Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2018, 11:53   #31

Boat: Passport 40
Re: Garmin Bluechart Mobile Discontinued

If nav aids have moved, or are sumberged, an update won't do much. I think there is an over-update thing with the internet today. Oh well.

Quote:
Pretty often.. for example:

"DUE TO THE PASSAGE OF HURRICANE IRMA AND HURRICANE MARIA: AIDS TO NAVIGATION, STRUCTURES OR PLATFORMS MAY BE
DAMAGED, DESTROYED OR SUBMERGED. LIGHTED AND UNLIGHTED BUOYS MAY BE OFF STATION FROM ASSIGNED POSITIONS, BE DAMAGED,
EXTINGUISHED, SINK, OR OTHERWISE MADE INOPERATIVE. MARINERS SHOULD NOT RELY COMPLETELY UPON THE POSITION OR OPERATION"
gaucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2018, 10:10   #32

Boat: Little Harbor 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by neworleansrich View Post
Asside from the charts in the Garmin Bluechart App, the App was the easiest way to input on the spot information into ActiveCaptain.

This made the App and ActiveCaptain much more useful. I'm not sure how many people will go to the extra trouble to use the ActiveCaptain website to upload information and I don't think you can upload info from your Garmin Chartplotter yet. You would think Garmin would realize that crowd sourcing data is only as good as the crowd... No crowd, no data.

ActiveCaptain will probably die off. Whatever Garmin paid for ActiveCaptain may have just as well been flushed down the head.
You got that right! "You would think Garmin would realize that crowd sourcing data is only as good as the crowd... No crowd, no data."

Perhaps they will port the good Explorer Bahama data and AC to Navionics. Now that would be awesome.
Safari38LH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 09:32   #33

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari38LH View Post
You got that right! "You would think Garmin would realize that crowd sourcing data is only as good as the crowd... No crowd, no data."

Perhaps they will port the good Explorer Bahama data and AC to Navionics. Now that would be awesome.

And there is no reason why crowd sourced data and commercial/government data can’t be merged in the same app. For example, adding the Notice to Mariners data, similar to what waterway guides already do. In fact, I’m a little surprised Garmin hasn’t gone after waterway guides yet.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2019, 10:09   #34

Hi Folks,
it's quite a while that somebody has posted here....

I have the "old" Garmin BlueChart App with Bahamas Maps on my iPad Pro. The old maps worked perfectly until the update to iOS 13. Does anybody know how to cope with this?

Does Garmin give any old users a chance to somehow get the "old" maps into the new App ActiveCaptain?

Many thanks for some help.

Best regards
Klaus
klaus53123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2019, 18:20   #35

Boat: Hood 38

Ditto here I have the same problem. I am running a iPad 2 just did a auto upgrade of OS of 13.1.2. Now when I zoom in on a chart the background is grayed out. The AC symbols show but you have no idea to what they reference. I can click on each symbol and it expands with info. But its hunt and peck. No detail chart info. I have downloaded Aqua Map and have purchased forever charts for US & Explorer (Bahamas) - which is where I am headed.

My iPhone with BlueCharts Mobile is fine at release 12.4.2.
Rendova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2019, 00:37   #36

Location: Horseshoe Cove Sausalito/Currently in La Paz,BCS,Mex.
Boat: Ron Holland 43 Semi-custom Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaus53123 View Post
Hi Folks,
it's quite a while that somebody has posted here....

I have the "old" Garmin BlueChart App with Bahamas Maps on my iPad Pro. The old maps worked perfectly until the update to iOS 13. Does anybody know how to cope with this?

Does Garmin give any old users a chance to somehow get the "old" maps into the new App ActiveCaptain?

Many thanks for some help.

Best regards
Klaus
It seems Apple is having a number of issues with its latest iOS update. Check this out: <https://tinyurl.com/y44nu7dk>.

Tags
garmin, mob