Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2017, 17:42   #1

Boat: Albin Vega
Garmin G2 Charts a Bad Idea?

The boat I just bought has a Garmin chart plotter on it and I've previously used Garmin G2 charts for Canada with reasonable success so I'm wondering if any of you could opine on purchasing g2 maps of my upcoming trip from England to British Columbia in Canada via Argentina/Peru etc.

The chart plotter already has charts for Ireland and most of the UK so I need charts from France to Cape Verdes but it looks like that'll cost around $800 USD which seems rather steep, is there a better way? I got all of Canada for something like $200 CAD.

I was also unable to find any G2 charts for Eastern Caribbean, how could they not have that?

would it be cheaper and wiser to just get a book of paper charts of the Eastern Caribbean at some point en route?

I looked into Navionics but they seem similarly priced and don't seem to offer any physical software like a micro sd card plus they want access to personal info on my devices so that's a lot of money to pay to be data mined, rather use something not connected to personal data such as the chart plotter
KetoNomad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charts, garmin