Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2011, 12:30   #1

Boat: bavaria, 49 ft. sailboat
Question Frequency of Replacing Paper Charts

How often do paper charts need to be replaced?

Does the ocean/land/depth, etc. change that frequently?
In Training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 13:26   #2

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra
Re: Frequency of replacing paper charts

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Training View Post
How often do paper charts need to be replaced?
You could also consider updating them from the correction list provided by the Hydrographic Office. But it's a lot of work.

Quote:
It depends on the location. In some estuaries, hydrographers are sounding continuously. They don't even try to keep the charts current, they just have the buoys moved to follow the channel.

I have also seen a lighthouse being disused, buoys moved, etc.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 15:21   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Frequency of Replacing Paper Charts

In the best of all worlds one updates charts continuously via Notices to Mariners (in the States). As said above, this is a lot of work and requires having access to the notices (not so easy when cruising away from home).

In the real world, lots of cruisers (us included) have used third generation xerox's of twenty year old charts (or whatever) knowing that there could be discrepancies with both natural features (depths, etc) and man made things (buoys, wharves, etc). Extra caution is needed, and we all know that up to date charts are better... but availability and budget realities trump the theories. Most of us feel that even old charts are better than nothing.

I won't be surprised if this idea gets flamed by the armchair experts, but it represents reality for many cruisers.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 07-11-2011, 17:44   #4
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
In the best of all worlds one updates charts continuously via Notices to Mariners (in the States). As said above, this is a lot of work and requires having access to the notices (not so easy when cruising away from home).

In the real world, lots of cruisers (us included) have used third generation xerox's of twenty year old charts (or whatever) knowing that there could be discrepancies with both natural features (depths, etc) and man made things (buoys, wharves, etc). Extra caution is needed, and we all know that up to date charts are better... but availability and budget realities trump the theories. Most of us feel that even old charts are better than nothing.

I won't be surprised if this idea gets flamed by the armchair experts, but it represents reality for many cruisers.

Cheers,

Jim
What a complete idiot!!

Oh, wait, I agree with you. I saw the invitation to flame and got all excited there...

I would rather have 3 outdated ways to navigate than one up-to-date. Like outdated paper charts, outdated chart plotter and PC with outdated charts.

Of course, I'd RATHER have 3 sets of up-to-date charts. But, as you say, realities often dictate different.

Now, for something like the Intracoastal where there are scads of markers, changing channels, etc., the two long trips I've done there, I bought brand new chartkits for each. But that was less than $500 each time.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 17:47   #5
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

I've never ran into anything with an outdated chart yet.
...and Damn, I was hoping for a good Flame war as well.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:05   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

As a chart dealer I believe you should buy a new chart every time you leave the dock! What kind of idiot would leave the dock without a fresh chart? (How's that? Will it start the flame war?)
I doubt that there has ever been a chart printed that didn't have errors right off the press. You just have to be aware of that possibility. Same goes for electronic charts. When you do decide to buy new charts, take a look at Ocean Grafix print on demand charts. They are printed when you place the order and have all of the available corrections to within a few hours of printing. They are also printed on better paper than government charts.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:23   #7
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
What kind of idiot would leave the dock without a fresh chart?
The Chinese, the Phonecians, the Greeks, the Italians, the Vikings, the Spanish, the Portuguese Captn. Cook, Columbus, Balboa, Cabot, should I keep going?
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:27   #8
Armchair Bucketeer

Next Spring, Father's most used chart will turn 50 (bought brand new as a Newbie in 1962 - to go with an ex-RAF compass. and a pencil......surprised I got born ).

Not much updating done, if any - but most of the rocks haven't moved. and shifting sandbanks not really a problem for the most common routes........and the new Marinas / harbour are pretty obvious. Over the years bouys moved around a bit / changed shape & colour - but all pretty easy to work out......if it has a bouy or a stick over it, probably means a bl##dy great big rock or reef underneath
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:34   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Training View Post

Quite alot around Singapore. I've an old chart of Singapore from about 30 years back, absolutely no resemblemce to the S'pore of today
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:13   #10

Boat: Tartan 4100

They update charts??? WOW, all this time, I've been using a Chesapeake Bay chart from the war of 1812, it even shows where the French fleet blockaded the Hampton Roads entry...That's why I have avoided the area all together for fear of bombardment
Tortuga's Lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 14:21   #11
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortuga's Lie View Post
They update charts??? WOW, all this time, I've been using a Chesapeake Bay chart from the war of 1812, it even shows where the French fleet blockaded the Hampton Roads entry...That's why I have avoided the area all together for fear of bombardment
I can't believe you use a chart so old!!! I have much newer charts (from the 1860's). The penciled notes on it say that around Charleston, you gotta keep an eye out for a newfangled danger that doesn't even show on charts. They are calling it a "submarine".

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 18:21   #12

Boat: Jeanneau Sunshine 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
The Chinese, the Phonecians, the Greeks, the Italians, the Vikings, the Spanish, the Portuguese Captn. Cook, Columbus, Balboa, Cabot, should I keep going?
Anson, La Pérouse... I could go on (but it is past bed time in France...)
sailorF54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 18:32   #13

The land doesnt change much. Bouys are often non functioning, differnt colors and missing or out of place, especially in the third world. Occassionally a volcanic seamount will surface, but it will be all the talk in the surrounding locations. Use your old charts, but just remember, they just one more tool in the kit.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 19:36   #14

Boat: 1978 Marine Trader 36

Well this thread makes me feel better about buying a 1999 Bahamas chart book for $40 brand new the other day from a mom and pop sailing shop. They had quite a few sailing books. All new, they just didn't sell much of anything and were getting out of the business. $80 off the cover price. I have the 2011 edition for west coast of Florida from the same company and like it. We have a chart plotter, but I won't go anywhere without paper. (no I am not trying to start a fight)
Old 08-11-2011, 19:42   #15

What's a paper chart....
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charts