Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2017, 07:47   #616

Re: Free Routing Software. qtVlm

FYI following some discussions on other topics with skiron people, they agreed to make their directories index-able, so you can now use in qtVlm customized grib download these addresses:

Index of /gribs_wrf_4km
Index of /gribs_wrf_12km
Index of /gribs_skiron
Index of /saildocs
maitai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 08:29   #617

Hi all,
this is my first message in this thread and please let me say a very stupid thing: "this is an absolutely wonderful piece of software!". Philippe you are doing such a great job. It is impossible to congratulate you enough.
I will be using it as the weather routing module during the next ARC Europe (Bermuda to Horta leg) starting on the 16th of May on Templars'f which is a '82 Baltic 51, forgetting all the other similar software products. I am actually trying to refine the polars using some old IMS certificates of a couple of sister boats, and the results and simulations seem quite realistic.
I will extensively try it from onboard during the last week of January downloading the gribs via sat and ssb.
Thank you so much for this masterpiece! Such a mess I didn't know about it before.
Happy new year,
Michele
Templars-f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 10:33   #618

Thanks Michele for the very nice comment, I want to take this opportunity to say big thanks to all who contributed, suggested, and also complained.

You can expect great things in qtVlm in 2018, we are already on it, especially for racers, and also for maps.

qtVlm 5.7.2 will be released in the coming days. Among other things, it will include a much better waves management than just avoiding waves height more than a limit, and some new instruments for racers. More on the new version soon

Have a wonderful year, all of you
Philippe.
Old 04-01-2018, 00:20   #619

Quote:
Originally Posted by maitai View Post
Among other things, it will include a much better waves management than just avoiding waves height more than a limit, and some new instruments for racers. .
Dear Philippe,
so we are entitled to take advantage of your kind availability

A nice to have, and probably not too complex to be implemented in the future, would be a "sail inventory / logbook". Something easy just to keep a track of "with what sails I was sailing in that leg / from mile to mile / from time to time" which would be helpful also to verify the differences between polars and perfomance (in the real life) with different set of sails and conditions. It might help also to log the eventual engine usage, or anchor dropping during particolarly strong tides/currents conditions.

After that (another release - more complex) it could be the sw itself to propose the best possible set of sails to be used for the currently running or the next leg.
Another (nice and complex) one is about "polars building / recording".

I am sure that all of us would love to be considered as (if needed) beta testers of any future release!

All the best and again thank you,
Michele
Templars-f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 06:26   #620

Hi Michele,

These have been already requested, in particular the second point. At least next version will have something to help choosing the best sail at the next mark (studying next mark + 1).

A full logbook system is really complicated (plus has some legal implications, regarding insurances for instance). Some data can be automated, some should not. It is in our plans to study this.

A sail-chooser system is a bit more straight-forward. Some of our users are very demanding on that (racing in quite famous races), so I guess that will be our next big move.

A good polar generator is really complicated. It depends a lot on instruments calibration, sea state, and much more.

For betas we will improve our system so more people can participate.
For the time being, willing people can found the latest beta (5.7.2-beta6b) here:
for Windows: http://www.virtual-winds.org/maitai/....7.2-beta6.exe
for Mac: http://www.virtual-winds.org/maitai/....7.2-beta6.dmg

If someone wants a beta for some other platform just tell me.

Best winds
Philippe
Old 13-01-2018, 23:14   #621

Hi Philippe - thank you for your great software and please keep it so intuitive to use as it is!
You mentioned enhancements with additional map sources. Please don't forget to add also o-charts. Thanks!
skipperearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2018, 07:20   #622
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

WOW

Stopped using this a 1-2 years ago. This software has really evolved nicely- it is incredible! Downloaded and sent donation

Well Done
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2018, 09:34   #623

Thanks Snore that is really appreciated (and needed).

Concerning o-charts there was some talk back in October but nothing since then. I will try to recontact them one day or another.
Old 22-02-2018, 12:01   #624

Version 5.7.3 available for all platforms (Windows/Linux/Raspberry/MacOS/Android/iOS)

- Mbtiles improvement in rendering speed plus a much wanted overzoom possibility.
- Support for KML and KMZ weather images
- and some more smaller improvements and fixes.

Philippe.

http://www.meltemus.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	444.4 KB
ID:	164643   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard02.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	431.9 KB
ID:	164644  

Old 22-02-2018, 14:32   #625

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Thanks again for a great program! The new version seemed to run and optimize routes faster this morning.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2018, 14:52   #626

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Phillippe, It looks pretty good. I'm going to have to try it out.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 00:43   #627

Phillippe, is it possible to include also CTS, TWS, TWA into the export table of the details of a route. I always like to keep a paper-backup of the planned route. Would be nice to have the wind and course data to check plan vs real.

Maybe after having selected export/route an option to select which columns should be included would be a nice enhancement.

And as I am on it: is there a way to keep all calculated routings but select which ones should be visible and which hidden?

Thanks for your great software - qtVlm is by far the most intuitive but powerful weatherrouting solution !!!
Old 13-03-2018, 01:16   #628

Thanks Freddie,
CTW (I suppose it is CTW) TWA and TWS etc are already exported as well as all other data. You can define which data is displayed (and exported) by using the small config button on the left.
You can hide routes via contextual menu or edition. To show them back you have to go through the menu and edit it.
BTW next version is almost ready and will have a way to add custom fields in routes , scriptable by the user. And some other cool stuff too.
Philippe.
Old 28-03-2018, 23:47   #629

Thanks Philippe, upgraded to 5.7.4 and used the routing on my resent transfer.
Great usability! - and I like the routelogbook as a backup.

One other thing I wondered and got no answer in the manual is : Where can I set my own ship MMSI so as not to get alarms from my own AIS transponder.
Also how to specify the MMSI's for the fleet members.
Old 29-03-2018, 00:29   #630

Normally messages from your own transponder (AIVDO) are ignored. That is not the case?
You can setup "friends" list when you display the list of AIS targets (own fleet).
I will add something to be able to edit this list even if the target is not present.

Speaking about 5.7.4, the main new feature is the ability to "script" yourself custom route's fields. This is in fact a user-defined javacript that can use all boat and grib data along the route. That can be used to calculate and show almost anything, like the the debit of a wind turbine or a solar panel, the percentage of time spent sailing at less than 60° TWA, etc. See documentation page 111 for more details.

Tags
qtVlm, software