send up satilites of there own, mainly for military purposes, but will be available for the local user.
Now considering that the U.S. has invested huge resources in this technology for guiding thier missiles and those drone things that fly with no pilots, I would bet my boat that GPS is here to stay, will become more reliable as the newer more modern satilites are put into place.
As for Loran-C, it was great to have when there was nothing else, but now with GPS (more accurate etc..) it is truely time to put this great technology in the shed to be brought out only as a conversation piece.
Exocet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:58   #33

GOOD NIGHT LORAN C

I case you missed it today's the day when the Coast Guard shuts down most of the Loran C transmitters.
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: GOODNIGHT LORAN C

Capt. Mike
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG
mbianka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:02   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
There turning them down in Canada this year as well. Any ideas on how to repurpose old Loran gear? :-)
hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:11   #35

Well the case that holds the electronics for my Kings 8001 unit is pretty rugged. So I might find a use for it onboard. Unfortuntely, the electronics probably will not be useful except for those who like to tinker around. The unit was still reliable after twenty years.

Capt. Mike
mbianka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 22:37   #36

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30
There are still Loran chains elsewhere and you could always try to sell it on ebay but I doubt anyone will pay much for it.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 05:34   #37

Boat: Beneteau First 42
And now a note from the US Coast Guard's "Now You Tell Me?" Department

BBC News - Sat-nav devices face big errors as solar activity rises

(The video included in the above is informative.)
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 12:36   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
And now a note from the US Coast Guard's "Now You Tell Me?" Department

BBC News - Sat-nav devices face big errors as solar activity rises

(The video included in the above is informative.)
Well, according to the referenced article, sat nav could go down for tens of minutes a few times a year or lose accuracy to ten meters or so. I feel pretty certain I can DR myself across a ten minute or ten meter gap in coverage.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 13:03   #39

Boat: Alan Pape Cutter 44', Adventures!
I thought it was common knowledge that the USA GPS system was rapidly becoming obselescent. Two new systems are being put into service (not USA owned) and new receivers are said to be dual channel to recieve either system. Additonally in Europe eLoran is continuing to be rolled out and supported.

One may say if a system is safety related then its good to have confidence in who has control of the off switch! Or you make sure you have an alternative to hand.

If the demise of GPS is being kept quiet, one may ask why? I did read that certain companies shares have been declining recently.

I suggest we all do some research before committing our pennies to a new navigation tool.
Adventures! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 14:20   #40

Boat: Alan Pape Cutter 44', Adventures!
News on the UK / German system

BBC News - EU awards Galileo satellite-navigation contracts
Adventures! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 15:26   #41

Boat: 1962 28' Pearson Triton
If there was no GPS for civilian use, I wonder how many people would be crossing oceans in sailboats? I'm guessing the number would drastically be reduced. That could be a good thing for those longing for some less-crowded anchorages.
1962 Pearson Triton, #318
Triton318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:58   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac
Well, according to the referenced article, sat nav could go down for tens of minutes a few times a year or lose accuracy to ten meters or so.
Yeah. Can you say "hyperbole"? The headline says the system may "fail."

I guess an honest headline like "Brief, Minor Interruptions in Satnav System Will Hardly Affect Anyone" wouldn't have been catchy enough for them. A bit of a tangent to sailing subjects, but that's the problem with the media these days. They try to create public hysteria out of every little thing. And the problem with the public these days is that too many of them buy into the hysteria that the media is creating.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:35   #43

Boat: Beneteau First 42
And Now, 20/20 Hindsight or Oopsie

Ressurecting this old discussion in light of the suddenly recognized realities of GPS fragility, e.g. North Korea's black-out of GPS signals in south Korea for 16 daze and the resulting action Sail-World.com : eLoran - the alternative to GPS - inches towards reality . Think about it...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 13:19   #44

Boat: Valiant 42
Very unlikely E-LORAN will ever go on the air. Many LORAN antennas have been destroyed. There is zero support within USCG and US Congress. There are less expensive ways to deal with would be GPS pirates.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 13:26   #45

Boat: Skookum 53'
Re: Goodbye, Loran

Loran was never very dependable in Alaska, it would jump 10 "mikes" with no warning or error messages. We always used radar and dead reckoning as an adjunct.

Tags
loran, navigation, radio, uscg