Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2012, 05:18   #196

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: Free Routing Software. qtVlm

Maitai, I've never tried that. What is it useful for? Will have to mess with it.

Would it be possible to select a pivot point without having the alternative route being highlighted in order to be able to right click and pick Create a Pivot Point? In that case the program would selects the fastest route to the Pivot Point, highlight that, and then draw the isochrones for the next leg, etc? If it encounters the Downeast Maine situation "Ya can't git thar from here" it would pop a dialogue note to the user.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:21   #197

On another note to improve the program for new users, I think I would have a menu choice to create a new POI, even though it is readily available in the the right click menu. Why? - To get users into the the mindset that they can create POI and assign them to a new Route that they've created. I've been thinking about this menu item for awhile.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:42   #198

Please excuse me, that choice is right up there "Marks"
Old 08-12-2012, 07:04   #199

Yes. And next version will have some improvements in this menu too. Due for tomorrow in principle.
maitai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:32   #200

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Maitai, I've never tried that. What is it useful for? Will have to mess with it.
In some tricky situations it is useful not to route directly to the final destination. Then you can route again from the place/time you reached to the real target, but in that case you will have to merge two routes. That option avoids that by allowing you to pivot to a new destination, so the final route will include all.

For instance in case of an ice gate if you are south of it you can route more or less to the middle of the gate (or even better some point north of if, forcing you to cross it), and then make several pivots with the real destination (one east, one west side of the gate for instance)
Old 09-12-2012, 08:23   #201

This program has great depth with simple tools. As I get familiar with it, I am always impressed.

[QUOTE]Maitai: You can also choose a "pivot with options", which allow you to change the routing settings, including the final destination
[\QUOTE]

-Very interesting, rather than inserting a Pivot Point, it allows us to move the destination point and write a new route.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:56   #202

"Pivot with options" provides access to the "Routing Settings" dialogue box and the "Advanced Settings" Tab so that you can change the destination POI, and all the advanced settings (Wake angle, Exploration Coeff, Grib Forecast Modifications, and Min/Max Wind speed) for the next Routing segment.

Note: To change the destination, first create a new POI for the new destination before picking "Pivot with Options".
Old 16-12-2012, 05:24   #203

Boat: J/120

Sorry if this has already been asked in the previous 14 pages, but how do I edit a polar? I've tried opening an existing polar and modifying it, but when I upload to qtVlm it is garbage. I even tried just opening and existing .csv and just resaving the exact file without changing anything and that is garbage too. I'm using a Mac and Excel. It seems that this .csv is not compatible with the .csv the software is looking for. What am I missing? How should I edit the .csv's?
sv Shearwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2012, 06:15   #204

Polars take similar but different formats for different programs. I created polars for my boat using QtVlm here as an example. Try to follow the format on this post and other nearby posts from Maitai. Just use a simple text editor like Notepad or Notepad++

There is more detailed discussion about developing polars for your boat in the PCSail - Excel sheet to make VPP for Sailing yachts
outlining various VVP simulation programs and techniques, and Nmea programs to capture actual boat data to be used to create the polars.
Old 16-12-2012, 06:19   #205

Here is Maitai's review and additional explanation and advice
Old 16-12-2012, 08:53   #206

Well I suceeded finally. It was a bit painful and I don't know what the actual problem was, but after copying back and forth inside a text editor I finally got a custom polar to work in qtVlm.

Now another question. There are so many threads on this software that it is a bit difficult to search for specific questions. Is there a way to export a qtVlm route such that you can then import it into Navionics or iNavX? My preference is to do my navigation on an iPad or iPhone.

I see several comments about Save as .gpx file. That's what I want to do, but I can't figure out for the life of me how to do that. Is it not possible with a Mac?

Thanks.
Old 16-12-2012, 09:52   #207

Just give a gpx extension when you are asked for a file name
Old 16-12-2012, 10:26   #208

This thread has lots of information about using qtVlm in Virtual Race mode, which is similar to real mode. Also the English Wiki is helpful. I have a QtVlm discussion page here, where I've been trying to write down how to use qtVlm as I learn, which may also be helpful, any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 16-12-2012, 10:59   #209

Thanks. I had forgotten that after you click on an attachment in an email that you then have to click again and say open in iNavX. Poco a poco I'm getting qtVlm to do what I want it to do.

Totally awesome, by the way.
Old 23-12-2012, 05:24   #210

Anyone know why I can't load a COAMPS GRIB file? I can load it in other software, but when I try with qtVlm I get and error.

I'd sure like to compare this to GFS for a coastal route I have coming up.

Tags
qtVlm, software