Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2018, 03:46   #631

Re: Free Routing Software. qtVlm

Quote:
Originally Posted by maitai View Post
Normally messages from your own transponder (AIVDO) are ignored. That is not the case?
NMEA sentences are routed by OpenPlotter and I did not change the AIVDM to AIVDO.

Quote:
You can setup "friends" list when you display the list of AIS targets (own fleet).
I will add something to be able to edit this list even if the target is not present.
Thanks, you understood exactly what I was hoping for.
skipperearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2018, 10:37   #632

Boat: Catalina 38

I hope this isn't off-topic but does anyone know what happened to the qtVlm download website? I've been trying to install it on a new computer and meltemus.com seems to be down and has been for a few days. I tried copying the install file from another computer but the install failed as I guess it needs to phone home. Thanks.
richwest3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2018, 10:41   #633

... works fine here.

(https://www.meltemus.fr/index.php/en/)

Carsten
CarstenWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2018, 10:58   #634

Thanks Carsten, that did the trick. The .com site seems to be down and that's what came up in Google.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:22   #635

No problem here as far as I can see with the dot com site. I'll check better but is it still down for you?
maitai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 11:33   #636

Yep, still no joy on the dot com site from New Zealand.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:23   #637

... fwiw - works for me even if I use a VPN connection to a server in New Zealand.

http://www.meltemus.com/ will 'redirect' to https://www.meltemus.com/index.php/en/

(but I see that 'calling paypalobjects.com and google-analytics on the pages take some (short) time - could be caused due to the detour of the VPN connection via New Zealand).

Regards,

Carsten
CarstenWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 05:22   #638

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Maitai,
I have qtvlm version 5.7 on my Samsung S4. The phone is running out of space and qtvlm seems to be taking up 354mb of my storage/miscellaneous files in the primary storage area. The total for miscellaneous files is 6.79gb and 6.29gb of that are system memory. QtVlm seems to use the most of all the apps that are listed (354mb), even when I have "Moved to SD Card".

Do you have any suggestions? I may have to remove qtVLM from this phone unfortunately.

Well I just deleted the 354mb in miscellaneous files and now when I try opening qtvlm it requests download of maps and uncompresses them. qtvlm then stops. I restart it and it recalibrates etc. Now under storage/miscellaneous files there is 367mb. It appears the maps are taking up this space. Why are they not moved to the SD card?
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 05:48   #639

Normally there is a button to move the maps elsewhere, including SD-card. On recent Android version applications can only write to a specific place (/android/data/org.meltemus.qtvlm/files) so you should move them there.

If this does not work (I will check), you can do it manually:

-Install qtVlm and maps
-Copy maps folder somewhere on the sdcard
-Go to qtVlm configuration and change gshhs folder
-Remove qtVlm/maps from internal card.

Note that you can do that for all other "big" folders (kaps, mbtiles, grib, VMH charts, etc).
Old 23-04-2018, 11:32   #640

Since I am here, version 5.8.0 has been released a week ago.

Main novelty: Visit My Harbour charts are supported on all platforms (Windows/Mac/Linux/Android/iOS/Raspberry).

Also a new possibility for locking tiles level in mbtiles mode, while still being able to zoom/unzoom. Very useful when you want to zoom on a particular detail without loading next level or chart.
Old 24-04-2018, 05:20   #641

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by maitai View Post
Normally there is a button to move the maps elsewhere, including SD-card. On recent Android version applications can only write to a specific place (/android/data/org.meltemus.qtvlm/files) so you should move them there.

If this does not work (I will check), you can do it manually:

-Install qtVlm and maps
-Copy maps folder somewhere on the sdcard
-Go to qtVlm configuration and change gshhs folder
-Remove qtVlm/maps from internal card.

Note that you can do that for all other "big" folders (kaps, mbtiles, grib, VMH charts, etc).
Perfect, I should have tried that myself. Thanks. I think I'll uninstall and install 5.8 and then move those directories to the SD card. I think this phone is new in 2013.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 10:28   #642

qtVlm and OpenCPN menu conflict.

Now that I'm using OpenCPN more, I've noticed a problem between OpenCPN and qtVlm. With both OpenCPN and qtVlm running at the same time, qtVlm's menu text is white on a white background. As a result, you can't see the menu items.

Funny, if I run qtVlm first, then open OpenCPN, this behavior occurs. If I run OpenCPN first, then qtVlm's menus are fine.

I'm running OpenCPN 4.8.0, Windows 10, x64, qtvlm 5.8.1.

Both OpenCPN and qtvlm are great -- I've moved away from commercial products. Thank you.
Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	opencpn-qtvlm.png
Views:	117
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	172946  
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 10:43   #643

Yes I know that and that bothers me a lot. It is a bug in Qt (the library), most probably because opencpn somehow interacts with the display driver or GPU. I have reported that to Qt some years ago but still waiting for a fix...
Turnaround is as you said, start qtVlm first, or restart qtVlm if you forgot

Philippe.
PS: I will send yet another mail to Qt guys...
Old 03-07-2018, 10:49   #644

Thanks for the quick confirmation -- I don't leave the laptop running 24/7. My morning routine is to download GRIBs (Airmail), run routing (qtVlm), and view charts, routes in OpenCPN. I like to go between qtVlm and OpenCPN.

No problem, as suggested, I can start OpenCPN first, then my normal routine. I'm glad this not something with my laptop! Thank you
Don
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2018, 04:37   #645

I like using qtVlm for weatherrouting and wish to suggest some improvements to the usability.
- the latest releases have a time-selection bar in the upper screen below the menu bar which I would like to be able to reposition / hide / or switch horiz/vertical
- the pathway function is a nice enhancement but is too limited in its editablility (would like to just take some wp from existing route and assign them to a new pathway, delete/add wp within segments of the pathway)
- import of gpx files to build pathways would be nice.
- In pathways destinct start date/time can be set but for routings (without pw) it always defaults to current date time. I usually do future planing so it would be nice if the last used date/time is remembered (even between system restarts)

I hope I dont ask for too much.
skipperearly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
qtVlm, software