Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2009, 06:38   #16

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDSinBKK View Post
If I'm understanding the specs from Garmin correctly, the 76s are serial only with NMEA 0183 - if you want USB you are in Garmin proprietary territory.
Not correct. I used this set up although I used the serial lead as I wanted to tap into it for a data feed to the VHF, and this is easier on the serial connector than on the USB

However, the usb feed is serial data anyway, and the computer then creates a virtual comm serial port (hence the use of franson)

Garmin also allows you to export data as either nmea or in garmins own format via either the serial or usb, and franson will translate the garmin proprietary to nmea as well!

Worked for me! I also used the extension aerial for the GPS76, plus the 12v feed.

The serial lead was converted to USB via an US232R-10 : Premium GOLD USB-RS232 Adapter cable from EasySync Ltd which worked first time and every time (and has done so for a number of other users that have bought following my recommendation).

This is not info from theory, but hands on experience into a laptop running maxsea 10.3 and CM-93 charts.

I use franson so I can share the gps data with Virtual Passage Planner, and with AIS software from www.shipplotter.com
Old 10-07-2009, 08:44   #17

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Back to the OP--If your older Garmin handhelds are like the Garmin 12, they still work fine and are keepers. If you think we are talking Greek, yourbest solution is to stock the fridge with good beer and invite another cruiser over. Most of them are engineers with too much time on their hands...
donradcliffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 18:27   #18

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38 - Mayero
Send a message via AIM to NDSinBKK Send a message via Skype™ to NDSinBKK
Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Back to the OP--If your older Garmin handhelds are like the Garmin 12, they still work fine and are keepers. If you think we are talking Greek, yourbest solution is to stock the fridge with good beer and invite another cruiser over. Most of them are engineers with too much time on their hands...
Actually one of the handhelds IS a 12, but the display is very faint to the point of not being usable. Still, if it's only interfacing to the computer then that may not be too big an issue.

I take your point, Don, but I really hate being defeated by technology, especially when it seems like what I'm trying to do should be an ordinary part of GPS interfacing. I'm surprised at how "messy" the various solutions are. I'll report back when I figure out how to do this for my boat.

Tks all.

S.
NDSinBKK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
garmin, maxsea