Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 29-03-2012, 14:51   #16

Boat: Crealock 34
Re: From Chesapeake Bay to Florida-ICW or Offshore?

Starlight, thanks for the tip on mosquito control, will check it out.

I really like to make some tracks offshore when I can, and spend leisurely days at anchor - rather than taking the entire ICW down. This way I can hop from one favorite place to the next, or go inside when weather, crew or whim dictate. That said, if you are not on a timetable, then go at your leisure and stop regularly. It's not as much fun if you are on the move all day every day, in my opinion.

Echoing others opinions, your draft is fine if you stay in the channel and watch the tidal ranges for the shallow areas. Cruisersnet has updates for the ICW, check that site out for sure. I brought my new boat home from west coast FL a couple of years ago, drawing 4'. Didn't have a depth sounder but staying in channel kept me off the bottom.

Favorite spots are Cape Lookout and Beaufort, NC, Cape Romain, Charleston, Cumberland Island. Some good overnight+ hops are from Cape Fear to Charleston Harbor and Charleston Harbor to St Simons or perhaps St Marys.

Someone mentioned Okeechobee, and I think that is doable for you with your height. Dismal swamp is worth doing, and should be reasonably pleasant in June. Both of those sections are a little unique and worth checking out if the water levels are right....which there is a good chance they will be.

Hope you have a great cruise-

cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 15:03   #17
sitting on the dock of the bay

Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

we are in central florida on the intracoastal and i can assure you the sun is getting intense down here. temps are enjoyable but the UV index is extreme. be sure you have a good bimini and plenty of cold beer in your ice box. the ICW is well maintained in florida with most depths over 10 or 12 feet. a chart plotter is very reassuring to have

sometimes the things that may or may not be true are the things a man needs to believe in the most.
gonesail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 11:52   #18

Thanks for the reply Chase. Sounds like there are a lot of nice places to see along the way. My wife and I are both retired so we don't plan to follow a set schedule, just take our time and enjoy the sights. We're going to make a list of all the places fellow cruisers have told us about, and will check out as many as we can. Should be a great cruise as long as the heat doesn't get too bad.
Starlight35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 12:39   #19

Boat: Valiant 42
Send a message via AIM to svpattyd Send a message via Yahoo to svpattyd Send a message via Skype™ to svpattyd
When you get to FL, if you like nature/ park like settings try the new Marineland Marina, just south of St Auggies. Tell Chris we said hi.

svpattyd is offline   Reply With Quote

chesapeake bay, florida, icw, offshore

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: