Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2012, 11:17   #181

Re: Free Routing Software. qtVlm

Quote:
Originally Posted by maitai View Post
Concernng the best angle upwind or downwind, i'm afraid it's not a matter of taste. It's directly implied by the polar. In other words if you feel that the calculated angle is not correct then your polar is not correct.

The thing with sims is that one has to use the polar the sim is providing/using, me think ?

I just wondered of it would be adjustable..i guess this means no ?
DIKKEHENK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2012, 11:28   #182

Give the polar from the sim to qtVlm and that's all. Polar and best wind angle are the same thing. You cannot force best wind angles, you can just adjust the polar If the polar given by the sim does not give good results then the sim gave you a wrong polar, or the sim is wrong when it calculates best wind angles.
maitai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2012, 21:43   #183

Boat: HR382

Hi Maitai,
where can i find the changelog for qtvlm. at the moment there is every day an new version or a new patch and i dont know if i need to update.
Hartmut
hwecken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 01:39   #184

Hello Hartmut,

Yes you should take the latest (3.3.4-patch3). There was a nasty bug in the 3.3.4 (3 in fact ) and we were obliged to fix them on the spot, sorry for that. Things seem stable now (crossing fingers).
Old 07-12-2012, 04:28   #185

Boat: Van der Stadt Samoa 48

I really like the features of qtvlm, and find I find the program very useful.

I tried to make a route from Falmouth in UK to La Coruna in Spain last night. I entered wind restrictions and the program could therefore not find a route, due to high winds.
It could be very useful if the program could find an appropriate weather window, if it exists in the period covered by the gribfile.

The feature should be optional for planning in harbor, and based on a couple of parameters, such as how long time can the appropriate route take compares to the optimal route, wind speed and wave high.

I would like to discuss this subject if anybody has an opinion

Lars
Taarnskov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:40   #186

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7

Hi Lars..

Perhaps you have to try out different departure data/time manually to correspond with your wind restriction setting? This might be a feature which in future versions could be automated?

If you use OpenCPN,you can enter your route and boat speed to obtain sailing time.
Using qtVlm to optimize the route between two points,it will tell you how much time you are saving.

For more details of the program you should ask īmaitaiī in this thread.

Tore
Old 07-12-2012, 04:45   #187

Boat: Van der Stadt Samoa 48

Hi Tore,

I know i can try out different departure times manually, but would like qtvlm to do automatically.

Lars
Taarnskov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:04   #188
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

If I have made an optimal routing, but now want to look at alternatives, what is the best/easiest way to put a 'pivot' waypoint in the routing, to pull it in a certain direction and then see what is optimal?
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:51   #189

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7

Lars..

As I also suggested,would be a great additional feature if qtVlm could search through the available grib data to find the next period with winds not exceeding the set limits.

erstarzinger..

Yes,you can then use Routes/create route, inserting as many wptīs as required.

Tore
Old 07-12-2012, 07:47   #190

On other good way to "see" what is ahead as far as wind strength is concerned is to hide isochrons and show "color TWS between iso" (or something like that in english, the last option on the right/bottom side). It shows TWS that WILL be effective when you will pass there, and therefore can help choosing a pivot point.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:08   #191
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad7 View Post
Lars..

As I also suggested,would be a great additional feature if qtVlm could search through the available grib data to find the next period with winds not exceeding the set limits.

erstarzinger..

Yes,you can then use Routes/create route, inserting as many wptīs as required.

Tore
Thanks . . . Yes, I understand I can create a route and then 'optimize it' . . .

but that's not really what I was after. Lets say I do a routing, and I don't like the result and I would prefer it go south of a weather feature rather than north. In Adrena I modify the routing, using the mouse to place a pivot waypoint (south of the feature where I want it) and it shows the optimal route to the pivot as I drag it around, and then when I place the pivot it finds the optimal way to the finish. Is there a similar easy way to do this in virtual winds?
Old 07-12-2012, 16:30   #192

Yes it's exactly the same behavior. Right-click on an iso-point and ask for a pivot. You can do that only before convertir the routing in a route of course, and with isochrons shown.
Old 07-12-2012, 16:50   #193

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

I've found that after creating a Routing, to establish a Pivot Point with a different route alignment, you must click on the sea, then hover and wait a little for a new highlighted Routing alignment to show. If that does not happen, move the cursor back towards the boat and get the new alignment started by hesitating and trying to draw it out. Its a bit ticklish, but you'lll get the hang of it. Once you get the highlighted alternative route anywhere near where you want it, Mouse Right Click and pick "Create a Pivot Point". The isochrones will redraw. You can create multiple Pivot Points. Once you've finished, fine tune, by Converting to a "Route", then uncheck "Hide intermediate POI" to show the POI with Green boxes. Go back to the chart and move your Pivot Points by highlighting the POI and pressing Shift+Mouse Left Button and drag. Then release the left button. Then simplify and optimize the Route. Note: A Pivot Point sets that POI with "Not Simplifiable" Checked so that a Simplification will not delete it and optimization will not move it.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 17:29   #194
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Terrific , that works, thank you both.

But hmmm . . . what other really useful trick/tips are 'hidden' in the program like that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maitai View Post
Yes it's exactly the same behavior. Right-click on an iso-point and ask for a pivot. You can do that only before convertir the routing in a route of course, and with isochrons shown.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
I've found that after creating a Routing, to establish a Pivot Point with a different route alignment, you must click on the sea, then hover and wait a little for a new highlighted Routing alignment to show. If that does not happen, move the cursor back towards the boat and get the new alignment started by hesitating and trying to draw it out. Its a bit ticklish, but you'lll get the hang of it. Once you get the highlighted alternative route anywhere near where you want it, Mouse Right Click and pick "Create a Pivot Point". The isochrones will redraw. You can create multiple Pivot Points. Once you've finished, fine tune, by Converting to a "Route", then uncheck "Hide intermediate POI" to show the POI with Green boxes. Go back to the chart and move your Pivot Points by highlighting the POI and pressing Shift+Mouse Left Button and drag. Then release the left button. Then simplify and optimize the Route. Note: A Pivot Point sets that POI with "Not Simplifiable" Checked so that a Simplification will not delete it and optimization will not move it.
Old 07-12-2012, 23:38   #195

You can also choose a "pivot with options", which allow you to change the routing settings, including the final destination

Tags
qtVlm, software